Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lombardi: Clausen worse in practice than in games

62 posts in this topic

Posted

The bottom line is that JC ran an NFL offense at ND, was said to have an elite football IQ, and was supposed to be proficient at reading defenses and going through his progressions. I seriously doubt that he completed a single pass to his 3rd option, unless it was a checkdown though. This is why I laugh at all the people who are so worried about Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert being able to go through their progressions. It's pretty much impossible that they could be any worse at it.

1 person likes this

Posted

The terminology was the same and it wasn't a variation of the WCO but a variation of the erhardt perkins system which he installed in New England. Yeah the Patriots of 2007 when they threw all day used the same system that the Panthers did in 2010. They obviously ran it differently and with better personnel but if you aren't running a WCO or Coryell system it is likely a variation of the EP system.

Getting the ball out is a staple of most systems and isn't unique to a WCO. WCO uses timing routes and throw to a spot expecting the receiver to get there and use a short passing game to replace the running game. As such Weiss's system was not that.

Weis and Clausen and everyone at Notre Dame claimed it was a WCO....

Did you watch Clausen at ND? Or are you basing it all off what you saw Weis do in NE?

I mean, imo, there is little to debate Weis and Fox asked Jimmy to do COMPLETELY different things at QB.

Posted

There is no way in hell he can be worse. He couldn't throw a TD in a game, so I guess he couldn't throw one in practice either.

Posted

Moore also sucked in 2010, worse than Clausen. His QB rating was lower, more ints in fewer games. I am telling you, the coaching staff did not care about 2011. Not one little bit. How much time do you think they dedicated to Jimmy Clausen until Moore was hurt?

Moore outplayed Clausen by miles don't even play that. Moore never had the consistent faith of Foxy. Moore looked pretty damn good for an undrafted rookie in 2007. Fox and his staff had 3 years to ruin him with his ass clown QB coaches yet he still played the best in 2010. Let's not act like Moore was Fox's guy in 2010. He was always eager to replace him.

In 2009 Fox decided he would rather watch Jake humiliate himself then give Moore a shot when there was still time to save the season. Then they say he's the guy and finally show him some faith and then they cut the legs right from under him and draft Jimmy. Moore has been so disrespected by the previous staff it's not even funny. Just because he didn't yell and shout like the ragin cajun fox saw it as a character flaw.

Posted

Plain and simple we need an upgrade and we will get one via the draft.

LOL at people debating who outplayed who between Moore and Clausen lose/lose situation time to move on they're both garbage. Moore is who he is and it can only go up for JC if he puts in work he'll be a solid back up.

1 person likes this

Posted

Weis and Clausen and everyone at Notre Dame claimed it was a WCO....

Did you watch Clausen at ND? Or are you basing it all off what you saw Weis do in NE?

I mean, imo, there is little to debate Weis and Fox asked Jimmy to do COMPLETELY different things at QB.

I understand where the confusion lies.

They had elements of a pro WCO offense with some timing passes, quick outs and slants but WCO offenses in the pros largely replace the running game with a short passing game. In college that isn't the case so a WCO offense in college look more like an EP system hybrid in the pros. For example Luck was in a college WCO at Stanford by all accounts last year. Yet they passed the ball 379 times and ran it 535 times.

Likewise in Clausen's last year, Notre Dame ran 401 times and passed for 447. In the pros that would not be usually classified as a WCO but could be a run heavy variation.

Did the Patriots system in 2007 look like the Panther system in 2008?? They are. There are different variations in every system and teams gameplan for what they do best.

But by all accounts the teminology was similar and he supposedly was familar with the system.

Posted

What evidence is there that Fox's staff either didn't want to coach jimmy or didn't know how to coach rookies?

Posted

What evidence is there that Fox's staff either didn't want to coach jimmy or didn't know how to coach rookies?

There is not one shred if evidence to back up those claims.

Posted

The 2010 season.

Posted

In the years that John Fox was our coach, not once did he clearly show the ability to evaluate or develope a QB. Jake spent his developmental years with the Saints. And it took Fox longer than anyone else to determine that Jake was done. None of the rest of the qb's during the Fox era is worth mentioning.

I am not saying that I think Clausen will be a good QB, but I certainly don't trust the Fox staff to properly evaluate or teach him.

1 person likes this

Posted

There is not one shred if evidence to back up those claims.

Actually there is.

Brett Jensen interviewed a Panthers higher-up who said that Fox and the coaching staff were somewhat lackadaisical in how they approached the rookies last year (especially Armanti Edwards). Throw in that Rip Scherer's record as a pro QB coach leaves a lot to be desired.

Doesn't mean I think Clausen will be a success, mind you, but that - as well as other factors - do mean that last year wasn't necessarily the best template for judging.

Posted

Actually there is.

Brett Jensen interviewed a Panthers higher-up who said that Fox and the coaching staff were somewhat lackadaisical in how they approached the rookies last year (especially Armanti Edwards). Throw in that Rip Scherer's record as a pro QB coach leaves a lot to be desired.

Doesn't mean I think Clausen will be a success, mind you, but that - as well as other factors - do mean that last year wasn't necessarily the best template for judging.

Clausen was inserted week 2....played in 13 games and started 11. He got plenty of attention/coaching.

Fox has a winning record with Jake Delhomme

Fox has a winning record with Matt Moore.

Neither were great QBs. Fox still won. Fox can create an enviroment where an average QB can find success (even young rookie QBs)......Jimmy flat out didn't fit.

I don't think it is fair to say b/c he opted not to deal w/ Edwards than that somehow means Clausen didn't get a fair shot. Weak logic imo.