Photo
- - - - -

Dems renege on promise to post stimulus bill 48 hours before vote

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:36 AM

Are we surprised? Hell, the document's only about 1400 pages long ....

http://www.humaneven...le.php?id=30697

In a press conference Thursday, the House Republican leadership spoke candidly about being kept out of the House-Senate conference on the Obama-Pelosi-Reid so-called “economic stimulus” bill. They confirmed they had not yet seen the text of the bill as of 4 p.m.

Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) said he was unsure how many Democrats would vote with Republicans again on this bill but that he thought Republicans “may get a few” Democrats to side with them. The fact that the Demos have now broken their promise to have the public able to see the bill for 48 hours may drive more Dems into the Republican camp.

“[I] don’t know, ‘cause they haven’t seen the bill either,” Boehner said.

“The American people have a right to know what’s in this bill,” Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind) told HUMAN EVENTS after the press conference. “Every member of Congress -- Republicans and Democrats -- voted to post this bill on the internet for 48 hours, 48 hours ago. We’ll see if the Democrats keep their word.”

Actually -- as of 5:15 pm, the Democrats had broken their word. The stimulus bill -- which we still haven’t seen -- will be released late tonight and will be brought up on the House floor at 9 am tomorrow.

The following statement was released by Majority Leader Steny Hoyer at 4:57 p.m.:

"The House is scheduled to meet at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow and is expected to proceed directly to consideration of the American Recovery and Reinvestment conference report. The conference report text will be filed this evening, giving members enough time to review the conference report before voting on it tomorrow afternoon."

Meanwhile, at an earlier presser Thursday, Pelosi -- while talking about legislation regarding school construction funds -- said it was vital to see the language of a bill before making decisions. ReadtheStimulus.org had the following quote:

“With all of this you have to see the language. You said this --- I said that --- I understood it to be this way --- you know, we wanted to see it in writing and when we did that then we were able to go forward."

"Around here language means a lot. Words weigh a ton and one person's understanding of a spoken description might vary from another's. We wanted to see it. And not only just I had to see it, I had to show it to my colleagues and my caucus. We wanted to take all the time that was necessary to make sure it was right."

Congressional members are also exchanging barbs via the popular social network Twitter. Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) twittered, "Don't know when we're going to vote. Will the no votes delay vote just because they can? Speed is important. They know that."

House Republican Whip Eric Cantor (R-Va.) twittered back, “Those in favor of speed over commonsense may just be afraid of letting the People know what they are ramming through.”

UPDATE: The Democrats finally made the bill's language available around 11 p.m. Thursday, approximately 10 hours before members meet Friday to consider the bill and 38 hours short of the time promised Americans to review the bill.

#2 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:46 AM

You mean they needed more time to make sure a 1400 page document was presented as accurately as possible? Shame!

http://www.cnn.com/2...ulus/index.html

They are not voting until at least 8PM now anyways.

#3 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:00 AM

Well, that's going to delay Nancy's departure for her European trip ...

Still not the promised 48 hours.

#4 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

Well we have to give you something to pretend to be angry about, don't we?

#5 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:35 AM

Well we have to give you something to pretend to be angry about, don't we?

I know you don't care ... you trust your government ... it's what makes you you.

#6 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:05 AM

Yes, as you have seen firsthand, my total trust in the government over the past 8 years has been unwavering.

#7 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

so why the flip-flop?

#8 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,308 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

I am afraid in over the next 4 yrs, we will all feel like CWG avatar looks.

Just bigger and deeper

#9 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,134 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

so why the flip-flop?

you might ask yourself that one.

#10 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

Have I said I trust the government any more or less?

I do however, hope that some of the things I hated about the last 8 years will get resolved a little more to my liking.

#11 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,308 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:27 PM

One of the worst regimes in history is replaced with a democratic government, still in its infancy, but democratic nonetheless.

Troops are already coming home, with or without Obama. Green zone turned over to Iraq weeks ago, without Obama. Dems hate Bush over this. Oh yeah, I forgot that underwear on the head incident.

Under Obama, terrorists on their way to freedom.

Gas prices on the way back up

Tax cheats running the IRS
But hey, it's only been a month.
The 100 day report card should be tremendous.
CWG, this what you're looking for.

#12 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,134 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:56 PM

One of the worst regimes in history is replaced with a democratic government

on january 20th

#13 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

you might ask yourself that one.

Not me ... I'm not a government-lover. I want less government, less nanny state, less taxes, more personal responsibility. Always have ... show me where I've ever advocated for more government.

#14 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,134 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

when you voted for bush after he expanded the government.

#15 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

when you voted for bush after he expanded the government.

Were you in a coma in late 2001?

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com