<

Photo
- - - - -

Source: Panthers leaning to stick w/Clausen & pick Dareus

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
274 replies to this topic

#271 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

Our biggest weakness? Probably not.

Bad in 2010? Hard to argue that.

#272 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

Well yeah in 2010 they sucked but we also had Gross coming back from injury and Otah missed the whole season which scrambled everything else up. It's not far fetched to think that Otah coming back will solve a lot of problems, because it will. But we do need to find some talented back up. Maybe even invest a 3rd in a OT and groom him to eventually replace Gross. Schwartz is a quality player, but we need another back up tackle. Or Robinson could get off his ass and contribute for a change.

Edited by OneBadassCat, 24 March 2011 - 02:34 PM.

#273 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

I disagree that o-line is our biggest weakness but I think we should at least look into some mid tier FA's and maybe some late round fliers in the draft for back ups.

I think Rivera has said it is our biggest strength didn't he?

#274 MHS831

MHS831

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

I think Rivera has said it is our biggest strength didn't he?

Our LBs aren't? We need depth and here is why: Gross and wharton are on the wrong side of 30. Otah is having way too much trouble with a 24 year old knee to feel the OL is solid. Kalil is on a 1-year deal and Schwartz is our RG. The draft is not all about 2011, but to anticipate needs in the future.

Why draft players in the 3rd or later based on 2011 needs when they take a season or two to be ready to play?

Since we don't have a second rounder, we almost have to draft a CB in the third round and hope that he can play nickel for a year and will develop into a player.

I think we should get a guy in the draft (4th round) who can play both tackle spots and possibly RG. Willie Smith from ECU has a tremendous upside. Pinkston from Pittsburgh is short, but he can play LT and G. Could drop. Carpenter from Bama, Hairston from Clemson, Brewer from Indiana all have developmental potential, which is all you are going to get that late in the draft.

Our line is a strength when it is healthy. But if you look at the age of the left side, the inexperience and injury history of the right side, and the contract status of the center, we need depth. Anybody with a vision of the future and knowledge of football would agree.

Williams, Bernadeau? We need better.

Edited by MHS831, 24 March 2011 - 04:07 PM.

#275 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:29 PM

Our LBs aren't? We need depth and here is why: Gross and wharton are on the wrong side of 30. Otah is having way too much trouble with a 24 year old knee to feel the OL is solid. Kalil is on a 1-year deal and Schwartz is our RG. The draft is not all about 2011, but to anticipate needs in the future.

Why draft players in the 3rd or later based on 2011 needs when they take a season or two to be ready to play?

Since we don't have a second rounder, we almost have to draft a CB in the third round and hope that he can play nickel for a year and will develop into a player.

I think we should get a guy in the draft (4th round) who can play both tackle spots and possibly RG. Willie Smith from ECU has a tremendous upside. Pinkston from Pittsburgh is short, but he can play LT and G. Could drop. Carpenter from Bama, Hairston from Clemson, Brewer from Indiana all have developmental potential, which is all you are going to get that late in the draft.

Our line is a strength when it is healthy. But if you look at the age of the left side, the inexperience and injury history of the right side, and the contract status of the center, we need depth. Anybody with a vision of the future and knowledge of football would agree.

Williams, Bernadeau? We need better.

not my opinion. Rivera was boasting about how the OL would be the foundation of this team and he saw that as the biggest strength.

I think a backfield that can run w/ poor OL play and literally no passing game is our biggest strength. What they did in 2010 was amazing after the standard slow start. I am surprised people don't realize exactly how impressive that is. Then I would agree LBs pending Davis can be 95% of what he was.