195 replies to this topic

#151 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,833 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

Guys...we can't claim Smith is gonna be a slot receiver and has lost a step next year...

Yet want anything higher than a 4th rounder for him

With Smittys salary a 4th is all that you can expect to get for him.

Known league wide as a distraction last season, and some others, along with age, and injuries as of late, and no team outside of the Raiders will give us anything better than a 4.

#152 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,736 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:43 PM

People are still going off of what Smith used to be, when the evidence would indicate he's not quite the player he once was.

Hate it, but it happens to all of them.

#153 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:05 PM

People are still going off of what Smith used to be, when the evidence would indicate he's not quite the player he once was.

Just to touch on this...

People are also saying that he still has explosion, awful QB situations and is still as competitive as there is. Unfortunately any potential trading partner will look at the last two years and say, "wheres the production?"

4 months after becoming the 5th fastest player to reach 7,000 yards, Anquan Boldin was traded for a 3rd and 4th and received a 5th round pick, which amounted to roughly the 84th pick in the draft.

Now consider that Boldin then went on to be the fastest player EVER to reach 600 receptions. What major achievements has Smitty achieved beyond his triple crown in 2005? He hasn't even finished a season since then...

A little caveat. Smith gained more yards in 2005 than he has the past two seasons.

#154 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,889 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:21 PM

Just to touch on this...

People are also saying that he still has explosion, awful QB situations and is still as competitive as there is. Unfortunately any potential trading partner will look at the last two years and say, "wheres the production?"

4 months after becoming the 5th fastest player to reach 7,000 yards, Anquan Boldin was traded for a 3rd and 4th and received a 5th round pick, which amounted to roughly the 84th pick in the draft.

Now consider that Boldin then went on to be the fastest player EVER to reach 600 receptions. What major achievements has Smitty achieved beyond his triple crown in 2005? He hasn't even finished a season since then...

A little caveat. Smith gained more yards in 2005 than he has the past two seasons.

also, 3-4 years ago if you had Smitty in space whether it was a screen or a corner giving a cushion that meant automatic yards after the catch (and big yards at that)........he simply doesn't have that same kind of gear anymore (but he is 32 so that is understandable). That ability in space is what made him so dangerous like in 05. I think he had like 900 YAC that year....flat out absurd. DeSean Jackson will be a different player as well 8 yrs from now as well.....and he won't be as dangerous.

Edited by CRA, 23 March 2011 - 01:33 PM.

#155 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,833 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:26 PM

Possession WR's can last a long time in the NFL, the small speedy guys don't seem to hang around as long. SS has been a fine WR for a long time, but his skills are slipping every year.

2005 has been a very very long time ago in the NFL.

#156 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,736 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

Possession WR's can last a long time in the NFL, the small speedy guys don't seem to hang around as long. SS has been a fine WR for a long time, but his skills are slipping every year.

2005 has been a very very long time ago in the NFL.

Cutting back on his snaps would actually make him more effective, as well as extending his career.

#157 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,889 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:29 PM

Cutting back on his snaps would actually make him more effective, as well as extending his career.

they did that last year. The majority of the time when they ran 1 WR sets Smitty was on the bench.

I think Smitty was mentally on vacation from about week 4-5 forward.

#158 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

also, 3-4 years ago if you had Smitty in space whether it was a screen or a corner giving a cushion that meant automatic yards after the catch (and big yards at that)........he simply doesn't have that same kind of gear anymore (but he is 32 so that is understandable). That ability in space is what made him so dangerous like in 05. I think he had like 900 YAC that year....flat out absurd. DeSean Jackson will be a different player as well 8 yrs from now as well.....and he won't be as dangerous.

Pretty much. I found it interesting that in both the last two years, his longest receptions have not gone the distance. That hasn't happened since 2002 (ignoring his 1 game in 2004).

Quite difficult to imagine Smith making 66 yards, but not taking it all the way in...

#159 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

they did that last year. The majority of the time when they ran 1 WR sets Smitty was on the bench.

I think Smitty was mentally on vacation from about week 4-5 forward.

Smith played in 89% of all possible offensive snaps, far and above all other receivers. If any other receiver was on during single receiver sets, then they would naturally be involved in all other sets as well, thus have a higher percentage of snaps.

#160 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,889 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

Smith played in 89% of all possible offensive snaps, far and above all other receivers. If any other receiver was on during single receiver sets, then they would naturally be involved in all other sets as well, thus have a higher percentage of snaps.

okay, but when they went to that standard formation they used over and over w/ 1 WR....Smitty wasn't the WR. They often ran out of it so I think they were just giving him a break in duties.

Edited by CRA, 23 March 2011 - 05:13 PM.

#161 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:26 PM

Well..

1) First off, stop getting worked up over a Yas article, I haven't seen anything he writes come to be true. He doesn't seem to get anything more right than we do on the huddle.

2) Smith is NOT a top 5 WR anymore. I'm sorry. Yes his QB play was lackluster, but top-5 WR's still get productive (look at Fitz/Bolden when LEINART was throwing to them). Tony Gonzalez was the best TE every year in KC with junk at the QB position. When Smith WAS a top-5 he made Jake look really good. He no longer can do that. He's not a bad WR, and he still may be top 15 or top 10 but he's definitely not top 5. He's a Panther through and through but let's be real guys. He's lost a step and he is dropping more and more balls each year.

3) We won't get enough value from trading him to justify it. WR's seem to go for cheap now, and I don't expect someone like Smith who's almost 32, slowing down (when his game is based off speed), drops more every year, is a pain and nuisance to the team, has past behavior issues, and also has some serious injuries (the broken arm WILL come back again and bite him) to get high draft picks. Before you even get to his drop in production he's already not worth it.

#162 Darth Bobo

Darth Bobo

The Dude

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationRTP

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:28 AM

One big problem for Steve Smith has been his yardage after catch. Early on in his career, SS was a SUPER STUD at getting yardage after the catch, and it didn't matter where on the fied that he caught the ball. Though his effort and heart has not declined, he has lost ground speed, acceleration, and cannot cut as sharply either. He evades fewer tackles. The seperation he once created has narrowed, and that has resulted in better tackling, which probably takes its toll on his body as well.

Even if we fans consider that he hasn't been getting great passes, we can still look and consider what SS does with the ball AFTER it is caught. That is the most obvious place where you can isolate Steve Smith's individual skills and compare them only to himself in years prior. YAC is not the only aspect of his game that has declined, but it is one that requires a hefty dose of homerism to ignore.

Edited by Darth Bobo, 24 March 2011 - 09:33 AM.

#163 Skew

Skew

GOLD PREMIUM MEMBER

• Moderators
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:36 AM

I said it last year before the season was over and I'll say it again. Smith is gone. He will be traded.

I will be very surprised if he is on this team in December.

#164 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:21 PM

Trade Steve and take AJ Green. That's the only way I'd support the move.

#165 PantherDude

PantherDude

Best of luck, Coach Fox!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:39 AM

Smith bitched about the rookies not kissing his ass last offseason, but then goes out and drops balls and fumbles while Gettis and Lafell improve.

Did Smitty really bitch about rookies not kissing his ass or you're just lying & putting words in his mouth like you're known for doing the same for some of us here often when you disagree? Not to mention being cocky & full of it. Oh yeah, being rude and immature as well.

But then you saying Jerry Rice isn't really that good show you don't know about good football with dissing one of the best WR there ever was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.