195 replies to this topic

#166 PantherDude

PantherDude

Best of luck, Coach Fox!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:40 AM

And I hope Smitty stay. He is just frustrated & need better QB. But at least he is somewhat the reason why LaFell & Gettis play good. Hopefully the 2 don't become another Keary Colbert.

#167 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:58 AM

Did Smitty really bitch about rookies not kissing his ass or you're just lying & putting words in his mouth like you're known for doing the same for some of us here often when you disagree? Not to mention being cocky & full of it. Oh yeah, being rude and immature as well.

But then you saying Jerry Rice isn't really that good show you don't know about good football with dissing one of the best WR there ever was.

Yes, Steve, you bitched about it. We remember.

#168 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:12 AM

Well..

3) We won't get enough value from trading him to justify it. WR's seem to go for cheap now, and I don't expect someone like Smith who's almost 32, slowing down (when his game is based off speed), drops more every year, is a pain and nuisance to the team, has past behavior issues, and also has some serious injuries (the broken arm WILL come back again and bite him) to get high draft picks. Before you even get to his drop in production he's already not worth it.

And this is the real issue at hand. The question that has to be answered in the affirmative when contemplating a trade is simple: Will what we get in return increase the productivity over what we have now?

Sorry, I don't see it. I'd be surprised if Steve Smith would get anything better than a 4th rounder and for all the over-hyped accusations made about Steve Smith in the locker room, on the sidelines, at practice, etc. (I had no idea so many Huddle people had access to these places- where do I sign up?)there still is not a 4th round WR who is half as good as Smith.

#169 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:13 AM

And this is the real issue at hand. The question that has to be answered in the affirmative when contemplating a trade is simple: Will what we get in return increase the productivity over what we have now?

Sorry, I don't see it. I'd be surprised if Steve Smith would get anything better than a 4th rounder and for all the over-hyped accusations made about Steve Smith in the locker room, on the sidelines, at practice, etc. (I had no idea so many Huddle people had access to these places- where do I sign up?)there still is not a 4th round WR who is half as good as Smith.

That is because you are looking at it from the wrong perspective. The initial compensation is a 4th, but what if we pick up Green with our first? That will then allow Green, LaFell and Gettis to progress, rather than always playing the balancing act of having Smith the featured receiver.

Did Smith produce anything more than the other two last year?

So yes, you may only get a 4th or worse, but it should give players who have shown potential the chance to become a starter and become every down guys. If LaFell & Gettis are our future, one more year of Smith won't achieve anything.

Or something else to consider, what if that 4th round pick allows us to package together to move into the 2nd round?

#170 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

That is because you are looking at it from the wrong perspective. The initial compensation is a 4th, but what if we pick up Green with our first? That will then allow Green, LaFell and Gettis to progress, rather than always playing the balancing act of having Smith the featured receiver.

Did Smith produce anything more than the other two last year?

So yes, you may only get a 4th or worse, but it should give players who have shown potential the chance to become a starter and become every down guys. If LaFell & Gettis are our future, one more year of Smith won't achieve anything.

Or something else to consider, what if that 4th round pick allows us to package together to move into the 2nd round?

I didn't know perspectives could either be wrong or right. I knew they could be different from someone else's but shame on me for having a "wrong" perspective. But that's another story.

I'm taking the Steve Smith issue at face value. I'm not assuming anything, including whatever inside info some Huddle members may have with regard to his behavior in and around the football field. I won't speak to that because there are no facts to back it up. What I will speak to is his age and the fact he has lost some speed, not necessarily at the top end, but his burst and his cuts have lost their edge.

Another assumption I certainly wouldn't go on a limb for- a new CBA done before the draft which would allow a pre-trade draft. Major issue here- cannot trade anyone without a CBA and you certainly cannot trade someone for draft picks or a player/pick package without a CBA.

Yet another assumption I won't make is drafting AJ Green #1 overall, making Steve Smith expendable. If that occurs have you just equated a 32-year old, slower Steve Smith to a #1 draft pick? And if such a move is made, the Panthers have a pretty decent, young WR corps with a lot of potential and nobody who can get them the ball.

The Panthers with Steve Smith, LaFell and Gettis are already a "vertically capable" team if they get the right QB, and I don't believe that QB is on the roster today. I'm not sure that QB is in this year's draft, either. Drafting AJ Green makes this team vertically capable as well, but with less chance of getting a vertically capable QB. In other words, the Panthers can only afford to draft Green if they have a QB who can get him the ball.

And let's not forget about this- perhaps the most important intangible in the whole deal. The relationship between Smith and JR.

Posted Image

Edited by Anybodyhome, 25 March 2011 - 01:40 PM.

#171 SPANKY

SPANKY

Smitty hugger

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

Smith has done so much for this team over the year's, it would be sad if we loose him on top of the fact that the 2010 season was flushed down the toilet. Some people think he's washed up, lost a step, too old ect.ect. I suppose the fact that he had rookie a QB, and was flanked by rookie WR's had nothing to do with his rough year. What about Fox and Davidson? My 12 year old could've called better play's than Davidson. But none of those thing's has anything to do with it...sure. I don't blame Smith if he want's a chance at winning a superbowl, I sometime's wonder if the FO remember's that's the goal for an NFL football team. Our FO is too busy lowering payroll, and pushing for a lockout.

Edited by SPANKY, 25 March 2011 - 06:51 PM.

#172 riddel

riddel

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:24 AM

Anybody that watches the game, knows that Steve Smith is a top 5 WR. If you don't know that, then I can't help you, but if you don't understand that a WR needs the ball thrown to him to succeed, then there is no help for you.

This thread is hilarious.....where are all you morons saying Smith is washed up at now?

I will admit I never dreamed Newton and Smith would be on the same team....but damn I'm happy "it is what it is!"

#173 riddel

riddel

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:25 AM

2010 most yards for a WR makes those WRs the best? Wow.

We haven't had a QB in 2 years. Here's Smith's 2008 yardage when he had a Qb throwing the ball to him.

http://www.nfl.com/s...&qualified=true

By the way, I don't agree that most yards received indicates that the WR is the best only the most targeted, meaning a capable QB who can throw...Carolina doesn't have one of those.

Freakin awesome.

#174 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,613 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:26 AM

Christ. What is with all these bumps lately

#175 riddel

riddel

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:27 AM

No he isn't. Even w/ a good QB he flat out has lost a gear or two.....and that is huge given his style of play. All things being equal.....there are just younger and better WRs now in the league.

He is a 32 yr old (will be)who has been in the league for 10 yrs.......that ain't prime time.

lolz

#176 riddel

riddel

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:28 AM

Christ. What is with all these bumps lately

Well...I just want all the aholes who counted Smith out to apologize...but that will never happen...so...I'm bumping stuff...deal with it.

#177 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:31 AM

Jesus. Saw this thread and about had a heart attack!

#178 riddel

riddel

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:34 AM

So you're saying Smith is good when we have a good QB throwing to him but dismiss Wayne, White, and Welker because they have a good QB throwing to them? So that must mean Smith is no good because he is only good when he has a good QB throwing to him. Nice contradiction.

Btw, White went over 1300 yards last season. Second time in his career. And when did Calvin Johnson ever have a QB? And your excuse for Marshall is pathetic.

You've been exposed, but nice try at seeming like you know what you're talking about though.

Look at Wayne now.....lolz again.

#179 Swarly

Swarly

MichaelJordanLaughing.gif

• HUDDLER
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:36 AM

Jesus. Saw this thread and about had a heart attack!

this

if you're going to bump a thread make sure it has a title that won't invoke mass panic

#180 riddel

riddel

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:40 AM

this

if you're going to bump a thread make sure it has a title that won't invoke mass panic

The funny thing is it didn't bother people back in May......I just hate the way fans quit on players...especially a player like Smith who has given everything to Carolina and stuck with them through some CRAPPY Qbs....he basically wasted two years of his career with washed up and rookie Qbs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com