#16 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,850 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:03 PM

why in the name of god does anyone even care

is this like people pretend that baseball players in the 60s and 70s weren't hopped up on speed

#17 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

there's also no "standard level" of HGH to test against.

This is dumb as hell.

The tests that they currently have are not designed to test the levels of HGH in ones system, they are made to distinguish between natural and synthetic HGH. So unless the players are actually harvesting HGH from other humans, then the tests will work fine.

#18 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,850 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

this also won't stop players from using it.

i know it's not an ESPN or USA Today article, but

http://onlinelibrary...06.00135.x/full

Performance-enhancing drug use by elite athletes is a modern sporting and social concern. We applied a long-overdue theoretical framework, perceptual deterrence, to predicting the banned drug-use decisions of 116 elite Australian footballers and soccer players. The strongest influence on athletes' hypothetical decisions to use drugs was their personal moral beliefs and health concerns, each of which also mediated the relationship between drug testing and athletes' decisions to use banned substances. Drug testing had little influence on athletes' imagined drug use decisions, although there are athletes for whom legal sanctions are necessary. The results have important implications for the way in which authorities fund and frame future anti-drug initiatives; particularly the relationship between drug testing and athletes' personal moral beliefs.

#19 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,389 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

also i almost killed myself three days ago doing back jerks and now im scared.

doesn't sound like the coaches are doing their job there. did you not have to take technique classes?

#20 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,850 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

also lol that usa today article is 3 years old

looks like someone doesn't understand how medical companies fish for funding

#21 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,850 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

doesn't sound like the coaches are doing their job there. did you not have to take technique classes?

we do.

i went to bail and for whatever reason my hand got stuck right after my left arm died mid lift. came down on my left shoulder and took me with it. I wrenched my back pretty awful but was lucky nothing else was hurt. it was my fault.

it was only 80 kilos and i'd just done 77 without a problem.

#22 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

why in the name of god does anyone even care

is this like people pretend that baseball players in the 60s and 70s weren't hopped up on speed

Because when they do get caught, the go from

Shawne Merriman '06 (last off-season he was shooting up)

63 tkls 8 PD 17.0 sacks 4 FF 1 INT in 12 games

to...

Shawne Merriman '09 (last season he was healthy)

36 tkls 0 PD 4.0 sacks 0 FF 0 INT in 14 games

#23 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,832 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

The tests that they currently have are not designed to test the levels of HGH in ones system, they are made to distinguish between natural and synthetic HGH. So unless the players are actually harvesting HGH from other humans, then the tests will work fine.

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.

#24 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,850 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:14 PM

Because when they do get caught, the go from

Shawne Merriman '06 (last off-season he was shooting up)

63 tkls 8 PD 17.0 sacks 4 FF 1 INT in 12 games

to...

Shawne Merriman '09 (last season he was healthy)

36 tkls 0 PD 4.0 sacks 0 FF 0 INT in 14 games

shawne merriman also blew out his knee against the Titans in 2007

that year (when in your words he had stopped "shooting up") he had 12.5 sacks with 68 combined tackles.

#25 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,850 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

seriously it is mind blowingly stupid to say merriman's career ended in 2008 because he stopped doing PEDs in 2006, especially after his 2007 production and the injury that allowed him to only play one game the following year.

Merriman is stupid because he didn't immediately get treatment for the injury, but the idea that whatever he tested positive for was the reasons he was so dominant is

dumb

as

heeeeeeeelllllllllll

#26 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

also lol that usa today article is 3 years old

looks like someone doesn't understand how medical companies fish for funding

I didn't notice that, but you are right. However, this recent push by the NFL could mean that the study in the USA Today article has now moved past the vetting/testing phase and is ready for implementation.

EDIT: As of 4/13/10 Ceres Nano (the company developing the urine test) is ready to implement the first round of testing.

source

Edited by Stumpy, 24 March 2011 - 08:33 PM.

#27 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

seriously it is mind blowingly stupid to say merriman's career ended in 2008 because he stopped doing PEDs in 2006, especially after his 2007 production and the injury that allowed him to only play one game the following year.

My bad, I forgot about the knee. I was more using him as an example, there have been plenty of others throughout the sports world.

#28 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,850 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

well yeah there's david boston's hilarious body but it's impossible to say "well he wouldn't have done as well without this" in any meaningful fashion

#29 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,389 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:23 PM

we do.

i went to bail and for whatever reason my hand got stuck right after my left arm died mid lift. came down on my left shoulder. it was my fault.

it was only 80 kilos and i'd just done 77 without a problem.

ah, i'm used to being in defend mode over cf being 'dangerous' so i had to attack your technique before i even knew what happened :cool:

anyways HGH should not only be legal but encouraged. there are a lot of benefits and just about no negative effects.

people who get so worked up about performances enhancers are milquetoast humans.

#30 ihateforumnames

ihateforumnames

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:23 PM

I'd like to take the chance to rehash a post I made on this subject awhile back:

I don't know why they would go to that much trouble to prevent use of a substance that really has no scientific backing for increasing performance. The big advantage that is agreed upon is recovery and "general wellness." If anything, HGH should be an open option(with professional opinion) for athletes undergoing a recovery program. That's the most likely reason it's used to begin with.

HGH is a hormone that affects general growth. No research reports using human or animal subjects have shown it to be related to specific performance improvements. The most common hGH, somatropin, acts on bones and muscles non-differentially. It does not selectively respond to only those parts of the body that are stimulated (fatigued) by the specific training effects of swimming. At best hGH might facilitate quicker overall recovery from general fatigue. It is understood that in triathlons and swimming hGH is used in conjunction with anabolic steroids. The steroids provide specific adaptation effects and hGH possibly assists recovery. HGH affects growth rate, has very beneficial medical uses, and in sports is generally used to "grow" larger but not better-functioning athletes. There is some suspicion that in sports where size is important (e.g., basketball, football) hGH users suffer a higher rate of injuries. Long term effects of use in sports are not known.

- http://coachsci.sdsu...56/fourdrug.htm

One of the most beneficial effects of Human growth hormone HGH to players is the aid recovery ability and the quickness of recovery. Since it is a long baseball season many players need HGH growth hormones to still compete after an injury or if the age is catching up to the player.

So there is a clear difference between steroids which gets you stronger and human growth hormone HGH which heals you. MLB needs to think about what there banning and take in consideration the health of there players.

This can go out to all of the leagues in the professional sports business, especially high paid contact sports like football and hockey. HGH growth hormones can increase your recovery overall and the recovery speed.

- http://www.ispr.org/..._in_sports.html

I personally don't have a problem with players using this in rehabilitation settings fwiw :chillpill:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.