Photo
- - - - -

GM, Chrysler ask for another $21.6 billion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#31 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:20 PM

Come again? The problem now is the auto industry model can only truly reinvent itself by going bankrupt due to its "contract" with the union.
Yes, like the telephone the Unions are needed. But unlike the telephone the adapability is slothful.
The overhead and built in price for less employees paying for MORE folks who retired(and no fault of them) but the concessions that get made ever so many years leads us to this point.

The Top 10 Best-Selling Cars of 2008

Ford F-Series: 515,513
Chevy Silverado: 465,065
Toyota Camry: 436,617
Honda Accord: 372,789
Toyota Corolla: 351,007
Honda Civic: 339,289
Nissan Altima: 269,668
Chevy Impala: 265,840
Dodge Ram: 245,840
Honda CR-V: 197,279

December 2008’s Top 10 Best-Selling Cars

Ford F-Series: 41,580
Chevy Silverado: 33,340
Toyota Camry: 25,275
Honda Accord: 22,348
Toyota Corolla: 22,129
Chevy Impala: 21,148
Chevy Malibu: 17,355 :gnorsi:
Nissan Altima: 17,311
Honda Civic: 17,302
Dodge Ram: 16,618

http://blogs.cars.co...op-10-best.html

We also list the top car sales for the month of December, where the biggest move was made by the Chevy Malibu: It’s now the No. 3 midsize sedan on the market behind the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord, besting Nissan Altima sales by a whopping 44 units.

What's your point with the list you provided?

Yes Ford, GM, and Chrysler do have to pay a lot more for legacy costs but it's funny how that doesn't seem to matter when Ford buys Land Rover or Jaguar. If they were in bad financial straights the last thing you want to do is expand. Bad business decisions combined with a number of other factors are the problems. Corporate big wigs getting million dollar bonuses all the while. But yeah, unions are the problem.:rolleyes:

#32 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,967 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

Unions AND management are the problem.
The contract/concessons method as painted both sides into a corner.
Am I lying when I say the ONLY way out of the contract is thru bankruptcy?
Take a step back from that logic and see it thru. It is just dumb.
That is like saying the only way I can get a divorce is if my wife shoots me in the foot.
Any other reason is not valid, but being maimed is.

When you have LESS people making as many if not more cars that margin is going somewhere.
I highlighted the Malibu because of it being 3rd now. IT can be done.
But the auto model itself is Jurassic Park in the current dynamic.
They have to be broken up, become smaller public companies. Allow mini unions that don't exceed 25% per new comp.

#33 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:53 PM

If the Gov. gave everybody in America a $60000 refund instead of Chrysler or GM you would see an AUTOMATIC jump in sales and an INSTANT boost to the economy. Tahoe and 300C sales would quadruple!!

This could never happen because some people would die before there was a "re-distribution of wealth".

They also gave wallstreet 300bill with no conditions. Bonuses for failing executives and total faith in THEIR(human greed boxes) ability to turn the economy around :rolleyes:.

Putting War debt on our childrens children is OK but steering us out of depression is wasteful ??? Come on!

#34 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,056 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:53 PM

GM should be nationalized.

full steam ahead on the Volt and get it finished, then once it becomes sustainable sell it back at profit, much like France did with Renault

Ford is fine by itself. Launch Chrysler into the sun.

Edited by Fiz, 17 February 2009 - 11:10 PM.

#35 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,056 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:54 PM

If the Gov. gave everybody in America a $60000 refund instead of Chrysler or GM you would see an AUTOMATIC jump in sales and an INSTANT boost to the economy. Tahoe and 300C sales would quadruple!!

fantastic you encourage GM to keep making unsustainable poo buckets and the next time oil spikes they get destroyed on it.

#36 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

fantastic you encourage GM to keep making unsustainable sh*t buckets and the next time oil spikes they get destroyed on it.

OK Fiz...Cobalts and PT Cruisers. Thats the best they can do now. :D

#37 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,056 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:01 PM

OK Fiz...Cobalts and PT Cruisers. Thats the best they can do now. :D

who in the world would buy one of those

#38 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,565 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:05 PM

full steam ahead on the Volt and get it finished, then once it becomes sustainable sell it back at profit, much like France did with Renault

Ford is fine by itself. Launch Chrysler into the son.

I don't trust the Gov to tax me properly why in the world would we trust them to SELL a company back to the public.

Don't trust them FIZ!!!!

#39 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,056 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:11 PM

I don't trust the Gov to tax me properly why in the world would we trust them to SELL a company back to the public.

because it's fairly easy to do and history has shown that american investors will fall all over themselves to purchased privatized industry and capitol.

#40 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

_RUN FOZZY RUN_

• HUDDLER
  • 17,318 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:22 AM

Ford is fine by itself. Launch Chrysler into the sun.

The Volt, another GM fantasy. This is a company that spent millions developing the Escelade Hybrid rated 20MPG city and wants you to pay 75k for it.
Only one manufacturer is mass producing a Hybrid that works, Toyota (Prius).

#41 Fireball77

Fireball77

• HUDDLER
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:45 AM

When it comes to lists of top selling cars, do they ever publish them breaking out how many were sold on those "employee discount" plans like Ford offers, the Z plans, etc? I can't help but think that boosts their sales totals tremendously. I don't personally know anyone who has a Ford who didn't buy one mostly because of that huge discount they can get, sometimes even outside the spirit of the discount (in other words they aren't really family but simply are vouched for as such by an employee).

#42 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,056 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:08 AM

The Volt, another GM fantasy. This is a company that spent millions developing the Escelade Hybrid rated 20MPG city and wants you to pay 75k for it.
Only one manufacturer is mass producing a Hybrid that works, Toyota (Prius).

there have been some good rumors about the volt.

besides it's the direction cars need to be going anyway and a domestic version of the prius would be great.

#43 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,056 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:37 AM

im watching this now.

lol nuke ohio

#44 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

Unions AND management are the problem.
The contract/concessons method as painted both sides into a corner.
Am I lying when I say the ONLY way out of the contract is thru bankruptcy?

You're not lying, you're just misinformed. The union's have been giving concessions. When I was still employed by Ford the union was giving back concessions 2 years before the contract was up. That had never happened before. Mulally took over Ford and he has them heading in the right direction. So it can be done.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com