#1 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:31 AM

I've been playing for about a year now, mostly with borrowed clubs. So I am looking at getting a set of clubs pretty soon. The problem is, that I am pretty short, (5'4"ish) and I don't have the money to get a custom set. I'm a 100+ golfer, but have been told by some pretty good golfers that having ill fitted clubs could be a big reason for my struggles.

I've had some suggest looking at a set of lady's clubs. My question is, are lady's clubs lofted or weighted any different than men's clubs? If so, does anybody have any other suggestions, or would I be better off just waiting until I can afford to get a custom set?

#2 PantherFan52

PantherFan52

The Man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:51 AM

If you want to be taken seriously, don't get a set of lady clubs. The irons are made with graphite shafts which is something you don't need unless you are a senior citizen. I'd just wait.
Golf stores like Golfsmith always have a pretty good selection of used golfclubs but you might have to get them fitted which isn't very expensive.

#3 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,091 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:14 AM

It costs nothing to stroll into a Dick's and have them measure and fit you. As a matter of fact, just about any golf shop (Golf USA, Golfsmith, Edwin Watts) will take the time and measure you as well, fitting you and making the right recommendation.

I have the opposite issue at 6'6" and I have an extra 1/2" on my irons and it costs me nothing to get properly fitted. Trust me, you want the right information because, as you said yourself, you'll spend a few extra bucks on getting the clubs sized. And a good set of irons could set you back anywhere from $400-800.

#4 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 6,232 posts
  • LocationRichardson's toilet

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:48 AM

I've been playing for about a year now, mostly with borrowed clubs. So I am looking at getting a set of clubs pretty soon. The problem is, that I am pretty short, (5'4"ish) and I don't have the money to get a custom set. I'm a 100+ golfer, but have been told by some pretty good golfers that having ill fitted clubs could be a big reason for my struggles.

I've had some suggest looking at a set of lady's clubs. My question is, are lady's clubs lofted or weighted any different than men's clubs? If so, does anybody have any other suggestions, or would I be better off just waiting until I can afford to get a custom set?

I think someone's f*cking with you.

#5 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:38 AM

agreed.

Just bought new and they extended them for no extra charge other than the over sized grips. I'm sure they would be more than happy to chop yours down for you.

#6 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,962 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:42 AM

I was at Martin's in Myrtle Beach last week... saw some Callaway Diablo irons I really liked... I need to break down and get me a new set.

#7 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

just do it!

#8 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER