55 replies to this topic

#1 Swarly

Swarly

MichaelJordanLaughing.gif

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

Obviously Charles Johnson will be on one side, but what about the other side? Will it continue to be a "by committee" sort of thing with Brown/Hardy/Brayton/etc?

#2 XClown1986

XClown1986

I'm Rick Grimes, Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:52 PM

Training camp battle. Best man wins the job.

#3 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

I think he has a pretty good shot.

#4 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:56 PM

He'll probably win out in TC unless Brown is finally ready.

#5 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:04 PM

Obviously you forgot Charles Johnson is a free agent. I'm not saying he is gone but I don't think you can pencil him in just yet. I think the Panthers will want to keep him but I have no clue what he wants or what other team may be willing to pay him.

This year's free agency will be very interesting since chances are it will come after the draft and not before it. Teams often draft for need when free agency plans don't work out even though everyone says they don't want to do it. So if a team that was really wanting a DE and missed on one in the 1st round be willing to overpay for Johnson even more so than in the past? Will it have no effect at all? Will teams have a chance to resign players before the market is completely opened up?

So many questions and until the CBA is worked out we don't know. We could end up not even able to keep Kalil if the franshise tag is gotten rid of.

So does the team go into the draft with Johnson on the team or do they go into the draft without any of their RFA or FA in the concret plans for 2011?

But to answer your question, no I don't think Hardy is ready yet to be a starter and a year without OTAs and training programs is going to hurt that. He's probably an offseason away from being ready to compete for a starting position and he is probably not getting that this year. If Johnson were not to return it would be Brayton and Brown starting, or if Johnson were to return Johnson and Brayton.

#6 brandon_87

brandon_87

ooh wee mayne he dat deal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

Training camp battle. Best man wins the job.

we have seen how this always goes....

#7 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,555 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

we have seen how this always goes....

Under Fox, not Rivera.

I think he does win the job, buy needs to work on stopping the run by being more disciplined.

#8 brandon_87

brandon_87

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

Under Fox, not Rivera.

I think he does win the job, buy needs to work on stopping the run by being more disciplined.

The whole rivera situation sounds fishy.... just another pawn for Hurney.... I'm sure it will be the same

#9 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,555 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

Brayton is a FA too, is he not?

#10 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,555 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

The whole rivera situation sounds fishy.... just another pawn for Hurney.... I'm sure it will be the same

...ok...

#11 brandon_87

brandon_87

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

Brayton is a FA too, is he not?

I thought he signed a 2 year contract... I'm just not sure if it was for 09/10, or 10/11

#12 mr beauxjangles

mr beauxjangles

Large Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:42 PM

If you let Charles Johnson get away then you completely turn your back on the entire "build through the draft"/"develop young talent" approach.

#13 Mr. Burgundy

Mr. Burgundy

scotch, scotch, scotch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

im pretty sure he is a FA

#14 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:51 PM

I thought he signed a 2 year contract... I'm just not sure if it was for 09/10, or 10/11

He's signed a two year deal last year so he is good through 2011.

If you let Charles Johnson get away then you completely turn your back on the entire "build through the draft"/"develop young talent" approach.

I agree and I don't think the Panthers are not planning on trying to resign him but just like with Peppers sometimes it's not about what the Panthers want but rather the player. And there is also other teams. I like Johnson but a desperate team could come in and completely out-bid the Panthers and they have to be smart about how much money you give to a one year starter, even if you did draft and develop him.

I think he ends up back in Carolina but my point was lets don't go counting our chickens before the eggs hatch.

#15 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,491 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:58 PM

Personally, I think unless Brown comes back beefed up and has worked on his rips and spins rather than relying on his agility then Hardy's got the starting gig. Regarding Brayton, well I'm not even sure Brayton will be back with the team next year.

Hardy just played out of his freaking mind. Just watch him in this video. His drive looks like a "any means necessary" guy to get to the ball wherever it is.

Hardy was all over the place, he racked up 30 tackles, 24 solo tackles, 6 assists, 3 sacks, 4 tackles for a loss, 5 yards lost on a tackles for a loss, 2 forced fumbles, 1 blocked kick, and 1 pass defended.

Hardy and Johnson will become the new faces on the outside for the Panthers in years to come, if we can just get another DT to stuff the run or penetrate then our D-Line will be looking pretty nasty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.