#46 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,077 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:38 PM

And Rivera spoke today about this very issue, saying that it was a passing league, and you need to be able to rush the passer and cover receivers.

I am probably reading too much into that comment, but as soon as he said it, I thought, well, they aren't going to pick Dareus. PP, maybe, or someone more effective at rushing the passer like Miller, if they don't go QB.

Man, you really missed the boat on that one.

A strong DT presence on the Carolina line will do MUCH MORE to improve our pass rush than any LB or DE that we could add to this team.

Without a dominant inside force, a QB merely steops up in the pocket to escape from outside pressure. A DT who can provide push inside give the QB nowhere to go....thus increasing the number of sacks.

#47 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,077 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

I feel the exact same way about him, Nick Fairley and PP7. All great prospects an I understand how and why those guys are wanted but we have to do something to get our offense headed in the right direction. Starting at the most important position in today's NFL and one of our biggest needs should be the first priority imo.

Reaching to fill a need with a player who is not with the pick is a sure fire way of having draft failure.

#48 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,251 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:40 PM

A strong DT presence on the Carolina line will do MUCH MORE to improve our pass rush than any LB or DE that we could add to this team.

Without a dominant inside force, a QB merely steops up in the pocket to escape from outside pressure. A DT who can provide push inside give the QB nowhere to go....thus increasing the number of sacks.

Refresh my memory...what DT helped Charles Johnson out last year?

#49 ncbobcat

ncbobcat

Beer Enthusiast

• HUDDLER
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

Thus the reason our secondary got picked apart last season. Most of the Panthers' sacks were either coverage (seldomly) or blown assignments by the opposing O-line. Not many of our sacks last year resulted form collapsed pockets.

#50 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,154 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:43 PM

How many seasons have we had problems at the DT position. It's a safe pick relatively speaking.

#51 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,912 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:43 PM

Can't be a mainly a run stopper though.....gotta be a DT who can penetrate and push the pocket as a pass rusher It would be a lot sweeter if people didn't talk about Dareus' slow first step and that spin that he is "untapped" potential as a pass rusher.

#52 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,413 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

You guys do realize that Marcell Dareus is not Suh? He is basically the polar opposite of Suh. Suh is a pass rushing DT......Dareus isn't. Fairley projects to be a better force in 3rd down scenarios.

I don't see how this need isn't better addressed in the 3rd round (deep draft for DTs) and FA.

Welcome to ill informed.

#53 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 4,967 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

Nick Hayden is better than Dareus...

#54 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,251 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

lol

weakest attempt at trolling I've seen in a while

#55 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,912 posts

Welcome to ill informed.

so you are saying Dareus is known for his pass rushing ability and this is a weak class at DT?

that is news to me......

#56 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,413 posts
  • LocationNC

Now this is just stupid.

#57 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 4,967 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

Just on work ethic alone, I bet my left nut Hayden has a better career than Dareus..

#58 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,413 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:53 PM

so you are saying Dareus is known for his pass rushing ability and this is a weak class at DT?

that is news to me......

Dareus is a penetrator who's also strong and thick enough to anchor against the run. His position at Alabama limited his sack opportunities. He's not just a big body.

Also, noone is Suh.

#59 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,413 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:54 PM

Just on work ethic alone, I bet my left nut Hayden has a better career than Dareus..

Since Dareus is known for his work effort I'll take that bet.

#60 ncbobcat

ncbobcat

Beer Enthusiast

• HUDDLER
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

How many seasons have we had problems at the DT position. It's a safe pick relatively speaking.

Every since Buckner retired and Jenkins last played healthy. It's been a while now that our D-line play lacked and has consistatnly deteriorated. It wasn't so long ago that our defensive line was the most feared in the League and now it's the biggest joke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.