Photo
- - - - -

Now that Iran has enough enriched

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#61 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

Please do put me on ignore and ask me if I give a flying f*ck. This is exactly the thing I'm talking about... I guess calling people names on an internet message board gives you a hard on... so go ahead and enjoy it while I sit here and feel sorry for you.

every time you respond to me really hammers home how little you care.

#62 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

I think you have that backwards.

I was speaking to an Iraq War vet about two years ago. He said Syria had some good weapons and those weapons really hurt us in northern Iraq. He was just a grunt, so I don't know how much he really knew.

#63 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

lol meat talking to a trigger puller

which one of you jingled the car keys, and which lied on his back and giggled

#64 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

Ahhh, the ignore feature. Tis truly a wonderful thing. :)

#65 Jangler

Jangler

that funky feeling to get you through

• HUDDLER
  • 47,830 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:38 PM

There is the solution! Obama can just put Iran on ignore.

#66 Speed

Speed

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

uranium for a nuke, what should Obama do?

He will give them Iraq and make friends. Everyone will live happily ever after.

#67 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

I was speaking to an Iraq War vet about two years ago. He said Syria had some good weapons and those weapons really hurt us in northern Iraq. He was just a grunt, so I don't know how much he really knew.

Syria and Saddam's Iraq used the same types of weapons, so it would be difficult to know who was shooting what. I have no doubt some smuggling is going on though.

#68 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

Syria and Saddam's Iraq used the same types of weapons, so it would be difficult to know who was shooting what. I have no doubt some smuggling is going on though.

His exact quote was: Syria has their poo together. They really hurt us with some of their stuff.

Again, he was just a grunt, so who the hell knows if he knew what he was talking about, but he WAS over there, so he has more cred than Fiz reading the internet.

He started the conversation bitching about the media. They were covering that Israeli blowup of a couple of years ago and he was pissed that they weren't covering Iraq instead. Felt like they cared more about Israel than they did about Americans who were fighting for their country.

#69 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,131 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

Have unilateral talks requiring that they stop forthwith with incentives for them to do so, much like was done with N. Korea. Get our puppets in Iraq involved, as well as our good buddies in Saudi Arabia and Egypt involved

signed,
Neville Chamberlain

#70 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,622 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:59 AM

Iran has every right to shut down the strait being as to cross it you have to go through Territorial waters of Iran. They've threatened to shut the straight down last year, and attack American shipments. Considering that 20-40% of all oil in the world cross that strait it would be very stupid of anyone to piss off Iran anymore then they already are. Even if you were to attack Iran, the effect of just two - 3 weeks of limited oil supply for the world would be devastating. (talking about gas prices in the 20 dollar range for a gallon if you could find the gas to buy. To note the United States and Iran have been having conflicts of late and the area is already heavily bogged down with military forces, with us having 5 battle groups in the area.

To traverse the Strait, ships pass through the territorial waters of Iran and Oman under the transit passage provisions of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. Although not all countries have ratified the convention, most countries, including the U.S.,accept these customary navigation rules as codified in the Convention.

A series of naval stand-offs between Iranian speedboats and US warships in the Strait of Hormuz occurred in December 2007 and January 2008. US officials accused Iran of harassing and provoking their naval vessels; Iranian officials denied these allegations. On January 14, 2008, US naval officials appeared to contradict the Pentagon version of the Jan. 16 event, in which U.S. officials said U.S. vessels were near to firing on approaching Iranian boats. The Navy's regional commander, Vice Admiral Kevin Cosgriff, said the Iranians had "neither anti-ship missiles nor torpedoes" and that he "wouldn't characterize the posture of the US 5th Fleet as afraid of these small boats"

On June 29, 2008, the commander of Iran's Revolutionary Guard, Ali Mohammed Jafari, stated that if Iran were attacked by Israel or the United States, it would seal off the Strait of Hormuz, thereby wreaking havoc in oil markets. This statement followed other more ambiguous threats from Iran's oil minister and other government officials that a Western attack on Iran would result in oil supply turmoil.

In response, Vice Admiral Kevin Cosgriff, commander of the U.S. 5th Fleet stationed in Bahrain across the Persian Gulf from Iran, warned that such an action by Iran would be considered an act of war, and that the U.S. would not allow Iran to effectively hold hostage nearly a third of the world's oil supply.

On July 8, 2008, Ali Shirazi, a mid-level clerical aide to Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, was quoted by the student news agency ISNA as saying to Revolutionary Guards, "The Zionist regime is pressuring White House officials to attack Iran. If they commit such a stupidity, Tel Aviv and U.S. shipping in the Persian Gulf will be Iran's first targets and they will be burned."

One analyst concluded that Iran could seal off or impede traffic in the Strait for a month, and a U.S. attempt to reopen it would likely escalate the conflict

In the last week of July 2008, Operation Brimstone brought dozens of US and foreign navys’ ships together off the US East Coast for joint exercises and practice in littoral operations (such as would be used in the shallow waters off the coast of Iran).

As of August 11, 2008, more than 40 US and allied ships are reported en route to the Straits of Hormuz. One US carrier battle group from Japan will complement two more which are already in the Persian Gulf, for a total of five battle groups, not counting submarines.

Edited by carpanfan96, 21 February 2009 - 10:01 AM.

#71 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,622 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

On another note Iran already gets around 3 -8 dollars a barrel for crude oil that passes through the straight in agreement with Opec.

#72 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,622 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:12 AM

LINK

This is about Iran opening a new naval base at the mouth of the straight in anticipation of any conflicts with other countries. They can effectively use the base to blockade the mouth of the straight.

If the Strait should be closed, and the access to the world's markets for Saudi Arabia's oil terminals be hindered due to an attack, some six to nine million barrels per day will be taken off the global market, leading to an overnight oil price-hike to more than $200/bbl. Author Black has stated that with no plan for fuel shifting and retrofitting, within weeks the country would see food shortages, mass unemployment and a neighbor vs. neighbor scenario.

#73 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,622 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

experts say that if Iran was to attempt a blockade they would lose in a fight with America, but if they mined the straight and used Military forces to start a conflict in the straight it would take around 3 - 5 weeks for normal flow to resume.

#74 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:24 AM

experts say that if Iran was to attempt a blockade they would lose in a fight with America, but if they mined the straight and used Military forces to start a conflict in the straight it would take around 3 - 5 weeks for normal flow to resume.

I can buy that, although I think Minesweeping assets have already been forward deployed to the area, so that might cut the time some.

#75 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:28 AM

LINK

This is about Iran opening a new naval base at the mouth of the straight in anticipation of any conflicts with other countries. They can effectively use the base to blockade the mouth of the straight.

If the Strait should be closed, and the access to the world's markets for Saudi Arabia's oil terminals be hindered due to an attack, some six to nine million barrels per day will be taken off the global market, leading to an overnight oil price-hike to more than $200/bbl. Author Black has stated that with no plan for fuel shifting and retrofitting, within weeks the country would see food shortages, mass unemployment and a neighbor vs. neighbor scenario.

FWIW, there is a plan for Saudi Arabia There are a couple of pipelines from the major oilfields to the Red Sea terminals. They are running at about half capacity right now.

Of course, it would still be a big disruption, and prices would shoot up, but I do think things would recover in a month or so.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com