Photo
- - - - -

Cam Newton can start week 1.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#1 Awesomeness!!

Awesomeness!!

BangBang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:49 AM

People say he needs to sit and learn, but I've just realized that he would be sitting behind Jimmy Freaking Clausen assuming we don't pick up a Vet. Clausen is probably better, RIGHT NOW than Clausen, and I don't doubt he could beat him in camp. If Clausen can learn our offense, I see no reason why he shouldn't start Week 1.

#2 ncmonzta

ncmonzta

CBA=Offer U Can't Refuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:52 AM

I think it depends on how fast he gets comfortable. Rivera is ready to let him as soon as he's ready. Unless we get a vet I think its a good chance we see him starting week 1. The preseason will show us. Im ready for this season.:D

#3 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:56 AM

Ron Rivera says he will play when he shows he is ready. If that is week 1 that will be great. If we have to wait until mid season or next year then so be it.

#4 YourManInAmsterdam

YourManInAmsterdam

Might Be Drunk

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:01 AM

People say he needs to sit and learn, but I've just realized that he would be sitting behind Jimmy Freaking Clausen assuming we don't pick up a Vet. Clausen is probably better, RIGHT NOW than Clausen, and I don't doubt he could beat him in camp. If Clausen can learn our offense, I see no reason why he shouldn't start Week 1.

First, Clausen is better than Clausen on day one? Is he capable of asexual reproduction? ;)

Second, I don't foresee Newton really knowing the offense by Sept. 11. I'm not saying that to insult his intelligence or work ethic. It's just a mountain of a task in such a short amount of time especially when he comes from a spread/option background.

By all accounts, Clausen really put in the work with the playbook and in the film room, and I don't think he knew the offense well enough to truly run it when he had to. Sure, the injury plagued offensive line didn't help matters, but I think at least some of his problems last year (especially his tendency to panic and throw the ball away) were *likely* a result of not knowing exactly where his receivers would be. Obviously, I wasn't on the coaching staff last year, but it seems reasonable. Let's also remember, on the same point, that Clausen came from a pro-style offense.

#5 Catalyst

Catalyst

HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:02 AM

Did Clausen get cloned or something?

#6 YourManInAmsterdam

YourManInAmsterdam

Might Be Drunk

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:14 AM

Posted Image

#7 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

We have a terrible history of expecting too much too soon of young players, especially quarterbacks. We will ruin, ruin, ruin him if we're not careful. I don't care how good he is in college, the NFL is literally a whole new ballgame, both on and off the field. And, with someone like Newton, this is a case of be careful what you ask for. I am still a Panthers fan, but he'll have win me over (again, more than on the field) before I'm a Cam fan.

#8 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:59 AM

People talking about letting Cam sit and learn has NOOOOOOOTHING TO DO with who is starting in front of him.

2 totally separate issues.

we aren't going to a SB, so even if Clausen is the one starting, great. Let Cam soak it all up and then push Clausen/vet out next year.

#9 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

Sure he can.

(if you want to ruin him)

#10 drewbreesisgod5

drewbreesisgod5

ROOKIE

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

shotgun run left, shotgun run right; pretty easy playbook to learn. He'll start soon.