#1 Awesomeness!!

Awesomeness!!

BangBang

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,399 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:49 AM

People say he needs to sit and learn, but I've just realized that he would be sitting behind Jimmy Freaking Clausen assuming we don't pick up a Vet. Clausen is probably better, RIGHT NOW than Clausen, and I don't doubt he could beat him in camp. If Clausen can learn our offense, I see no reason why he shouldn't start Week 1.

#2 ncmonzta

ncmonzta

CBA=Offer U Can't Refuse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:52 AM

I think it depends on how fast he gets comfortable. Rivera is ready to let him as soon as he's ready. Unless we get a vet I think its a good chance we see him starting week 1. The preseason will show us. Im ready for this season.:D

#3 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,952 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:56 AM

Ron Rivera says he will play when he shows he is ready. If that is week 1 that will be great. If we have to wait until mid season or next year then so be it.

#4 YourManInAmsterdam

YourManInAmsterdam

Might Be Drunk

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam, Netherlands

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:01 AM

People say he needs to sit and learn, but I've just realized that he would be sitting behind Jimmy Freaking Clausen assuming we don't pick up a Vet. Clausen is probably better, RIGHT NOW than Clausen, and I don't doubt he could beat him in camp. If Clausen can learn our offense, I see no reason why he shouldn't start Week 1.

First, Clausen is better than Clausen on day one? Is he capable of asexual reproduction? ;)

Second, I don't foresee Newton really knowing the offense by Sept. 11. I'm not saying that to insult his intelligence or work ethic. It's just a mountain of a task in such a short amount of time especially when he comes from a spread/option background.

By all accounts, Clausen really put in the work with the playbook and in the film room, and I don't think he knew the offense well enough to truly run it when he had to. Sure, the injury plagued offensive line didn't help matters, but I think at least some of his problems last year (especially his tendency to panic and throw the ball away) were *likely* a result of not knowing exactly where his receivers would be. Obviously, I wasn't on the coaching staff last year, but it seems reasonable. Let's also remember, on the same point, that Clausen came from a pro-style offense.

#5 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:02 AM

Did Clausen get cloned or something?

#6 YourManInAmsterdam

YourManInAmsterdam

Might Be Drunk

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam, Netherlands

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:14 AM

Posted Image

#7 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,109 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

We have a terrible history of expecting too much too soon of young players, especially quarterbacks. We will ruin, ruin, ruin him if we're not careful. I don't care how good he is in college, the NFL is literally a whole new ballgame, both on and off the field. And, with someone like Newton, this is a case of be careful what you ask for. I am still a Panthers fan, but he'll have win me over (again, more than on the field) before I'm a Cam fan.

#8 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:59 AM

People talking about letting Cam sit and learn has NOOOOOOOTHING TO DO with who is starting in front of him.

2 totally separate issues.

we aren't going to a SB, so even if Clausen is the one starting, great. Let Cam soak it all up and then push Clausen/vet out next year.

#9 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,261 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

Sure he can.

(if you want to ruin him)

#10 drewbreesisgod5

drewbreesisgod5

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

shotgun run left, shotgun run right; pretty easy playbook to learn. He'll start soon.

#11 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:13 AM

Sure he can.

(if you want to ruin him)

Yeah Big Ben, Flacco, Sanchez, Ryan, Manning, etc were all ruined. You start him when he's ready. It's as simple as that. I personally think he could start week 1 if he puts in the time. But probably what will happen is Moore and Clausen will go at it in TC whoever wins gets the starting nod then by mid-season or so if they are struggling Cam will get some playing time.

#12 AnalyzeThIs#28

AnalyzeThIs#28

Beware of Smash&Dash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:14 AM

Cam has a lot, and I mean a lot of freaking learning to do, so he better get to work like he said he would. He came from one of the most simplistic offensive systems in college. They used numbers to call plays, like 15,57. He needs to first learn all the crazy ass terminology and continue to work on this accuracy which is way off.

I'm pulling for the kid but I don't think he can do all this stuff in the next 4 months... we'll see.

#13 Millions

Millions

#ThankYouBasedCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, N.C.

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

Whenever the coaches feel like he's ready.

#14 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

Normally I wouldn't go along with starting a rook QB but in this situation I think it will be ok. New coach, new playbook, new era, let him start growing now.

#15 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

Yeah Big Ben, Flacco, Sanchez, Ryan, Manning, etc were all ruined. You start him when he's ready. It's as simple as that. I personally think he could start week 1 if he puts in the time. But probably what will happen is Moore and Clausen will go at it in TC whoever wins gets the starting nod then by mid-season or so if they are struggling Cam will get some playing time.

starting half way the the season isn't week 1. and naming the exceptions is hardly the rule.

it cannot be argued that giving him a year to adapt and soak up everything is a better road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com