1. Newton, IMO was worth a gamble. This guy could put the Panthers in contention for years to come. Well worth it. I appalled the front office on doing their homework. I believe Newton will in fact will become the face of the Franchise
2. McClain and Fua may not have been the best DT's available (of course up for debate) But I think they fill the need that Rivera wants from our DT's bodies to get a push and give Hardy, Johnson and Edwards the opportunity to make plays.
3. Hogan, I think had a long talk with Coach Rivera and felt that the trouble was behind him. A solid DB that likes to hit. Probably would have gone higher because of those issues fell to us in the 4th round. This guy from what I have read could be a starting CB in this league. We started the draft off with a gamble (I like those odds on Newton) Why not say WTF and go for it again. The leash is short. There will be no Pacman Jones problems here. He Screws up, he is gone.
4. Pilares..Sounds like a player in the mold of Rickey Phroel. Solid, Strong, great hands and able to get open. We have the speed in Gettis and Smitty, We have the Moose mold in LaFell. Sure there was better talent available but we need a guy like Phroel not another Smitty or Gettis. This guy has a chance to play at the same time the others are on the field. So what is a better value ANOTHER Gettis or someone who can play beside him?
5. L. Wilson... Fast, nasty Linebacker. James Anderson kind of player. Latter round pick but can play. Our LB corps has always been one of our better position. If we have players that can move like Beason and TD.. We don't get hurt so bad if one goes down. IMO a great late round pick. Someone who will excell on special teams and be able to step in if someone goes down.
6. Williams and Ziemba Williams plays with a nasty streak and Ziemba was from what I have read as high as a 3rd rounder. Our F.O. continually find Linemen that can contribute to this team afer being around our staff. I wish they had kept Magazu but hopefully our O-Line coach will be able to get the same type of output as Mag's did.
I look at it this way. There may have been better players available but were they good enough for the roll we needed them for? As I watched and read the Bios for these guys I saw each of them playing a roll for us in 2011 except believe it or not. NEWTON
I view what we did as the Bulls did with M. J. We don't need superstars at every position but we do need solid role players that know their role.
This is why I grade us a B or B+ because we filled most of our needs with good players that will fill the role we need them to.
Edited by DaveThePanther2008, 02 May 2011 - 07:55 AM.