Photo
- - - - -

Here come designer babies!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:58 PM

http://singularityhu...here-they-come/

Which as much controversy that abortion causes, I can't even fathom what people will be thinking once truly customizable babies are available. Imagine the case of someone aborting their baby because they wanted a blonde instead of a brunette daughter(which could happen right now).

There's very helpful things that come from this technology, like preventing genetic diseases. But where do you draw the line?

#2 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:55 PM

Gender selection is a big business. Dr. Steinberg, Director at The Fertility Institutes, claims that they are performing on the order of 10 gender selection fertilizations every week, each for a fee of $18,400. Although In Vitro Fertilizations were originally designed to help parents that were unable to conceive children naturally, Steinberg says that a staggering 70% of their clients have absolutely no difficulty conceiving children, coming to the Institute purely for opportunity to choose the sex of their baby.

Only one word:

horrific

#3 LiQuiD

LiQuiD

Plumb Crazy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

As long as they aren't implanting half a dozen embryos I don't have an issue with it. However, my offspring will not be genetically altered in any way, not only due to lack of funds, but lack of interest in knowing beforehand and welcoming the joy of surprise.

#4 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:31 PM

As long as they aren't implanting half a dozen embryos I don't have an issue with it. However, my offspring will not be genetically altered in any way, not only due to lack of funds, but lack of interest in knowing beforehand and welcoming the joy of surprise.

What if that meant your child would be at an immediate disadvantage in life because everyone else is engineering their children. Not just hair color or sex, but intelligence, strength/height/athleticism, memory, disease immunity, etc. You'd purposely make your child inferior(financial aspects aside)?

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com