3 questions for the huddle.
Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:31 AM
1. Would you be willing to trade steve smith if it meant we could bring in a great veteran QB? IE Mcnabb or Kolb
2. Would you be willing to let D-will walk if it meant we could bring in a top CB FA prospect? IE Nnamdi Asomugha
3. Would you be willing to let CJ walk if it meant we could bring in a top DT prospect? IE Brandon Mebane or Barry Cofield
Basically could you stand watching one of the big three go if it meant we could address other areas of concern. Lets be honest, RB and DE are pretty solid positions for us. WR...... well, they are coming around. But DT, CB and possibly a veteran QB all seem to be very pressing needs.
What could you stomach?
Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:35 AM
Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:39 AM
2 maybe- depends on the corner if is Aso then yes, anyone else and I would be hesitant
bascially I wouldn't do it unless I knew the player we were getting was better at his respective position
Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:40 AM
Yes, I love Deangelo, but I think a top tier CB, like Jonathan Joseph, is probably more valuable to the franchise than a top tier runningback. It's just a better long term investment.
No, I don't think there is a veteran DT available in this FA pool in Johnson's class. Because of the positional importance, the DT would have to be significantly more talented for me to take him over the end.
Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:40 AM
yes, but only for a player of aso's level but that is kind of a silly questions their stocks are different.
no CJ>>>>>Coefield, and CJ represents the 'core' to me as much as anyone. We drafted him, watched him progress and now for what? JR needs to follow through, drafting CJ represents exactly the kind of team JR so proudly talks about building, through the draft so it would look foolish of JR to trade or have him leave for whatever reason. JR could have been willing to spend money in 2010 and win more so we wouldn't have to worry about the core leaving because 'they want to win'.
Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:42 AM
Maybe - depends on the player. Nnamdi, yes. Braylon Edwards, no.
No - that would weaken the line, and Carolina is likely going to aggressively pursue a DT like Cofield anyway.
Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:49 AM
Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:11 AM
As for the VetQB, we don't need a great vet. We need a mentor in the film room and on the side line pointing out pickups and tells to the rookies. JakeD would be fine in this role. The inclusion of 4 years in FA will make it harder for a vet QB to get a backup job, so I hope the market is weak for Donavan or Jake and we could get either for a few mil on a one year contract.
2) DWill's situation is totally different. He's a fantastic weapon for Cam to utilize and makes our base 21 offense even trickier for defenses to key off on. Darren Sproles was franchise tagged last year by the Chargers and was paid 7.9 M, so lets say that number would be about what it would take to resign DWill. Nnamdi's last contract was north of 15M per year and I don't expect him to take a pay cut in this years FA. Even letting go of Dwill wouldn't give you much more cap to play with since you'r going to need to sign his replacement anyway and that would cost you 5M or so. Besides we have more needs than even an elite CB can solve and you want the money you'd tie up in a big CB deal to get two skill players in positions of need.
3)CJ is a phenomenal player at a position of need for this team. He's 24 and fits what this team is doing to a "T". Ron would never let Marty live it down if he let CJ go (somebody Photoshop me a photo of RR blasting our Marty's ear hole, plz). CJ is looking to get paid this year and it's gonna take 15M at least to get him in and we got the room to do it. Lock this man up for a big 5 year contract and keep him a Panther for life.
Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:39 AM
2) DWill's situation is totally different. Even letting go of Dwill wouldn't give you much more cap to play with since you'r going to need to sign his replacement anyway and that would cost you 5M or so.
You don't think Stewart, Goodson, and Sutton could handle it?