Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doomsday Preppers

115 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Tonight at 9. I'll be watching.

Posted · Report post

Kind of an interesting show. Not sure that I would shoot my house to test it's safety but that's just me. Some doomsday preppers are a little nuts. I'm not buying into the whole zombie apocolypse. The 2 biggest things I can imagine that would affect survival are the collapse of the US economy or some kind of super bug that spreads around the world much like the plague did throughout Europe.

I see nothing wrong with being over prepared for natural disaster. Look at what happened following haiti, katrina, the tsunami, japanese earthquake. People were begging for help. Unless you're prepared, there won't be any.

Another interesting show on the same subject was Decoded. They did a feature on the mayan calender ending. I found that more interesting overall.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CCS']Could someone answer me why Gold is going to be worth so much money in an economic downfall? It's just a fuging rock so I don't see how it could posses any value.[/QUOTE]

It won't be.

Real Currency would be Ammunition, First Aid supplies, ETC.

Things that are of practical use.

Posted · Report post

Did anyone else see the show where they did an experiment and put 9 or 10 people in a survival situation with minimal supplies and tried to make it semi-real. It was actually pretty interesting to watch how useless some people are when it really matters. I think it was called "the colony."

Posted · Report post

I watched one episode of 'Preppers' this weekend... some of the people are a bit wacko, and some of them are just normal people doing things that make a lot of sense.

Posted · Report post

some more contrarian things i think will help you is buying time. one of my plans is if something happens, my fam migrates somewhere and holes up for 3-6 months. just simply lay low, conserve food, ammo, medical supplies etc and buy time and see what is going on. where are the hot spots, where is the violence, where is the govt/military etc.

one fear is just the human aspect of being sold out for supplies etc to whoever is "in charge" ie the govt.

you have to also plan ahead with stuff you are going to barter with. go ahead and plan that junk out so its your survival capital. don't wait till you are so far down with something that your leverage is bad.

other little tips. a nice tool to cut locks or fences. don't think there are some things that are at some storage sheds that will help you out? i will use them like a 7/11. travel light and when i need something go to one.

l just hope if you plan that you also plan for as much total paradigm shifts as possible and don't think like the masses.

Posted · Report post

FYI, an update on one of the guys from last weeks episode. David Sarti, the extremely obese country guy from Tennessee, has had a major development in the past few days. Looks like he accidently joked about suicide with his doctor who reported him to the local police who took him to the hospital against his will for a few days. After releasing him, they got some kind of court order allowing them to take all his guns from his property. Videos are all over youtube about and the prepper community, along with every liberterian who has heard about it, is having a meltdown.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CarolinaPwns']Did anyone else see the show where they did an experiment and put 9 or 10 people in a survival situation with minimal supplies and tried to make it semi-real. It was actually pretty interesting to watch how useless some people are when it really matters. I think it was called "the colony."[/QUOTE]

Yes it was called The Colony, and there have been 2 seasons so far...

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Murph']FYI, an update on one of the guys from last weeks episode. David Sarti, the extremely obese country guy from Tennessee, has had a major development in the past few days. Looks like he accidently joked about suicide with his doctor who reported him to the local police who took him to the hospital against his will for a few days. After releasing him, they got some kind of court order allowing them to take all his guns from his property. Videos are all over youtube about and the prepper community, along with every liberterian who has heard about it, is having a meltdown.[/QUOTE]

He wasn't going to last very long anyways, FWIW... too many health issues, and I think fear of those is what was ultimately driving his survivalism...

I'm no psychologist or anything, and it is hard to knock my fellow preppers... but some people carry it way too far to the extreme, and live under irrational fear...

Just like anything, I guess, it is never good when you take it to the extreme...

Posted · Report post

fyi, Discovery is debuting their show Doomsday Bunkers a week from tonight

[url]http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/doomsday-bunkers/listings/[/url]

Posted · Report post

Doomsday galore. There's nothing wrong with being prepared...but anyone that goes to the lengths of underground bunkers and such are only ensuring their own tomb (metaphorically and potentially literally). I wouldnt pay much attention to all the fear tactics.

Posted · Report post

I would rather focus on living the life I have now than live in a devastated world. If "doomsday" actually ever happened in my lifetime, something like the complete collapse of society or the equivalent of biblical plagues, I'd be pretty liable to put my .22 to my head anyways. I don't want to live in your typical post-apocalyptic world dominated by roving tribes of savages. I know that eventually I would become one.

Plus I can't live without all the benefits of electricity.