Photo
- - - - -

Does Congress have the power to mandate obese people join Weight Watchers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#61 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

I think junk food should be something you have to buy with cash regardless of your health. The few people I know with food stamps just use it as an extra perk. They still have everything that a normal person has, they just get a $600 bonus every month. Maybe they did need it 3 years ago and they never got taken off of it. And on top of it all, they barely get any taxes taken out of their check. Lets just reward people for being stupid and having kids when they cant afford it, good poo

#62 Catalyst

Catalyst

HUDDLER

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

Then they will just sell their food stamps in the parking lot for cash and then go and buy the junk food.

I think that foodstamps should be marked for use by only a certain individual and that individual should provide photo id when using food stamps. Who is with me there?

You do realize they use debit cards for food stamps now, right? It's still possible to 'sell' them I suppose, but it'd require letting someone use the card and giving them the pin number, which - I would imagine - is not something a whole lot of people would want to do.

That wouldn't solve the problem at all. They could still go to the store with someone else and buy the poo for them. This isn't the type of fraud I'm worried about anyway. It's not really that big of a problem - certainly not when compared with other issues surrounding wellfare.

Edited by Second City Panther, 07 July 2011 - 10:44 AM.

#63 Catalyst

Catalyst

HUDDLER

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

I think junk food should be something you have to buy with cash regardless of your health. The few people I know with food stamps just use it as an extra perk. They still have everything that a normal person has, they just get a $600 bonus every month. Maybe they did need it 3 years ago and they never got taken off of it. And on top of it all, they barely get any taxes taken out of their check. Lets just reward people for being stupid and having kids when they cant afford it, good poo

If they're still getting them when they legitimately don't need them, that's fraud because they'd have to be lying in order to still be getting them. It's not something you can just sign up for and go years without re-applying. They make you re-apply every 4-6 months.

#64 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

HUDDLER

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:50 AM

Is it really that hard to tell a fat person apart?

I guess an alternative would be to have a government agent in every doctor's office.

#65 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:18 PM

Googoogaga is right about BMI.

And Captain X is right about the government not mandating healthy lifestyles. It's none of their beeswax. They don't have the judgment to know what a healthy lifestyle is, as evident by their freak-out over marijuana.

A lot of people call being gay an unhealthy lifestyle. If they start passing bills to regulate weight in the name of health, the next Santorum we elect you better believe is gonna try to pass stuff about his own personal views of a healthy lifestyle.

Government just needs to keep out of people's bidness.

Edited by rodeo, 07 July 2011 - 01:21 PM.

#66 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

HUDDLER

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

Googoogaga is right about BMI.

And Captain X is right about the government not mandating healthy lifestyles. It's none of their beeswax. They don't have the judgment to know what a healthy lifestyle is, as evident by their freak-out over marijuana.

A lot of people call being gay an unhealthy lifestyle. If they start passing bills to regulate weight in the name of health, the next Santorum we elect you better believe is gonna try to pass stuff about his own personal views of a healthy lifestyle.

Government just needs to keep out of people's bidness.

Couldn't agree more. But guvment has taken this expansive view of the commerce clause that gives them some standing to make BS laws about weight and/or sexuality.

For example, consider weddings. It isn't a stretch to say that weddings are interstate commerce. After all, the bride probably buys a dress made from another state (ditto to the groom(s)), the cake is probably made of ingredients bought from another state, the photographer's camera probably came from another state, visitors and guests of the wedding from another state,,,,,, etc.

According to the current interpretations of interstate commerce, those are all examples of interstate commerce. Being that is the case, I guess the Feds can regulate marriage too. So no marriages for homosexuals.

#67 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

The government shouldn't be able to tell you what to eat and how much to weight, but the government also shouldn't have to pay for you to be on welfare when youre too fat to wipe your own ass.