Photo
- - - - -

Will Charlotte ever host a Super Bowl?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 Woodcookedbbq

Woodcookedbbq

Vinegar Based

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:43 AM

Seems like Tampa, New Orleans, Miami, and San Diego host them all the time. Will Charlotte ever have its chance?

#2 Jangler

Jangler

that funky feeling to get you through

• HUDDLER
  • 47,841 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:00 AM

Probably not, too cold in Febuary. Ya know for the mostly wine and cheezers that go to the Superbowl.

#3 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,566 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:01 AM

Not unless global warming takes effect or we get a dome.

Next question.

#4 Go To Girl

Go To Girl

Huddle Mom

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:36 AM

No. And wine and cheesers don't go to Superbowls. Corporate types or die hards do. No in between.

#5 Cyclonus

Cyclonus

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:35 AM

I agree with everyone else. I don't ever see a Super Bowl coming here. They want warm weather locations or domes.

#6 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,177 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:36 AM

Nope-Never.

Besides the fact that we play outdoors and the NFL would never put its biggest game in a place where there could be freezing rain at kickoff. Charlotte is perceived as being not "big" enough to host.

#7 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

Supposedly, it's too cold in Feb, and also there isn't enough high-class hotels to host all the people, from what I heard.

#8 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,566 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:06 AM

Nope-Never.

Besides the fact that we play outdoors and the NFL would never put its biggest game in a place where there could be freezing rain at kickoff. Charlotte is perceived as being not "big" enough to host.

There's no perception to it. Charlotte does not have enough hotels to qualify. Jacksonville solved the problem by bringing in cruise ships (and seeing what a bust the Super Bowl was there will work against a smaller, untested city ever seeing another bowl).

Couple that with the fact that the average temp in Feb is well below the mandatory minimum, and we have 0 chance it happens.

#9 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:06 AM

Even if the weather wasn't a deterrent, Jacksonville took care of mid-level cities ever hosting a Super Bowl in the near future. New Orleans only does because it's a party city.

#10 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,177 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:36 AM

There's no perception to it. Charlotte does not have enough hotels to qualify. Jacksonville solved the problem by bringing in cruise ships (and seeing what a bust the Super Bowl was there will work against a smaller, untested city ever seeing another bowl).

Couple that with the fact that the average temp in Feb is well below the mandatory minimum, and we have 0 chance it happens.

I say perceived because Charlotte does host NASCAR events at LMS and last I checked it can host well over twice what BoA can.

I tend to think that's just a lame excuse that the NFL uses for us because Charlotte isn't really a cold weather town but clearly isn't a warm weather location either.

#11 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:02 AM

Atlanta a few times as well in the Dome :D

#12 Boltergeist

Boltergeist

Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef!?

• HUDDLER
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:16 AM

NO, Miami, and Tampa are pretty much on a near rotation. San Diego's been kicked out until they get a new stadium. IIRC, Glendale (PHX) is now in there, and I'm not sure if Houston is or not.

#13 lethalshine

lethalshine

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:21 AM

90% of the NASCAR fans camp. I don't see the SuperBowl types camping.

#14 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,566 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:27 AM

I say perceived because Charlotte does host NASCAR events at LMS and last I checked it can host well over twice what BoA can.

I tend to think that's just a lame excuse that the NFL uses for us because Charlotte isn't really a cold weather town but clearly isn't a warm weather location either.

Nascar and the Super Bowl are two totally different animals.

I would say a good percentage of those attending a race would have little to no problems what-so-ever sleeping in a Motel 6 while people traveling cross country to shell out $1000's on tickets might be a little miffed if their concierge was behind bulletproof glass.

Also, there is a prescribed average temp for outdoor venues (50 degrees) that Charlotte also doesn't meet. The NFL needs no excuse.

#15 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

__YOU CAN'T FIRE ME!__

• HUDDLER
  • 17,962 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

Since Charlotte was battling with other cities for the team, the league didn't have to black mail them for a new stadium with the promise of future Super Bowl (s).

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com