#46 Fenrir

Fenrir

Panther/Vol Fanatic!!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

Didn't want him. I preferred Green, Dareus, or Peterson. However, he's now a Panther, so fug all those other guys. I'm in his corner 110%.

#47 GritsRgreat

GritsRgreat

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,101 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

If? There's is at least 2-3 CB's worth taking #1.

Sorry, didn't know. I usually start keeping up on future draft picks during college football season.

#48 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,073 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

I generally hate the idea of the "smash mouth running game offense, get a veteran game manager QB" concept. I think it's a rinky dink structure for offense at this point. Offenses are becoming high-powered and the best built ones are built around talented QBs. QB was the weakest position for us for a while. I felt like we gave Delhomme way too much slack and didn't evaluate that position as critically as we should have. It was the leading problem to our downfall.

So I'd been waiting for us to go and make the decision to draft a top QB in a draft. Before the draft class had officially been set and everybody made their decision, I thought Luck was the best prospect. Then when he decided to stay in Stanford, I looked at who was left. Started comparing Newton and Gabbert, for a while I thought Gabbert may be just as good and was happy with taking either but as the draft came closer the picture became clearer and clearer.

#49 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

No I wanted us to draft Dareus and give Matt Moore another chance as the starter.

Didn't pan out the way I wanted but I can deal with it, move on, and support Cam Newton. And it looks like Irvin and McClain might just make up for Dareus.

#50 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,141 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

no I didnt want him drafted #1 overall but he is part of the team now so he gets my support.

#51 ncbobcat

ncbobcat

Beer Enthusiast

• HUDDLER
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

No I wanted us to draft Dareus and give Matt Moore another chance as the starter.

Didn't pan out the way I wanted but I can deal with it, move on, and support Cam Newton. And it looks like Irvin and McClain combined can't hold Dareus' jockstrap.

Fixed. Sorry, that makes a little more sense. :)

#52 NCstoner420

NCstoner420

Dave's not here man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

Nope, all my friends said the Panthers are taking Cam Newton, and I denied it right down to the second it was announced by Goodell. Wanted Dareus or Peterson, but I'm a Defense guy.

Much more comfortable with the pick now than I was then, based on the things I've seen Cam do and say. He's the franchise now, like him or not, gotta support him.

My thoughts exactly.

#53 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

I was absolutely against anything to do with Cam Newton.

We drafted him and at first it was "he is our guy, he has my support".

But now I really like the guy now and I am glad we drafted him over any player available in 2011.

I also think he will be a lot more entertaining, charasmatic, fun to watch play, and generally more interesting than Andrew Luck.

I see great things to come from him.

#54 Edward Teach

Edward Teach

#PanthersMafia

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

I wanted AJ Green and then Patrick Peterson, but I am glad that we drafted him and I am very excited about the future!!

#55 goodsense83

goodsense83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

I think that a lot of our fans didn't understand what it meant to draft Cam Newton. Being last in passing offense was our biggest hole. The previous year, we had 2 running backs run for over 1000 yds. Steve Smith was seriously contemplating leaving... D-Will became a free agent, and I can imagine a number of players wanting to jump the sinking ship.

You can check back on some of my past posts and you'll see that I predicted that we would draft Cam Newton and I also predicted that signing Cam would cause D-will and Steve Smith to stay. Not only has drafting Cam energized the fan base, but Cam has helped bring in some serious weapons for our offense.

Sure Marcel Dareus is probably going to be a solid player, but he's not gonna have the same impact that Cam will have. I'm ELATED that Ron Rivera, JR and Marty Hurney, didn't drink the Kool-aid about Cams work ethic, character issues, and all the stupid comparisons to J. Russell.

I liked Andrew Luck, but felt like if he didn't come out, Cam Newton would be just as good of a pick. And it makes it even more of a steal that the CBA won't handicap a franchise by having us spending big bucks.

Some think that there was no need to draft a qb with the 1st pick... But Cam has proven to be more than just a qb. This dude, whether we want to believe it or not, is our Lebron James.

#56 GritsRgreat

GritsRgreat

Banned

• Banned
  • 9,101 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

I think that a lot of our fans didn't understand what it meant to draft Cam Newton. Being last in passing offense was our biggest hole. The previous year, we had 2 running backs run for over 1000 yds. Steve Smith was seriously contemplating leaving... D-Will became a free agent, and I can imagine a number of players wanting to jump the sinking ship.

You can check back on some of my past posts and you'll see that I predicted that we would draft Cam Newton and I also predicted that signing Cam would cause D-will and Steve Smith to stay. Not only has drafting Cam energized the fan base, but Cam has helped bring in some serious weapons for our offense.

Sure Marcel Dareus is probably going to be a solid player, but he's not gonna have the same impact that Cam will have. I'm ELATED that Ron Rivera, JR and Marty Hurney, didn't drink the Kool-aid about Cams work ethic, character issues, and all the stupid comparisons to J. Russell.

I liked Andrew Luck, but felt like if he didn't come out, Cam Newton would be just as good of a pick. And it makes it even more of a steal that the CBA won't handicap a franchise by having us spending big bucks.

Some think that there was no need to draft a qb with the 1st pick... But Cam has proven to be more than just a qb. This dude, whether we want to believe it or not, is our Lebron James.

God i hope not!!

So the panthers were dead last in passing and they draft a QB known more for his running ability??

#57 Verge

Verge

Huddle Troll Legend

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

I wanted Gabbert, and I still think he will be the better qb. Regardless of how good Cam actually is (and he looks really good).

#58 Stone

Stone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:42 PM

i did not. jury still out if i was stupid.

#59 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

I've been lobbying for cam since Luck took his name out of the hat. I even predicted we would draft him before the combine(see earlier posts). Its funny how perception of Cam has changed from then til now. When i brought it up then everyone wrote it off as stupid and would never happen. not worthy...now everyone loves cam.

#60 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,784 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

i wanted darius

thankfully i am not employed by the front office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.