The reality of Clausen's good night

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#16 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,654 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

Fwiw, I think they did have the leash on Newton, or he had it on himself. He might be more willing to run as his career progresses, but for now he wants to become a passer, and I think thats a good thing.

from the Giants DC's comments and Newton's comments.....it sounded like Newtonk new what was going on and had good grasp of the situation....

Giants thought pressure would make him run. Giants were willing to expose themselves to try to make him scramble......They were trying to set him up basically. The D was preppered for him to scrable out. I think the 2nd Q where he threw for over 100 + yards showed that Cam understood why he should run based on what the D was doing.

#17 blackcatgrowl

blackcatgrowl

Trolls live here

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

Come on now... really?

David Carr ring any bells?

I'm not making this up. Jimmy Clausen's performance last year was the worst QBing we've ever had. Carr was better than Jimmy.

David Carr, 2007 Panthers
Games - 6
Games Started - 4
Completions - 73
Attempts - 136
Comp. % - 53.7
Yards - 635
TD - 3
INT - 5
Rating - 58.3

Fumbles - 1

Jimmy Clausen, 2010 Panthers
Games - 13
Games Started - 10
Completions - 157
Attempts - 299
Comp. % - 52.5
Yards - 1558
TD - 3
INT - 9
Rating - 58.4

Fumbles - 9

Jimmy's rating is .1 better... but the guy had the same number of TDs, and 4 more interceptions, a lower completion percentage, and EIGHT more fumbles. The worst play we've had in a QB ever, and I'm sticking to it.

#18 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:33 PM

Agreed. I don't wanna bash Jimmy because I think camp and the preseason is a time to be supportive of all our players and I sincerely hope he can still be a solid backup, but I didn't see anything to convince me he has the skills to be an NFL starter.

#19 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,654 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

lol I've never seen CRA have a good thing to say about Clausen... no surprise here...

I defended Jimmy when people bashed him as arrogant, overconfident, and kind of a dick. I think he is good kid and I think the guys in the lockerroom like him.....and that means something in this league. I think he is a hard worker, smart, and has potential to be a good QB in the right system.

he is going to be playing in his 2nd consective system that he simply doesn't fit in at this level.....and that happens to be for a team I support. He doesn't fit and is limited physically to start with......the results aren't going to be good. They haven't to date.....so few good things at this point will be said unless proven otherwise.

In my ideal world, Jimmy would start this season and Cam would sit. I don't think that is realitic though at all.....I am not pulling for his failure.....I just believe he has little chance of doing anything in offenses that play against what he does well and to what he doesn't do well (and there is no way around that overall).

Edited by CRA, 15 August 2011 - 03:41 PM.

#20 Third Degree

Third Degree

All we do is win

• HUDDLER
  • 4,705 posts
  • Location704

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

Fact is, there are at most five or six people on here who look at Clausen and Newton objectively. And as you're reading this, realize that you're probably not one of them.

#21 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

Someone should do a write up called "The Reality of Newton's good night" and see how that is received....

#22 Smithers

Smithers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:41 PM

Drive 1 - result was a pick 6 on a horrific throw.

Drive 2 - 3 and out. Ending w/ a Clausen sack and Clausen's trademarked horrible play in a NFL pocket.

Drive 4 - another 3 and out.

Drive 5. another 3 and out. - trademarked Clausen pocket play hurting the drive

The highlight of his night

Drive 3 - 2 big plays by Williams. A run and a screen (extension of the ground game). Clausen makes a downfield throw to the endzone....but put the ball behind Olsen who adjusted for a TD grab.

Now this thread isn't purely meant to knock Clausen. Just pointing out the reality he clearly didn't play better than Cam Newton like so many are pimping around a variety of threads. Clausen really didn't do much and was a mixed bag of both good and bad during each of those drives.

this thread isn't a Cam outplayed Clausen thread either as that statement is not being made.

Well said. A lot of people think he played well...

He played better than last season...but not good enough to be considered playing "well" or "good." The TD throw was terrible...Olsen made a great play. Had that been a WR or most TE's...it would have been picked off due to a lack of talent or desire to adjust to the ball.

#23 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,654 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

Fact is, there are at most five or six people on here who look at Clausen and Newton objectively. And as you're reading this, realize that you're probably not one of them.

I assume those are the few who agree with you.....:rolleyes:

#24 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

No one looks at them objectively. The whole premise of evaluation is based on subjective principles.

#25 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

Someone should do a write up called "The Reality of Newton's good night" and see how that is received....

Didn't you pretty much already do that?

#26 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,594 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

Suprised, you haven't started it yet (or for that matter made a thread about your beloved quarterback's today).

#27 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

;)

Where are all the people in this thread calling CRA a non panther fan and a hater?

#28 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

Where are all the people claiming it was the defenses fault for having such good coverage ?

#29 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

;)

Where are all the people in this thread calling CRA a non panther fan and a hater?

Stop it Gman. You caused all this bullpoo that I'm sure you've been eating up and you know exactly how you did it. The content of your posts almost didn't even matter.

Not to say in your previous two posts you didn't have a good point though... you did.

#30 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,654 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

Cam and Jimmy are polar opposite in just about every aspect. What Jimmy does bad...Cam does well. What Jimmy does well Cam does bad.

Both were a mixed bag of good and bad play on just about every single drive.

Cam seems to fit a vertical offense more than Clausen is really all that showed in game 1......primarly b/c of his strength in the pocket with pressure and arm strength. That doesn't mean Cam is good yet though in the offense.

Fit is something not talked about enough IMO when it comes to the NFL. Your unique skill set fitting or not fitting is huge in this league.

Edited by CRA, 15 August 2011 - 03:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com