Perspective from Miami game
Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:01 AM
Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:06 AM
Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:24 AM
QB is a huge question mark!
Well...the article is very infomative and well written. And certainly not a "homer" piece. But MAN! I was hoping we'd be better than this. 16% 3rd down efficiency??? 1 pressure for a defense that blitzes a good deal???
I thought we could win 7. We look like a 4 win team, with or without Newton.
Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:48 AM
Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:31 AM
Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:02 PM
While I like to read your blogs I thought I would play devils advocate to this article for the fun of it and to also point out some things, that in my mind, you are over looking.
1) The superior athlete: How can any of us know this yet? We watched him in college and he looked OK but as we saw this past week his superior athletic ability still netted no first downs using his legs...he was also tackled pretty easily by much smaller corner backs on his runs. Superior athlete? Maybe, but it's way to early to tell that IMO.
Just to throw stats and video like you did...here ya go
Jimmy - 4.76
Cam - 4.59
Not that much of a difference
Jimmy can must certainly keep drives alive same as Newton. Also, Jimmy doesn't have the "zip" that Cam does, but to say he has none at all is a little...
2. “The Roethlisberger Factor”: See video above.
3. Velocity: As stated above Cam has move velocity but I think I would rather have a lower velocity and not dig worm holes. Velocity means nothing at all when you can't hit the broad side of a barn 3/5 passes.
4. Confidence: I don't know about this one but I do think that with everything going on around Jimmy with the fans, media, players etc...he has handled it like a pro...to me that screams confidence and he welcomes the challenge
5. No need to delay the inevitable: While this may be true from 2008 - 2010; if you dig a little deeper you will find that there are SEVERAL number 1 picks that yet to become anything in the league and spent most, not all, of their time backing someone up until eventually exiting the league.
Again, nice write up, look forward to reading future blogs.
Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:04 PM
Jimmy is by no means a statue, but Cam is more athletic. You can't deny that. However, the article does use durability for some reason which makes no sense but whatever.
I think better examples for both "the roethelisberger factor" and "athleticism" would be the two times during the Giants game where Cam made the first rusher miss (granted he got sacked by the 2nd, but...), and the times in the game on Friday where he would break the pocket and run. He would have had a couple first downs if our running game was at all decent on those drives... of course, who knows if he coulda run if it hadn't been 3rd and long but whatever.