Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry Richardson to Cam: No Tattoos, No Piercings

282 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/24/jerry-richardson-to-cam-newton-no-tattoos-no-piercings/[/url]

[QUOTE]The first one relates to the pre-draft meeting between Richardson and quarterback Cam Newton. Though the topic was addressed by Tom Sorensen of the Charlotte Observer in April, it’s worth repeating.

Richardson, who said that Newton “was dressed perfectly” for their meeting, was blunt. “I said, ‘Do you have any tattoos?’” Richardson told Rose. “He said, ‘No, sir. I don’t have any.’ I said, ‘Do you have any piercings?’ He said, ‘No, sir. I don’t have any.’ I said, ‘We want to keep it that way.’ . . . .

[B]“We want to keep no tattoos, no piercings, and I think you’ve got a very nice haircut.”[/B]

Interjected the host: “You sound like a Lombardi.”

Said Richardson, “No, I just sound reasonable to me.”[/QUOTE]

I think this is fascinating.

I have no problem with a business owner giving stipulations to a potential employee.

I know this is PFT, but spare me.

Posted · Report post

JR is old school and this is his preference, but we have plenty of players with tatoos long hair so he isn't mandating anything, it's just his preference that you didn't have those things.

Posted · Report post

Who's "we"?

Posted · Report post

And none of that dad-gum hippity-hop music in mah locker room, whipper snapper!
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Damn. I have no problem with that however seems unfair to make that the standard for one employee and not the others.

Cam's got a nice unique look going. No reason to be come trite.

Posted · Report post

"Oh yeah, and Cameron. No white girls."
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

this might be a story if jr first told cam this after drafting him. this was just a pre-employment interview. obviously cam was fine with it.

diaf florio

Posted · Report post

Newton is the face of the franchise, his image is slightly more important than anyone elses, unfair or not.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Meanwhile at a local tattoo parlor....

[IMG]http://ssreporters.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/filephp.gif[/IMG]
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='BruceBrewski']"Oh yeah, and Cameron. No white girls."[/QUOTE]

The black man's Kryptonite

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Floppin']Newton is the face of the franchise, his image is slightly more important than anyone elses, unfair or not.[/QUOTE]

Especially considering his past, and don't get me wrong, I love me some Cam.

But, perceptions matter.

Posted · Report post

You mean to tell me the owner of an entertainment business wants to have his star look like a clean cut all american?

Stop the presses!

Posted · Report post

rich black guy yeah he cant have any.

Posted · Report post

The wierd part was at the end of the meeting JR brought out a bucket of bleach. It was awkward.

Posted · Report post

MJ?

Posted · Report post

Cam should do the full rodman and come in with yellow hair, piercings, tattoos and two of the fattest white women he can find

Posted · Report post

I think that is probably taking Jerry a tad too literal. I think he made it clear Cam can be the face of the franchise and possibly more.......and doesn't want him to change.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Cat']
Cam's got a nice unique look going. No reason to be come trite.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, Jerry is doing Cam a favor. If Cam's play ends up living up to the hype, he will have to beat endorsement deals off with a stick. He is a handsome, well spoken kid. Why limit that marketing potential with tatts? Right or wrong, some companies might not put a guy on a commercial if he is covered in tatts. Staying clean cut could make Cam billions (with a B) by the end of his career.

Plus, if I was ghey I'd hit that.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

If I were Cam I'd do exactly as JR suggested, and even go further with it. Clean cut, wholesome, family values, no public drinking, no clubbing, black or latino gf (don't want to upset the apple cart), no swearing, no rage, give back to the community, and then retire with a billion dollars. Hello heroine and whores!

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pantherj'] Hello heroine and whores![/QUOTE]

Both ends of the spectrum? Wonder Woman and the Whore of Babylon at the same time

Posted · Report post

The Panthers had a reputation for having thugs on the team in the late 90's after the whole Rae Carruth debacle, Fred Lane, Kerry Collins being racist, etc.

He knew Cam would be the unquestioned face of the franchise and he's trying to distance himself from those days. Nothing wrong with that. Even though tattoos and piercings in no way mean you're a thug, an old rich white man would of course associate the two. It's okay, he's writing the checks, he can do whatever he wants.

Posted · Report post

JR knew Cam was going to be the face of his franchise for many years. He is actually doing Cam a favor and very good advice. Cam has the potential to have Tiger Woods brand appeal if he keeps his appearance as it is and plays well. If Tiger got tatoos and piercings, his net worth would drop overnight.

Posted · Report post

Gonna have to disagree with jerry on this one. Cam is going to be the face of the franchise for what 10-15 years? Cam will be cam newton for the rest of his life. If he wants to get whatever he wants its his right to. Let the man enjoy his youth, i understand he is representing the carolina panthers but, he has a right to be who ever he wants to be when he's not on the field.

If it pisses off a few red blooded american then so be it. The fact that he's not allowed to grow dreadlock or have ear rings and such just seems so 40s and 50s. Seems like they want cam to jig and jive to there drum to please a certain audience. Who are we to tell him to be something he doesn't want to be. What if he was gay? I guess that was in the pre-employment screening. Cause being gay would tarnish the good ole boys image.

Posted · Report post

Zod had the same discussion with me before joining the huddle, no biggie.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='hepcat']The Panthers had a reputation for having thugs on the team in the late 90's after the whole Rae Carruth debacle, Fred Lane, Kerry Collins being racist, etc.

He knew Cam would be the unquestioned face of the franchise and he's trying to distance himself from those days. Nothing wrong with that. Even though tattoos and piercings in no way mean you're a thug, an old rich white man would of course associate the two. It's okay, he's writing the checks, he can do whatever he wants.[/QUOTE]

I'll remember to pay someone before making prejudice insinuations, thanks for the tip.

Because I love football for football, and not the drama, I really don't care. JR is a buisness man thinks of this team like so and as we all know most businesses you try and work for won't hire you with a bunch of piercings and tattoos. It's traditional and it's prejudice, but it's no the end of the world, I doubt anyone thinks have to listen to an old traditional man who doesn't even know what email is.