Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

koolkatluke

Victims Of Miami Booster's Ponzi scheme could sue players who received Benefits.

66 posts in this topic

Nothing will come of this. Beason and the others would only have to repay victims if they knew the money's true source and, even then, a good NFL lawyer could probably get them out of that too.

And as for the NFL suspending these guys, that's the most goddamned idiotic thing I've ever heard. This would be like your current employer disciplining you for something you did while working somewhere else years ago. What business is it of theirs and why should they care if you'd been a model employee at your time with your current employer?

Improper benefits is to the NCAA what tampering is to the NFL.

Virtually everyone is doing it, but a blind eye is turned unless a situation blows up and forces the hand of the NCAA or NFL. That's just the way it works.

Want coaches to to be more aware and accountable at the collegiate level? Enforce the same penalties that the institutions receive to the coach, and he has to take those penalties with him if he gets a new HC gig.

Want coaches to to be more aware and accountable at the collegiate level? Enforce the same penalties that the institutions receive to the coach, and he has to take those penalties with him if he gets a new HC gig.

Absolutely. The school and kids get nailed, but the coach just skips town and gets another job. If a school hires a known offender, they should face even stiffer penalties when they get nailed.

Calipari has been doing it for years. He's had Final Four seasons vacated at both UMass and Memphis. Does anyone have any doubt that he's going to get Kentucky nailed eventually?

I don't.

Look what Carroll did at USC.

It's blowing up a lot more nowadays.

Yep and take a look at the three most high profile recent ones...

OSU - huge media expose by Charles Robinson

UNC - idiot player Tweeting about improper benefits that the media latched onto

Miami - improper benefits uncovered by federal investigation into ponzi scheme and a huge media expose by Charles Robinson coming on the heels of that

If you want to go back to the last huge one, it would be Reggie Bush and USC. That one was also unveiled by a Robinson expose.

The common theme is that none of them were uncovered by the NCAA. They saw the poo storm coming and then acted. The NCAA rarely uncovers anything themselves.

...and I could sue the moon for being too bright, but I won't win anything either.

I think you would have to prove that the players who received the benefits were co-conspirators in the ponzi scheme... good luck with that.

1 person likes this