Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Duke as a 1 seed?

32 posts in this topic

Posted

actually ACC is one of the few leagues that still awards the conference championship to the winner of the tournament instead of doing what makes sense and awarding it to the reg season champion

Posted

actually ACC is one of the few leagues that still awards the conference championship to the winner of the tournament instead of doing what makes sense and awarding it to the reg season champion

Wrong again, they award banners for both. I guess you've never been to Cameron...

Posted

Too many teams in front of Duke to get it, no matter if they win tomorrow or not.

Posted

The team officially recognized as champion of the league is the winner of the tourney is my point. I am sure the school can hang a banner for 3rd place if they would like.

Posted

My point when I started this thread was that they should atleast be in the discussion. Sorry if my hatred for the Holes got in the way of that.

Posted

Wrong again, they award banners for both. I guess you've never been to Cameron...

Correct. And honestly even though UNC holds the most ACC championships, I put more weight behind the regular season champs. Most people don't realize how much more important these tournaments use to be. It use to be that only the conference tournament champion went to the big dance. Now winning a conference tournament isn't so important unless you are a bubble team or a team in a mid major conference that wouldn't get an at large bid.

That said, I still would have liked for UNC to win it, but without Lawson I knew that would be a tall order.

Posted

The team officially recognized as champion of the league is the winner of the tourney is my point. I am sure the school can hang a banner for 3rd place if they would like.
You're wrong. The ACC tournament and the regular season are two totally separate entities. The winner of the ACC tournament is the ACC tournament champ. The winner of the regular season (determined by records) is the regular season champ.

It used to be that the winner of the tournament was called the ACC champion because that was the ONLY team that went to the NCAA tournament. That's not been the case for almost 30 years.

Posted

Nope, never been to Cameron. I would like my first game there to be a Duke UNC game. At the moment I dont have 3k or so to spend on a 2 hour game.