Photo
- - - - -

The Pickens Plan (Energy)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#16 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:49 AM

“I know what people say – water’s a lot like air. Do you charge for air? ‘Course not; you shouldn’t charge for water . . .Well, OK, watch what happens. You won’t have any water.”

Yeah, F that dude and anything he does or says...

#17 Niner National

Niner National

HUDDLER

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. Air is freely available. It doesn't have to be piped into your home.

Delivering water to homes and treating water to make it safe to drink requires billions of dollars of infrastructure.

#18 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

HUDDLER

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. Air is freely available. It doesn't have to be piped into your home.

Delivering water to homes and treating water to make it safe to drink requires billions of dollars of infrastructure.

The problem is that he buys land with small aquifer veins that lead to a large reservoir underneath someone else's property, sucks it dry, and then sells the water as his property.... When, in reality, that water was a communal good that he took advantage of for profit...

This is where this energy stuff is leading... to more regulation on the private citizen to prevent them from harnessing this energy (solar, wind, etc.) on their own... to the benefit of those that would profit from it...

#19 Niner National

Niner National

HUDDLER

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

Gotcha. I didn't realize he was doing that.

#20 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

HUDDLER

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:57 AM

read this

http://www.businessw...89040017753.htm

#21 MADCAT

MADCAT

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

Electricity generated from Natural Gas turbines is the most expensive way to generate in today’s market, its 250% more costly than nuclear energy.
I work at one of your local Nuclear stations, believe me I know how badly off our grid is.
Everyone has 2 refrigerators, everyone has 5 TVs, XBOX 360s, PS3s, Wiis, 3 stereos, and everyone lives in complete comfort with their HVAC running nonstop. I do. Nothing is going to save us. We (humans) are pigs with power and we only are getting worse.

Edited by MADCAT, 18 October 2011 - 11:33 AM.

#22 Niner National

Niner National

HUDDLER

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

Electricity generated from Natural Gas turbines is the most expensive way to generate in today’s market, its 250% more costly than nuclear energy.
I work at one of your local Nuclear stations, believe me I know how badly off our grid is.
Everyone has 2 refrigerators, everyone has 5 TVs, XBOX 360s, PS3s, Wiis, 3 stereos, and everyone lives in complete comfort with their HVAC running nonstop. I do. Nothing is going to save us. We (humans) are pigs with power and we only are getting worse.

Yep. A lot of natural gas plants are 'peakers.' While I'm positive you know what this means, for those of you unaware, these are plants that only run during peak load when the base load plants cannot meet demand.

These plants must be able to start generating electricity in a matter of minutes, but do not produce power all the time. This makes them very expensive to operate. This is why 'peak' rates in areas that differentiate rates by time of day are so much higher than the rate of electricity at night.