• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#31 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

They drove Tubby Smith (a great coach) out of town, and now they aren't even giving this guy a third season. It isn't even like Billy G had a horrible year.
If I'm a great college basketball coach right now, I'm not even considering Kentucky. Sure, they've got tradition, but they haven't finished better than 4th in the SEC East for four years in a row. It isn't like they are extremely relevant anymore. Though, the fans feel entitled. It's almost a rebuilding project to get them back to what they're expected to be. Oh, and there is a tiny amount of time that they'll give you to work the magic.
If they blow it on this hire, they'll be the next Indiana.

http://jay-mariotti....ky-fried-chaos/

Tubby Smith deserved to get run out of town. He was the college hoops equivalent of Mike Shanahan. Kentucky was at the top of the CB world when he took over. They were sliding downward and there wasn't any hope. The AD made a mistake hiring Gillispie. It happens. If/when we get the right coach, we'll be back on top because those same fans you criticize are what make Kentucky special. The passion, and with it the financial backing, to win is unmatched anywhere.

#32 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, but I'm trying to convince myself that Kentucky is going to only get worse. Why would you try to ruin that for me?
I do think Mariotti makes a few good points though.

#33 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

"University of Memphis coach John Calipari met with his players this morning to discuss his involvement with the University of Kentucky opening, according to a source close to the situation.

While Calipari did not say explicitly what he planned to do, players left the meeting convinced that Calipari would take the job. According to the source, Calipari told the team that Kentucky was the Notre Dame of basketball."

Word

#34 JakeFlake

JakeFlake

The King of Kings

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

Is the AD taking any hits for hiring Gilispie?

#35 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:59 AM

Word

Good pickup if it proves to be true and it appears to be...

#36 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

It's official. Calimari to Kentucky.
Damn!

#37 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

Beeeeeeeautiful

#38 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:26 PM

Gives Dimbee a high five

I hope he can get his recruits to come with him...the ones that didn't already commit to Memphis

#39 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:04 PM

Gives Dimbee a high five

I hope he can get his recruits to come with him...the ones that didn't already commit to Memphis

This is chest bump time, dog

:cool:

#40 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

This is chest bump time, dog

:cool:

No. This is me and you doing that dance that LeBron does in his commercial.

:D

#41 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

No. This is me and you doing that dance that LeBron does in his commercial.

:D

That's the Kid n Play, yo!!!

#42 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

ESPN is now reporting that the Calipari deal is done and he is the new coach at KY...

#43 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

Hell yes

#44 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

another blow to non-bcs conference basketball teams across the country. Calipari and Memphis have shown big time recruits that they can go to a team in a non big six conference and still contend for a national championship. The only holdout left is Sean Miller of Xavier. I have to question Calipari's decision. He had everything he wanted at Memphis; success, big recruits, good salary, a lot of national exposure, etc. Memphis boosters even put together a package that would pay him SEVEN MILLION dollars per year and he STILL left. A lot of the recruits for Memphis are now holding out of their decisions and some of the current players are being rumored to have said they will leave. If he wants to leave a good impression, he'll tell the recruits not to follow him as Roy Williams did when he left Kansas for Chapel Hill.

#45 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:37 PM

I have to question Calipari's decision. He had everything he wanted at Memphis; success, big recruits, good salary, a lot of national exposure, etc. Memphis boosters even put together a package that would pay him SEVEN MILLION dollars per year and he STILL left. A lot of the recruits for Memphis are now holding out of their decisions and some of the current players are being rumored to have said they will leave. If he wants to leave a good impression, he'll tell the recruits not to follow him as Roy Williams did when he left Kansas for Chapel Hill.

Come on Tensor. How do you know John "had everything he wanted at Memphis?" Obviously, he didn't. Memphis is not UK.

UK>Memphis.

Bottom line-

One is on TV every week and one is not

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com