Photo
- - - - -

Billy G OUT at Kentucky

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
118 replies to this topic

#106 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

There is absolutely nothing douchey about coming into a basketball program and letting the players know that if they don't fit then they won't play. With today's college basketball (especially the big programs) being a "win now" situation (see Billy Gillispie/Matt Doherty), I don't blame a coach for ridding themselves of players that won't help them win now.

#107 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

You've got a five star point guard who wants to play for you. You're going to tell him no because the previous coach left behind a couple of two-star players at that position? John Fox turned over half his roster when he got to Carolina. Why can't college coaches do the same?

#108 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

You've got a five star point guard who wants to play for you. You're going to tell him no because the previous coach left behind a couple of two-star players at that position? John Fox turned over half his roster when he got to Carolina. Why can't college coaches do the same?

The NFL is a business with professional athletes, ENTIRELY different story. If a college offers a scholarship they should stick by it. However i have no problem with them sitting as long as they honor the scholarship.

#109 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:13 PM

The NFL is a business with professional athletes, ENTIRELY different story. If a college offers a scholarship they should stick by it. However i have no problem with them sitting as long as they honor the scholarship.

While I agree with the spirit in which you're speaking, I can't help but disagree in that such values don't exist in major college sports. No matter how naive we want to be about major college sports, they are just as much a money-maker for the school as they are an extracurricular activity for the students. As far as the scholarship goes, it's an athletic scholarship, not an academic scholarship- so, as far as I'm concerned, if you're not able to athletically meet the standard that the coach holds for the team then you're not on the team.

#110 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,693 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:45 PM

But what if the coach changes and the athletic standard change, do you take the scholarship away just because they didn't meet the new coaches needs even if they performed well the previous season.

#111 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:52 PM

But what if the coach changes and the athletic standard change, do you take the scholarship away just because they didn't meet the new coaches needs even if they performed well the previous season.

Unfortunately, yes. It sucks, but that's the way it is. It's not like this is an unheard of thing. Coaches change. Players transfer to other schools regularly and the NCAA has granted players the freedom to transfer schools should the coach change and not lose the year of eligibility. Recruiting isn't just about playing for that school... it's very much about playing for that coach in his system

#112 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:09 AM

While I agree with the spirit in which you're speaking, I can't help but disagree in that such values don't exist in major college sports. No matter how naive we want to be about major college sports, they are just as much a money-maker for the school as they are an extracurricular activity for the students. As far as the scholarship goes, it's an athletic scholarship, not an academic scholarship- so, as far as I'm concerned, if you're not able to athletically meet the standard that the coach holds for the team then you're not on the team.

While i do agree. I think they should still honor the scholarship if they offer it. Obviously if they fug up then ok.

#113 Panthericulous

Panthericulous

I'm calmer than you are..

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:04 AM

I assume by bringing that argument up, that means you have in fact sat down and talked with Coach Cal face to face??? I mean correct me if I am wrong, but you haven't had a meeting with him either.

As for first choice, I am pretty sure Billy Donovan was their first choice and then he announced he would be staying at Florida.

As for Cal's background just ask Wes, he knows him the best.

Posted Image

Such an ambassador of the game, he even helped Ron get away during the Malace at the Palace.

as soon as i typed that i knew thats how it would be read... my bad...

what i meant is it is not fair to assume... either way... but i tend to side on the fact that UK did their hw and knew the amount of pressure based on this one hire

#114 Panthericulous

Panthericulous

I'm calmer than you are..

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:09 AM

players can opt out of a scholarship at any point, so why cant the school...

idealy when you sign a kid to play for your school, it is a 4 year contract... but many times... after one year, they decide they want to leave and go to the nba... if they can do it why cant a new coach do it when he knows certain players wont fit his scheme...

#115 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:33 PM

While i do agree. I think they should still honor the scholarship if they offer it. Obviously if they fug up then ok.

For some players, the scholarships are honored; others are not. It's simple and it's blunt: coaches offer the scholarships on behalf of the school. Coaches change; expectations and standards change.

#116 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:09 AM

Why is this such a hard concept?...

#117 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

Why is this such a hard concept?...

It shouldn't be, except for those who are hell bent upon finding something to bitch about though they'd never apply the same rules to their own team

#118 Luc21

Luc21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:44 PM

I have to side with the Kentucky boys on this one. It is a sticky subject no matter how you look at it, but like people have already posted, this happens at every school.

As for the player getting out of their scholarship, this is a great point. It is a two way street. Another point is that an athletic scholarship is only good year to year. It is not a 4 year contract.

I will say this, if Cal brings in like 4 or 5 new players and gets rid of 4-5 old players/recruits, he has probably pushed the envelope a bit, but no one is to say he broke any rules over it.

#119 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

It shouldn't be, except for those who are hell bent upon finding something to bitch about though they'd never apply the same rules to their own team

I wasn't saying UK is terrible for doing it. Every school does it. Just bothers me.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com