Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:12 PM

Duke>Kentucky

Home state team...come on Johnny...

since when has there been a home state fan of Duke?

#33 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

Word is Roy Williams called John Wall from Detroit last night. Don't really know any details beyond that or if it really means anything but I find it interesting that Roy is doing this now of all times. Maybe he doesn't have as much faith in LDII as he'd like going into next year.

This could get interesting, but it seems kind of late to be getting involved with recruiting him with the amount of time already invested by many other teams.

#34 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

Word is Roy Williams called John Wall from Detroit last night. Don't really know any details beyond that or if it really means anything but I find it interesting that Roy is doing this now of all times. Maybe he doesn't have as much faith in LDII as he'd like going into next year.

This could get interesting, but it seems kind of late to be getting involved with recruiting him with the amount of time already invested by many other teams.

Not if he lands him...

#35 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

Not if he lands him...

Well sure IF he lands him. I just don't get the timing of all this. I mean, Roy should be concentrating on coaching this years team in the final four and maybe going over tape of Villanova...NOT calling some recruit (albeit a fuging stud recruit) that's been involved with about 5 other schools (NC State, Kansas, Memphis, etc). I mean, unless Wall is already a big UNC fan why would he choose UNC over teams that have been recruiting him pretty hard for the past few months in particular.

#36 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:21 PM

Well sure IF he lands him. I just don't get the timing of all this. I mean, Roy should be concentrating on coaching this years team in the final four and maybe going over tape of Villanova...NOT calling some recruit (albeit a fuging stud recruit) that's been involved with about 5 other schools (NC State, Kansas, Memphis, etc). I mean, unless Wall is already a big UNC fan why would he choose UNC over teams that have been recruiting him pretty hard for the past few months in particular.

Your point about why should he call a top line recruit because he should be watching thread is pretty funny. Should he not eat lunch, dinner or sleep either? A 5 minute conversation with a recruit doesn't take a thing away from preparation...

#37 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

Your point about why should he call a top line recruit because he should be watching thread is pretty funny. Should he not eat lunch, dinner or sleep either? A 5 minute conversation with a recruit doesn't take a thing away from preparation...

I think it could be a distraction not just for the 5 minutes (or however long they talked). LDII has no doubt heard about this by now, and since he was supposed to be taking over after Ty left, this might not sit well with him which could affect his play this weekend. Pure speculation on my part but the possibility does exist. Wall is from all accounts a superb point guard, and most likely even better suited to start next year than LDII, who has struggled a bit this year.

I'm not complaining about Wall and Roy having these conversations, I'm complaining about the timing.

#38 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

it would be funny to see the backtracking of certain people if he did decide on Carolina...Actually some of the comments of why Williams hasn't went after him will already be backtracking

#39 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

it would be funny to see the backtracking of certain people if he did decide on Carolina...Actually some of the comments of why Williams hasn't went after him will already be backtracking

Which is why I haven't said anything about the kid. I don't know him personally. I have heard that his "handlers" were the wedge between him and Roy. Apparently things have changed from that standpoint. There is a credible source on IC that is saying that if everything goes well (whatever that means) Wall will be announcing his commitment to UNC at the Jordan Classic (Apr. 18th I think he said). We'll see what happens.

#40 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

I think it could be a distraction not just for the 5 minutes (or however long they talked). LDII has no doubt heard about this by now, and since he was supposed to be taking over after Ty left, this might not sit well with him which could affect his play this weekend. Pure speculation on my part but the possibility does exist. Wall is from all accounts a superb point guard, and most likely even better suited to start next year than LDII, who has struggled a bit this year.

I'm not complaining about Wall and Roy having these conversations, I'm complaining about the timing.

Well looking at it from that angle, I can agree with you...

#41 Luc21

Luc21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

Yeah, crediable sources at The Devils Den are reporting the same thing. Wall to announce at the Jordan All Star game for Carolina. After one call from Roy. Seems hard to believe, but who knows.

I will say this, the majority of Carolina fans now have to backtrack what they have been saying for the past couple months about Duke going after Wall. I guess now he is a good kid and this isn't a "desperation" act of recruiting. It is really unbelievable.

#42 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

Even though this source is supposedly "credible", I'm not going to believe it until it happens. All of this seems a bit odd to me how UNC would have a shot at this guy after missing out on much of the recruiting process.

I also seem to remember that Brandon Wright was "in the bag" for dook and we know how that one turned out...this could very well end up being the same thing but in reverse.

#43 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, crediable sources at The Devils Den are reporting the same thing. Wall to announce at the Jordan All Star game for Carolina. After one call from Roy. Seems hard to believe, but who knows.

I will say this, the majority of Carolina fans now have to backtrack what they have been saying for the past couple months about Duke going after Wall. I guess now he is a good kid and this isn't a "desperation" act of recruiting. It is really unbelievable.

Not the first time it's happened, won't be the last. I'm sure K has done that as well. Just depends on the kid's heart. He starts going with those that seem interested and at the last minute the team he has always cherished calls and he jumps. I'm sure Duke has a few of those stories.

For the record, the first comments I've had about John are here, so I have no backtracking to do...

#44 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

exactly, I never really followed the kid that much, because he was not a target recruit for Carolina now. I knew the kid is good, but other than that I have no clue about him.

#45 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:06 PM

I don't like the move at all. Wall may be the best player ever, and I still don't like the shadey handlers and suspect academic record.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com