Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Postal Service reports massive $5 billion loss

110 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Yet UPS and Fedex(privatized) report gains every quarter. Perfect example of why the government shouldnt be managing business, PERIOD. I love watching those stupid USPS commercials knowing that I paid for them, f**king great!

Neither UPS nor Fed Ex make a stop at EVERY residential address and most business addresses 6 days a week.

Apples and oranges...

Posted · Report post

That assumes that the delivery service makes regular trips down every road. There is a reason you cant send a letter via UPS or FED Ex for less than 10 bucks. Because every residential delivery is essentially a special trip for the delivery vehicle.

tumblr_lgbilzDkVB1qf8yek.gif

Posted · Report post

maybe if we got them to deliver pizzas as they delivered the mail.......thats the ticket

Posted · Report post

maybe if we got them to deliver pizzas as they delivered the mail.......thats the ticket

Then we will really need govt backed healthcare

Posted · Report post

That assumes that the delivery service makes regular trips down every road. There is a reason you cant send a letter via UPS or FED Ex for less than 10 bucks. Because every residential delivery is essentially a special trip for the delivery vehicle.

Like it or not the logistics of running a for profit business would make serving every address in the country everyday a losing proposition. Just ask the USPS.

Well that's certainly a massive problem that "WARGBARGL PRIVATIZE" in and of itself doesn't come close to resolving.

Posted · Report post

The Postal Service could jack up their prices the same way a private company would have to.

The UPS model is totally inadequate for what the Postal Service does. If it were anywhere remotely possible they felt they could make any money by taking it over, I'm sure we would have heard some kind of proposal from them by now.

Posted · Report post

Neither UPS nor Fed Ex make a stop at EVERY residential address and most business addresses 6 days a week.

Apples and oranges...

Good point.

Posted · Report post

I would say that 3/4 of the mail delivered is "junk mail" and sales papers and such. USPS does not charge enough for the bulk mail as it too has to go to every household just to be trashed.

The whole system needs to be re evaluated. I can have "junk" calls stopped from coming into my home, why not "junk" mail? Would the gov be better off spending money to help consumers learn about paperless systems rather than propping up a dinosaur which is sucking money out of the taxpayer.

Immediately stop the advertisements of the USPS. Love the fact that they spend money on tv ads promoting a product that loses tons of money. The more they sell, the more we lose.

Posted · Report post

So basically the only reason we have at this point to continue with the UPS is to send people jury summons less expensively?

Posted · Report post

The Postal Service could jack up their prices the same way a private company would have to.

Except that the postal service relies on economies of scale that require a certain volume of mail. Increase prices, volume goes down, postal service goes further in the shitter.

I think the post office is just one of those services that government provides that we are just going to lose money on. Simple as that.

Posted · Report post

Except that the postal service relies on economies of scale that require a certain volume of mail. Increase prices, volume goes down, postal service goes further in the shitter.

I think the post office is just one of those services that government provides that we are just going to lose money on. Simple as that.

But we could lose less.

Reduce the number of delivery days and increase the cost (slightly ~.01/pc) on bulk mail.

That would go a long way towards reducing the losses.

Posted · Report post

Kramer went the 'no mail' route, and he ended up with a potato sack over his head in a back room somewhere. Not me man. No way. Bring on the Bed Bath & Pizza coupons!

1 person likes this