Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can the Panthers afford to go Offense with their 1st pick in the Draft?

182 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I know, Matt Kalil is tempting.
Yes, we will get Jon Beason back.
But the level of play on the field today by the defense was truly pathetic.
We can score plenty of points to win games.

Discuss.

Posted · Report post

What defensive player would you take with a top five pick? (probably 2nd overall)

Posted · Report post

Kalil won't be our pick. I'd bet my house and cars on it. I'm very confident in saying the team will go defense for the majority of the draft.

Posted · Report post

Yes.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pcline25']Kalil won't be our pick. I'd bet my house and cars on it. I'm very confident in saying the team will go defense for the majority of the draft.[/QUOTE]

What do you drive and where do you live?

Posted · Report post

We gotta go D...

Posted · Report post

Claiborne is the #3 player in the draft.

Posted · Report post

Guys really aren't getting this whole bpa thing are you?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Fiz']Guys really aren't getting this whole bpa thing are you?[/QUOTE]

There is always the trade down a bit stockpile picks route ala Jon Beason.

Posted · Report post

Move back or go BPA but don't reach for a position of need. If Claiborne really is a top 5-6player in this year's draft then he's got to be the pick. But if he ends up being a middle of the round kind of talent then you can't pick him in the top 5. You try to move down and get more picks if that is the case because IMO there isn't a justification in taking Matt Kalil for our team. Not saying that OT isn't important but it is LESS important when you have a QB like Cam Newton who can make something out of nothing. Ben Roethlisberger won 2 superbowls with two of the worst offensive lines in the league because of talent that he has outside of the pocket.

Posted · Report post

first off, i dont see us getting the top pick, i think we beat the Colts, 2nd, if we do get the top pick, i still say a WR, i know people will say the same thing they said last year, but Blackmon would just make Cam Newton a better QB and would take a ton of pressure off Smith, plus, we can find defense in free agency, but this time, we need to get a DT and a CB.

Posted · Report post

We won't go offense. Anyone who thinks so has lost their mind. It doesn't matter how cool you think it would be to have two Kalil's, the team doesn't care about PR. I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade down and go D with our first 4 picks.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

You people act like we won't be picking at or near the top of every other round for the rest of the draft

loads and loads of talent after we pick at 2

Posted · Report post

Kalil then all Defense Or trade down for multiple picks on Defense.

Gross days at LT are numbered, he's overrated and getting old. Kalil is best LT prospect since Joe Thomas

Posted · Report post

I would take Kalil over reaching for a defensive player not worth the overall #2-#5 pick all day and twice on Sundays.

You can NEVER go wrong by getting a franchise tackle.

There are no DTs worthy of a Top 5 pick. Same for LBs in my opinion.

And Top 5 DBs are inherently risky picks.

If we're sitting there and can't trade down to amass more picks, Kalil is the smart move.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kevin Greene']There is always the trade down a bit stockpile picks route ala Jon Beason.[/QUOTE]

Much different situation in 2007.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='unicar15']Move back or go BPA but don't reach for a position of need. If Claiborne really is a top 5-6player in this year's draft then he's got to be the pick. But if he ends up being a middle of the round kind of talent then you can't pick him in the top 5. You try to move down and get more picks if that is the case because IMO there isn't a justification in taking Matt Kalil for our team. Not saying that OT isn't important but it is LESS important when you have a QB like Cam Newton who can make something out of nothing. Ben Roethlisberger won 2 superbowls with two of the worst offensive lines in the league because of talent that he has outside of the pocket.[/QUOTE]

I kinda disagree here.

Cornerback is not our biggest problem. Neither is OL, of course, but if you're gonna go BPA at a position of lesser need, always go for the franchise tackle.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Fiz']Much different situation in 2007.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but moving down from 14 to 25 gave us the extra 2nd round pick we used on Ryan Kalil.

Posted · Report post

cam has to be protected and given more time.

the rest of the offseason moves (draft/fa/trades) can be spent on defense.

getting guys healthy is the most important thing that can be done for the defense, though.

we should go bpa, of course, but according to need and kalil is more than likely going to be the guy that fits that bill.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MWCarolina']first off, i dont see us getting the top pick, i think we beat the Colts, 2nd, if we do get the top pick, i still say a WR, i know people will say the same thing they said last year, but Blackmon would just make Cam Newton a better QB and would take a ton of pressure off Smith, plus, we can find defense in free agency, but this time, we need to get a DT and a CB.[/QUOTE]

Getting the #1 *or* the #2 pick is not a position I envy us to be in... means another horrible year this year.

But if we DO end up there, both of those picks are gonna be reeeeeal valuable. Luck, of course, from this far out looks to be the clear #1. But if Barkley shows out in his Pro Day workout and private workouts, he will also be a highly coveted player for those many, many teams desperate for a QB. Add on top of that the rookie signing scale (and no or few chances for holdouts), with two players like Luck and Barkley just standing out like that, both the #1 and #2 picks are gonna be GOLD.

My hope, if we're in the unfortunate position to have one of those picks, is that we are able to sell and sell high.

Posted · Report post

Guys in 07 the panthers had a lower pick that didn't require as much ammo to make a deal happen.

The only thin I can think of would be someone like Washington falling in love with Landry jones enough to make the move.

Kalil just makes too much sense. It fits with every single thing the panthers do and fits with hurney's history. Remember he got his stripes during the hog days in Washington.

There's no one pick the panthers could make to fix their offensive line, defensive line, and special teams.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MWCarolina']first off, i dont see us getting the top pick, i think we beat the Colts, 2nd, if we do get the top pick, i still say a WR, i know people will say the same thing they said last year, but Blackmon would just make Cam Newton a better QB and would take a ton of pressure off Smith, plus, we can find defense in free agency, but this time, we need to get a DT and a CB.[/QUOTE]

David Gettis, remember him? Receiver is a luxury with the way this defense is playing.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rayzor']cam has to be protected and given more time.

the rest of the offseason moves (draft/fa/trades) can be spent on defense.

getting guys healthy is the most important thing that can be done for the defense, though.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because drafting mid round DT's really did wonders for us this season.
So we should just sign a big name veteran DT to fix it then. Oh wait. The market is bare, there isn't one to be found. Alright, then we will just have a blockbuster trade where we solidify our defense. Oh, yeah, those don't happen either.

Drafting an OT with our first pick would so beyond the realm of intelligent moves, I'd probably quit being a fan until Hurney was fired.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Cat'sGrowl']Yes, because drafting mid round DT's really did wonders for us this season..[/QUOTE]

Christ this is such tortured reasoning.

Posted · Report post

There could be 4 QB's in top 10:

Luck, Jones, Barkley and Robert Griffen is rising fast