Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is best value at the 5 slot?

32 posts in this topic

Posted

if kalil's already selected you go with the most dynamic defensive player on the board, whoever that happens to be come draft time

If Kalil is as good as everyone thinks he is then he's not going to be there when we pick.

Posted

If Kalil is as good as everyone thinks he is then he's not going to be there when we pick.

Not only will Kalil not be there when we pick, we wouldn't take him if he were there. If you guy's listen to Rivera at the 11:00 mark in his latest presser he say's "If we continue to shore things up on defense, we give ourselves a better chance to win." Now I may be reading too much into it, but it seems like he is pretty satisfied with the Offense, and wants to concentrate on defense in this draft. Does anyone else kind of get that vibe, or am I looking too much into it?

http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/videos/Ron-Rivera-Presser/d8cc4fb4-ca0a-45c4-9200-0291d4bfe26c

Posted

Not only will Kalil not be there when we pick, we wouldn't take him if he were there. If you guy's listen to Rivera at the 11:00 mark in his latest presser he say's "If we continue to shore things up on defense, we give ourselves a better chance to win." Now I may be reading too much into it, but it seems like he is pretty satisfied with the Offense, and wants to concentrate on defense in this draft. Does anyone else kind of get that vibe, or am I looking too much into it?

http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/videos/Ron-Rivera-Presser/d8cc4fb4-ca0a-45c4-9200-0291d4bfe26c

I get it too. Hurney said when they shut Otah down it was to make sure that he be would be good to go in 2012 last year of his contract. They will take so much heat next year if they dont address the defense in the off season and we get the same result from this year next year. There not gonna take that chance. I have said when it comes to Blackmon or Kalil i want Blackmon. Playoff bound teams are winning with LTs nowhere near the talent of Gross and we will have other OL coming back off injuries too, but for me i have also said i wouldn't be mad whoever they picked because they are all gonna be great players in that top 5.

Posted

I didn't watch the video, but from the quote you gave I would say you are reading too much in to it. The defense can be shored up through free agency just as much as the draft. Plus, when you are picking in the top 5 you don't take a defensive player just because you suck on defense. The value has to be right to take any player that high, and if there isn't a defensive player worthy of our pick, they will go with the best overall player.

And right tackle is just as big of a question mark as any of the defensive positions IMO. We made a huge investment in Cam last year, and we have to protect it. Bell has been getting beat like a rug for weeks now, and Otah is nothing but a lazy, fat pussy. He's had a full year already to come in healthy, but he couldn't do it. Absolutely no reason to believe he'll be fine next year.

Posted

I don't think there is a defensive lineman worthy of a top ten pick this year. I insist on getting Blackmon if he's there because Smith has 1 year left on the deal and who knows what Gettis is going to do when he gets back.

Kalil is intriguing, but I don't think he gets past the Rams, who will have the 2nd pick.

Let's see where we finish the season first. I think the Panthers will win at Tampa and beat Atlanta at home.

Posted

Mocks are starting to have Brandon Thompson dropping to the second round and the guy from Washington too. If we can get Claiborne in the first and Thompson in the second that would be a huge win. I like our DTs and think they could grow into something but im just not seeing that inside pass rush we need to help out our DEs and that is what Thompsons biggest strength is. Inside disruption.

Posted

I didn't watch the video, but from the quote you gave I would say you are reading too much in to it. The defense can be shored up through free agency just as much as the draft. Plus, when you are picking in the top 5 you don't take a defensive player just because you suck on defense. The value has to be right to take any player that high, and if there isn't a defensive player worthy of our pick, they will go with the best overall player.

And right tackle is just as big of a question mark as any of the defensive positions IMO. We made a huge investment in Cam last year, and we have to protect it. Bell has been getting beat like a rug for weeks now, and Otah is nothing but a lazy, fat pussy. He's had a full year already to come in healthy, but he couldn't do it. Absolutely no reason to believe he'll be fine next year.

Listen to what Rivera says before the quote I posted. He praises the offense and indicates that we are already in a great situation, and praises Bell at the RT position.. says that Bell grades out very well, which I don't buy. It might give you a different perspective.

Posted

I don't think Rivera is too enthused about McClains play as of late.. he mentioned in his presser than McClain has 'hit a wall' and Fua has been improving rapidly.

he's talking about rookie wall though, very different from wanting to replace them with another very young player in the draft.

to me, the smarter move would be to bring in some veteran, hopefully quality, depth for DT in FA. More youth just seems like the wrong idea for DT.

On the other hand, CB and OLB should be addressed in this draft, just dunno if they will in the first round...