Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cyber Security Bill

38 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

This is a law to do it correctly, with accountability and proof that a need exists. That was people breaking an existing law with no accountability and no need to provide proof that a need exists. A little different.

In fact, the law that existed for the secret court and all that (the equivalent of this bill) was in place, created expressly for the purpose of emergency granting of powers, and was ignored solely to get away with turture, rendition, etc., so in point of fact your analogy shows clearly the difference between the Bush Administration and the Obama Administration, so thanks.

Posted · Report post

people screaming about wiretapping terror suspects are fine and dandy with this bill ... go figure.

Hypocrisy and party favoritism in washington....

news at 11....

well done though, you've really stepped up your bitching since February.

Posted · Report post

This is a law to do it correctly, with accountability and proof that a need exists. That was people breaking an existing law with no accountability and no need to provide proof that a need exists. A little different.

In fact, the law that existed for the secret court and all that (the equivalent of this bill) was in place, created expressly for the purpose of emergency granting of powers, and was ignored solely to get away with turture, rendition, etc., so in point of fact your analogy shows clearly the difference between the Bush Administration and the Obama Administration, so thanks.

the idea of emergency granting of powers is redundant however, if the need arises the power will be given, whether granted officially or not. the problem I have with this is that as deac said, it's probably not going to be necessary. As I believe that's the case the probability that it will be used incorrectly, either in this administration or future administrations is much higher than the probability of it being necessary and impactful in the way it was intended.

Posted · Report post

Hypocrisy and party favoritism in washington....

news at 11....

well done though, you've really stepped up your bitching since February.

Mission accomplished ... I wanted to be on your radar.

Posted · Report post

Mission accomplished ... I wanted to be on your radar.

oh sweetheart, you're always on my radar...

Posted · Report post

I've been drivin' all night, my hand's wet on the wheel

There's a voice in my head that drives my heel

It's my baby callin', says I need you here

And it's half past four and I'm shifting gear

When she's lonely and the longing gets too much

She sends a cable comin' in from above

We don't need no phone at all

We've got a thing that's called radar love

We've got a wave in the air, radar love

The radio's playing some forgotten song

Brenda Lee's "Coming on Strong"

The road's got me hypnotized

And I'm speeding into a new sunrise

When I get lonely, and I'm sure I've had enough

She sends her comfort, comin' in from above

Don't need no radio at all

We've got a thing that's called radar love

We’ve got a line in the sky, radar love

No more speed, I'm almost there

Gotta keep cool now, gotta take care

Last car to pass, here I go

And the line of cars drove down real slow

And the radio played that forgotten song

Brenda Lee's "Coming on Strong"

And the newsman sang his same song

One more radar lover's gone

When I'm feeling lonely and I'm sure I've had enough

She sends the comfort coming in from above

Don't need no radio at all

We got a thing that's called radar love

We got a line in the sky

Posted · Report post

the idea of emergency granting of powers is redundant however, if the need arises the power will be given, whether granted officially or not. the problem I have with this is that as deac said, it's probably not going to be necessary. As I believe that's the case the probability that it will be used incorrectly, either in this administration or future administrations is much higher than the probability of it being necessary and impactful in the way it was intended.

Actually, I said it is necessary, but will likely never be needed. In other words, a contingency plan for a worst case internet scenario. Personally, I think it would be exceedingly difficult to maintain a large scale cyber attack for any significant length of time.

Posted · Report post

Actually, I said it is necessary, but will likely never be needed. In other words, a contingency plan for a worst case internet scenario. Personally, I think it would be exceedingly difficult to maintain a large scale cyber attack for any significant length of time.

right, i agree with that aspect of it, it's just my opinion that as such it poses more of a fundamental risk. i don't think it's necessary given that the powers would be given to the president by default. Putting it in writing only encourages misuse and expansion.

Posted · Report post

right, i agree with that aspect of it, it's just my opinion that as such it poses more of a fundamental risk. i don't think it's necessary given that the powers would be given to the president by default. Putting it in writing only encourages misuse and expansion.

In my opinion, it only lays out the ground rules for a power that the president already had. I don't see how it encourages misuse. The vague way the rules were set up before was what encouraged misuse.

Fact of the matter is that if the president had called ATT and said shut down your core routers that control internet access because we feel there is a national cyber threat, then ATT would have done it, as would any other corporation.

Posted · Report post

One right after another will fall till the people start revolting against.

Revolt?:lol::lol::lol:

Posted · Report post

He was only concerned when he perceived that Bush was doing it...The fact that the DEMS are enslaving us to big government doesn't concern him at all.

:lol::lol::lol:

Posted · Report post

In my opinion, it only lays out the ground rules for a power that the president already had. I don't see how it encourages misuse. The vague way the rules were set up before was what encouraged misuse.

Fact of the matter is that if the president had called ATT and said shut down your core routers that control internet access because we feel there is a national cyber threat, then ATT would have done it, as would any other corporation.

fair enough, I hope you're right.