Photo
- - - - -

Alright, seriously...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:18 PM

Even you libs have to admit, this guy is getting goofier by the day...

http://news.aol.com/...-weapons/412784

We don't call them terrorists any more. Now this. What's next? A human chain of hand holding around the globe, singing Obama songs?

#2 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

What's so crazy about that?

#3 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,931 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

wonderful idea.

#4 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

And the practicality of it would be....?

#5 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:46 PM

Did you read the article or just the headline?

#6 vumpler

vumpler

Camolina Panthers Crew

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

And the practicality of it would be....?

#7 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:52 PM

Declaring it "matters to all people everywhere," President Barack Obama promised on Sunday to lead the world into a nuclear-free future

Nukes are here to stay. Let's all grow up and realize that, mmkay?

#8 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:24 PM

Obama to the leaders of the world:

"We need to have a world without nukes!"

Leaders to Obama:

"Ok! Great!.............you first.

#9 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:27 PM

1. He stated it wouldn't be something that would happen anytime soon - "perhaps not in my lifetime." So he's not even obliged to take any action to make it happen.

2. It gives the US diplomatic leverage on the struggle to keep other nations from starting nuclear programs. The fundamental argument for these nations is 'you have them, why can't we?' That no longer holds.

3. It opens up the notion that US foreign policy has grown into more than putting our foot on their throats. With modern weaponry it's just not viable to say 'fug you, we'll blow you up' and expect to have a free, safe society. Take away all the nukes in the world and we're still have the most overwhelmingly powerful military in the world. We don't need nukes to kick ass.

#10 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

1. He stated it wouldn't be something that would happen anytime soon - "perhaps not in my lifetime." So he's not even obliged to take any action to make it happen.

Then what's the point? Imagine a Republican president saying "I would like to lead the world in getting rid of drugs."

2. It gives the US diplomatic leverage on the struggle to keep other nations from starting nuclear programs. The fundamental argument for these nations is 'you have them, why can't we?' That no longer holds.

In a liberal's mind, maybe.

3. It opens up the notion that US foreign policy has grown into more than putting our foot on their throats. With modern weaponry it's just not viable to say 'fug you, we'll blow you up' and expect to have a free, safe society. Take away all the nukes in the world and we're still have the most overwhelmingly powerful military in the world. We don't need nukes to kick ass.

It opens up the notion that America is softer than ever. The people who don't want to use nukes agree with Obama. The people who can't wait to get their hands on one are thinking "what an idiot...good."

#11 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:03 PM

Why must everything be liberal or conservative? Can someone not think objectively without a political motive?

For what's it's worth I'm a libertarian, I don't buy into any of the BS spewed by either party. The republicans and democrats have so much unchecked power that all they have to worry about is slandering the other party - and that's all politics is. People don't discuss issues anymore, they just pick a side and duke it out. I'll admit though, that's much easier than actually having an intelligent thought.

#12 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

Why must everything be liberal or conservative? Can someone not think objectively without a political motive?

For what's it's worth I'm a libertarian, I don't buy into any of the BS spewed by either party. The republicans and democrats have so much unchecked power that all they have to worry about is slandering the other party - and that's all politics is. People don't discuss issues anymore, they just pick a side and duke it out. I'll admit though, that's much easier than actually having an intelligent thought.

I didn't say Republican or Democrat. "Let's get rid of nukes" is a liberal rallying cry. Just like "let's get rid of drugs" or "let's get rid of radical Islam" is for conservatives. I think all of those things are naive.

I'm libertarian too, by the way.

#13 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

Sure it's naive to think we can rid the world of nukes tomorrow, but in 50/75/100 years from now it's a real possibility if dialog starts now.

And I don't see how diplomatic leverage can be anything but plain old diplomatic leverage.

#14 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

Sure it's naive to think we can rid the world of nukes tomorrow, but in 50/75/100 years from now it's a real possibility if dialog starts now.

And I don't see how diplomatic leverage can be anything but plain old diplomatic leverage.

Well I think it's simply Obama talking pie in the sky, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think nukes will ever be gone. Are guns gone? Are cannons gone? Are machine guns gone? Are conventional bombs gone? Are any weapons that have been invented gone? Of course not.

It would be nice if we could live in a world where weapons are unnecessary, especially weapons of mass destruction. But come on. The only way to make nukes obsolete is to come up with something worse.

#15 StepandFetch

StepandFetch

............chicken wire?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

....and how many multi-megaton nukes are still in the stockpile??? The man representing the nation with the most nukes tells everyone else he wants to eventually rid the world of nukes....riiiiight....

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com