Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alright, seriously...

83 posts in this topic

Posted

Sure it's naive to think we can rid the world of nukes tomorrow, but in 50/75/100 years from now it's a real possibility if dialog starts now.

And I don't see how diplomatic leverage can be anything but plain old diplomatic leverage.

Posted

Sure it's naive to think we can rid the world of nukes tomorrow, but in 50/75/100 years from now it's a real possibility if dialog starts now.

And I don't see how diplomatic leverage can be anything but plain old diplomatic leverage.

Well I think it's simply Obama talking pie in the sky, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think nukes will ever be gone. Are guns gone? Are cannons gone? Are machine guns gone? Are conventional bombs gone? Are any weapons that have been invented gone? Of course not.

It would be nice if we could live in a world where weapons are unnecessary, especially weapons of mass destruction. But come on. The only way to make nukes obsolete is to come up with something worse.

Posted

....and how many multi-megaton nukes are still in the stockpile??? The man representing the nation with the most nukes tells everyone else he wants to eventually rid the world of nukes....riiiiight....

Posted

I only say it's a possibility because nuclear weapons are so unique from conventional arms. Follow the history of guns and you see that technological advances have made them more widespread and easy to obtain. Follow that same path with nukes and you have yourself a very scary situation in the not-so-distant future. The main hurdle in producing nukes is industrial, which we all know is skyrocketing. Also, only 2 countries have a VAST majority of the nukes with a handful having the rest, so I think it's perfectly feasible that one day an agreement could be reached(I'm looking far out here).

But really, none of that matters right now. I think it was a good foreign relations move. I don't think it weakens our position because he gave no indication that he's afraid to use them and improving relations with Europe does much more to strengthen our position than some bombs.

Posted

....and how many multi-megaton nukes are still in the stockpile??? The man representing the nation with the most nukes tells everyone else he wants to eventually rid the world of nukes....riiiiight....

Every source I can see indicates Russia has more. Not that it matters, we could probably produce more faster and we're all fuged if stockpiles get low anyway.

Posted

I appreciate the sentiment, although the genie is not going back in the bottle.

Posted

i think natty makes the most sense. welcome to a new age my friends, you now have a president that uses diplomacy rather then saying my way or trade embargos.

haha cuba is such a nice place. you should go there sometime, oh wait...

Posted

Cuba could be a great new source of desperate, Communist fleeing women willing to marry American right wing message board posters who live in their mom's basements - with a lot cheaper airfare!

Posted

lol

Posted

I wants my nucular bombz!!!!

Posted

haha sorry someone beat you too it