29 replies to this topic

#16 Razzy

Razzy

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

Shootings at college don't surprise me. It's sold as the "best time of your life!" but many students find out that it can be the most miserable, stressful, depressing, and lonely times of your life.

#17 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

Shootings at college don't surprise me. It's sold as the "best time of your life!" but many students find out that it can be the most miserable, stressful, depressing, and lonely times of your life.

They recently revealed that the shooter was not a student at the University or in anyway related to VT.

http://usnews.msnbc....ocid=ansmsnbc11

But you're definitely right about the college lie. Many have a miserable experience and are left with nothing but debt and unemployment.

#18 Dingo_ate_Babies

Dingo_ate_Babies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

But you're definitely right about the college lie. Many have a miserable experience and are left with nothing but debt and unemployment.

Not unless your awesome, like me.

Had a total blast in college and landed a sweet job afterwards.

Its all about what school you went to and what you decided to do with your time once you were there.

#19 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

Not unless your awesome, like me.

Had a total blast in college and landed a sweet job afterwards.

Its all about what school you went to and what you decided to do with your time once you were there.

It's not even really what school you went to. It is more what did you do with your time and who do you know.

#20 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

yea, and it's mostly who you know.

#21 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:27 AM

And your major.

It's not a coincidence that astrophysicists have a 0.0% unemployment rate.

#22 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

And your major.

i wouldn't know, i was a philosophy major.

#23 bauss

bauss

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:02 AM

Only if you could carry guns legally on school grounds in VA...

Deter the act in fear of getting shot himself/herself or the fact even if it's a crazy that the likelihood of it going 33 deep is also not as likely.

#24 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:06 AM

He shot himself. WTF are you talking about?

#25 Dingo_ate_Babies

Dingo_ate_Babies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

It's not even really what school you went to.

I disagree, coming from my experience.

I went to Uncc for a few years with many of my highschool friends going there as well. It was lame. No campus life, hardly any events happening, people are super clicky and are douchebags, and the parties suck. Didn't land a job after graduation (very few companies wanted to hire uncc grads)

I went to VT for grad school without knowing a single soul there. Met a poo ton of cool people, partied constantly, football games were awesome, lived it up almost everyday. Had the time of my life and companies were handing me offers like hotcakes.

Whoever says school doesn't matter is only lying to themselves.

#26 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:36 PM

I have a Charlotte degree, have had 0 problems finding a job. I don't know anyone else I graduated with that are having problems either. There is a reason graduates from Charlotte have the 3rd highest starting salaries in North Carolina (Only Duke and State are higher).

Campus life was decent, but yeah, I'll admit that it won't compare with a school that has big time football going on in the fall. Most students go uptown. It is MUCH better than it was a decade ago, but it's definitely not the wildest place to party.

#27 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

And your major.

Unemployment for liberal arts majors isn't as high as you'd think. Most liberal arts majors have unemployment rates below the national average. There are a few exceptions, but there are also engineering and math exceptions with unemployment rates in the double digits.

The argument that we need to graduate more people with engineering degrees is valid to a certain point, but if we start pushing too many people into those programs, we'll end up with the same issues we have now. Too many people with the same skill set and not enough jobs available to place them all.

#28 Dingo_ate_Babies

Dingo_ate_Babies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

What field did you study?

Not sure how it is now, but I graduated from there right when the whole mortgage crisis happened and the economy completely went to poo. I just know that charlotte in general isn't good for jobs right now (not like it used to be).

#29 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

What field did you study?

Not sure how it is now, but I graduated from there right when the whole mortgage crisis happened and the economy completely went to poo. I just know that charlotte in general isn't good for jobs right now (not like it used to be).

I graduated in 09 with a History degree.

Since graduating I've worked in Marketing for a solar company in Washington DC. I quit there and now work for an internet marketing company as an analyst. I also had a brief stint with an internet marketing company (but in sales) before I left for DC.

Some of my friends left Charlotte for jobs, but even the ones that stayed have found them. Charlotte has big demand for engineers and the engineering companies around have a great relationship with the school.

#30 Dingo_ate_Babies

Dingo_ate_Babies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

sure, anyone will find a job eventually in charlotte, but 'm sure there are plenty of better ones elsewhere.

I work in DC now, and its better then anything I'd get in charlotte thats for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com