50 replies to this topic

#31 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

already have no shot at kalil. people need to get over it.

#32 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,601 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

I am not an advocate of drafting straight BPA. My philosophy would be to draft BPA based on a need. So let's say our top 3 needs are, CB/LB/DT (just for example), I would be all for drafting the best availalbe player from those 3 positions. If the best player on the board is Richardson the RB from Bama'.. there is just no way you can justify that. There has to be some limitations to the BPA philosophy.

but if you have better value with the top WR than you go there. of course Rich is a top 5 player in this draft, but the value of a RB is not as high as it used to be. even if those are our top needs if there is better value at OT or WR than those will be the pick.

#33 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,420 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

but if you have better value with the top WR than you go there. of course Rich is a top 5 player in this draft, but the value of a RB is not as high as it used to be. even if those are our top needs if there is better value at OT or WR than those will be the pick.

I agree to an extent. Let's say we have a need at WR, OT, and LB.
Let's also say that Blackmon/Reiff/Brown are on the board.
We have Blackmon rated at 8.1, Reiff at 8.0, and Brown at 8.0.

So Blackmon is the highest rated player on the board. Do you take him?
I'd think not. At that point, you have to take the player that fits the biggest need. Agree? It's not strictly BPA.. I think that would be foolish to go strictly BPA. But, there has to be a big enough gap in how you rate the people on your board. If Blackmon is far and away higher rated than any other player, then you have to take him even if it's not our top need. I am talking about a .3 difference or more. If not, you need to take the player that fills the biggest need. In this case, it would probably LB. (This is just an example, I am not condoning that we take a LB).

#34 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

If we beat the Bucs this weekend.. I hope you agree that we have no shot at Kalil.

I would agree with that.

#35 GamecockSmitty4

GamecockSmitty4

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:09 PM

I think that will depend on if we are transitioning to the 34 or not as well. If we aren't I think Zach Brown/Kirkpatrick/Barron could all be upgrades. If we are switching to 34, then Upshaw can be added to the short list.

On offense, Decastro would be the only significant upgrade (this year) in my opinion. We could bring an rookie OT in this year, but let's be realistic, Jordan Gross has not dropped off completely yet, and I doubt a rookie OT would beat our current Gross. And if Otah comes back healthy, we essentially shelfed our 1st round pick for a whole year. When you are picking in the top 10, you need to pick a guy who can come in and contribute right away, and I don't necessarily think that will be the case with an OT prospect. That's why I think OT will be our top pick next season, not this season.

I honestly don't want to touch Brown, Kirkpatrick, or Barron with a top 15 pick. That's just my opinion. Brown is good, but a bit overrated, IMO. Plus, OLB is not a big need with the (potential) emergence of Senn. Kirkpatrick has never impressed me. I watch a LOT of Bama football and I have never been impressed. He is good at run support but would be a liability in coverage (for instance...watch him vs Alshon from last year. Alshon abused him all game long and beat Dre physically...which is supposed to be his game). Barron just has never impressed me at all. He's solid, but I'm not sure he would be an upgrade over Martin.

As far as the Reiff thing goes...in all honesty, NO rookies should be starting on the OL without a big emergency (like this year with Otah/Bell). The best thing for a rookie would be to learn his first year and pick up some garbage time snaps. IIRC, Otah has one year left on his contract and that could work perfectly. Give Otah one more year to prove himself to be a dominant OT and at the end of the year decide what you want to do. Not to mention that you have Reiff if Gross or Otah goes down. At the end of the year you either get rid of Otah if he doesn't show up or figure what you want to do if he does. Best case scenario you have 3 quality OT's and could possibly (if any are willing/capable) move one inside and have a nasty OL.

#36 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:27 AM

I'd like Claiborne, and getting him is FAR more likely than Kalil.

#37 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,889 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:34 AM

We are out of the running for the top 5 marquee picks.

Luck
Barkley
Blackmon
Kalil
Claiborne

will all be gone by the time we pick at 10/11.

Christmas list wishing will not help. What we pick at 10 will not be a great deal better than could be had at 15-20, and nobody will want to trade with us. It is what it is.

We feel all better about winning against 2nd and 3rd stringers the last couple of weeks but what you get is no idea what your own second and third stringers can do, but also good and not great picks in the draft. It is a trade off.

#38 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

how do we end up 10 or 11? we'll beat the bucs, but I doubt we win at NO with them trying to get the bye week. So 6 wins.

#39 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,889 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

KC is currently picking 12th with 6 wins

#40 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

damn. didn't realize the standings were so close at the bottom. just looked and our current pick is 9th.

#41 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,601 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

I agree to an extent. Let's say we have a need at WR, OT, and LB.
Let's also say that Blackmon/Reiff/Brown are on the board.
We have Blackmon rated at 8.1, Reiff at 8.0, and Brown at 8.0.

So Blackmon is the highest rated player on the board. Do you take him?
I'd think not. At that point, you have to take the player that fits the biggest need. Agree? It's not strictly BPA.. I think that would be foolish to go strictly BPA. But, there has to be a big enough gap in how you rate the people on your board. If Blackmon is far and away higher rated than any other player, then you have to take him even if it's not our top need. I am talking about a .3 difference or more. If not, you need to take the player that fills the biggest need. In this case, it would probably LB. (This is just an example, I am not condoning that we take a LB).

yes or the OT Reiff because of the value. you dont want to draft for biggest need than you will begin to reach for players, but you just dont want to draft bpa either as well. who ever fits the best i guess and out of those 3 i would say the WR or OT do. also you want to look at the drop off from 2nd round to 1st. is their a huge drop off from a top 10 OT compared to 2nd rounder? is their a huge drop off from Brown compared to Lewis or David who could be had in the 2nd?

#42 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:03 AM

I think Alshon Jeffrey might become an option if we are picking down at #10. Not that I think we should take him.. but that is about the area he will be taken.

I don't think he would be a bad pick at all if Claiborne is off the board. I could see Claiborne slipping to 8, which would be great.

#43 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,420 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

I don't think he would be a bad pick at all if Claiborne is off the board. I could see Claiborne slipping to 8, which would be great.

If he lives up to his potential, I think his size and hands make him just about indefensible in the red zone.. we could use someone like that. Also, being the huge target that he is, Cam can throw it up to him on emergency plays and make Jeffrey a security blanket for Cam.

I don't know about Jeffrey's work ethic though.. doany Gamecock fans have any insight on that? And why are Jeffrey's stats dropped off so much this year? Garcia played the first 5 games of the season and Jeffery looked like nothing special. The same guy was throwing to him the previous season, so what gives? Jeffery has looked borderline terrible lately. I would be extremely skeptical taking him with a top pick.

#44 GamecockSmitty4

GamecockSmitty4

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

If he lives up to his potential, I think his size and hands make him just about indefensible in the red zone.. we could use someone like that. Also, being the huge target that he is, Cam can throw it up to him on emergency plays and make Jeffrey a security blanket for Cam.

I don't know about Jeffrey's work ethic though.. doany Gamecock fans have any insight on that? And why are Jeffrey's stats dropped off so much this year? Garcia played the first 5 games of the season and Jeffery looked like nothing special. The same guy was throwing to him the previous season, so what gives? Jeffery has looked borderline terrible lately. I would be extremely skeptical taking him with a top pick.

Garcia has a TERRIBLE work ethic. He was the main reason for the Gamecocks loss in the bowl game against Florida State because of the crap he pulled the night before the game. Simply, he did nothing over the offseason and showed up this season terribly. It wasn't even a question, he was the worst QB in D1 football before he was kicked off the team.

As far as Jeffery's character goes, he is a great one. In his three years, you haven't even heard a peep out of him. He is a leader on the field and a great team player. After Lattimore went down teams figured that the only legitimate threat was Jeffery so they started putting a CB on him and a S right over top of him. When I say they put a safety over top, I don't mean that they let a safety cheat to his side... I mean there was literally a safety standing 5-10 yards behind the CB and following Jeffery.

After this happened, some media members started talking about how Alshon was disgruntled but Alshon and the coached quickly put that to rest. Alshon said he didn't mind not getting the ball much as long as his team was winning.

As far as his work ethic goes, he's right up there with some of the best. The only concerns anyone has had has been his "weight problem". This was started with a couple pictures posted on the internet that made him look like he had a gut. Unfortunately for trolls/Clemson fans, Alshon put that crap to rest as well. Alshon may not be the most fit guy but he has no weight issue to speak of.

In summary, Alshon is just as great of a prospect off the field as he is on the field.

#45 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,420 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

Garcia has a TERRIBLE work ethic. He was the main reason for the Gamecocks loss in the bowl game against Florida State because of the crap he pulled the night before the game. Simply, he did nothing over the offseason and showed up this season terribly. It wasn't even a question, he was the worst QB in D1 football before he was kicked off the team.

As far as Jeffery's character goes, he is a great one. In his three years, you haven't even heard a peep out of him. He is a leader on the field and a great team player. After Lattimore went down teams figured that the only legitimate threat was Jeffery so they started putting a CB on him and a S right over top of him. When I say they put a safety over top, I don't mean that they let a safety cheat to his side... I mean there was literally a safety standing 5-10 yards behind the CB and following Jeffery.
After this happened, some media members started talking about how Alshon was disgruntled but Alshon and the coached quickly put that to rest. Alshon said he didn't mind not getting the ball much as long as his team was winning.

As far as his work ethic goes, he's right up there with some of the best. The only concerns anyone has had has been his "weight problem". This was started with a couple pictures posted on the internet that made him look like he had a gut. Unfortunately for trolls/Clemson fans, Alshon put that crap to rest as well. Alshon may not be the most fit guy but he has no weight issue to speak of.

In summary, Alshon is just as great of a prospect off the field as he is on the field.

I did a little research and went to a gamecocks fan forum. They said that Alshon usually comes in to camp about 10lbs over weight, but loses it in the first 4 weeks and is in football shape by the beginning of the season. To me, that sounds like a lack of dedication. You'd like a guy to stay in shape through the offseason and not let himself go.. but you were right about his character.. he seems to be pretty spotless. He might be a guy who trys to get away with his superior athletic ability.. almost reminds me of Dwayne Jarrett. Hope I am wrong about him, if that's the direction we head.

Edited by Lout, 21 December 2011 - 12:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com