Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

Posted Image

#62 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,101 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

When "Santa" gets you pregnant, it is indeed no longer funny.

#63 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

As an atheist, I'm highly offended by this thread and everyone in it.

#64 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,101 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

As an agnostic, it's all pretty irrelevant to me.

#65 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

As a Christian, I am better than you.

#66 Tarheel31

Tarheel31

cynical pessimist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

As a Christian, I am better than you.

At least every Sunday, for about an hour, after the slate is wiped clean.

#67 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,527 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

Honestly I've never had one person get angry at me when I say Merry Christmas nor have I ever heard one person get mad at someone else. The only animosity I've ever been given is when I say Happy Holidays. Seems like it's a bigger deal to the "Jesus is the Reason for the Season" people than anyone.

#68 charlotte49er

charlotte49er

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationCharlotte-Mint HIll, NC

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

i think it'd be pretty cool growing up as the supposed son of god. i see no negatives

I think he would be teased by all his friends.

His friends would be like, "So, being the Son of God, do you get everything you want for your Birthday?"

Jesus, "No. I wanted a 6 horse chariot, but Dad said I was only get a 2 horse one. He said that I had to learn how to be humble and all. But on the upside. I can feel the wind in my long now now!"

His Friends, "Bitchin, Dude!"

#69 charlotte49er

charlotte49er

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationCharlotte-Mint HIll, NC

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

5 pages...and atheists are still annoyed

Screw Madeline Murray! (I don't mean that literally!)

She said she was going to sue NASA and the federal Government because one of the astronauts read from the Book of Genesis (And I don't mean Phil Collins) over Christmas from Apollo 8!

What do atheists say when you sneeze?

#70 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,717 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

Just wondering if there is any other word in our language who has had an X substituted for the actual word? Especially one dealing with religion? X Kippur? RamaX? KwanX?

Actually, there is only one religious holiday that has had an X placed over the person who is the whole point to the religion. And the the religious bigotry is embraced wholeheartedly by the open minded, tolerant crowd here and throughout our society.

I am not personally offended like a Muslim would be and looking to kill someone over it, I think my God is perfectly big enough to take care of himself. I just find it odd and wanted to call a spade a spade.

Merry Christmas

Edited by stirs, 20 December 2011 - 07:13 PM.

#71 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:32 PM

Just wondering if there is any other word in our language who has had an X substituted for the actual word? Especially one dealing with religion? X Kippur? RamaX? KwanX?

Actually, there is only one religious holiday that has had an X placed over the person who is the whole point to the religion. And the the religious bigotry is embraced wholeheartedly by the open minded, tolerant crowd here and throughout our society.

I am not personally offended like a Muslim would be and looking to kill someone over it, I think my God is perfectly big enough to take care of himself. I just find it odd and wanted to call a spade a spade.

Merry Christmas

Posted Image

#72 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:56 PM

Merry Christmas

Oh no, he's on to our plan guys!! Its only a matter of time before he exposes this great atheist conspiracy to the rest of the world!
Posted Image

#73 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,101 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

As usual, you are completely, utterly wrong.

http://en.wikipedia....or_.22Christ.22

The abbreviation of Christmas as "Xmas" is the source of disagreement among Christians who observe the holiday. Dennis Bratcher, writing for a website for Christians, states "there are always those who loudly decry the use of the abbreviation 'Xmas' as some kind of blasphemy against Christ and Christianity".[15] Among them are evangelist Franklin Graham and CNN journalist Roland S. Martin. Graham stated in an interview:

for us as Christians, this is one of the most holy of the holidays, the birth of our savior Jesus Christ. And for people to take Christ out of Christmas. They're happy to say merry Xmas. Let's just take Jesus out. And really, I think, a war against the name of Jesus Christ.[16]

Martin likewise relates the use of "Xmas" to his growing concerns of increasing commercialization and secularization of one of Christianity's highest holy days.[17] Bratcher posits that those who dislike abbreviating the word are unfamiliar with a long history of Christians using X in place of "Christ" for various purposes.

The word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated in English for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "XP" or "Xt"; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as AD 1021. This X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters χ and ρ used in ancient abbreviations for Χριστος (Greek for "Christ"),[2] and are still widely seen in many Eastern Orthodox icons depicting Jesus Christ. The labarum, an amalgamation of the two Greek letters rendered as ☧, is a symbol often used to represent Christ in Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox Christian Churches.[18]

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) and the OED Supplement have cited usages of "X-" or "Xp-" for "Christ-" as early as 1485. The terms "Xpian" and "Xtian" have also been used for "Christian". The dictionary further cites usage of "Xtianity" for "Christianity" from 1634.[2] According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage, most of the evidence for these words comes from "educated Englishmen who knew their Greek".[11]

In ancient Christian art, χ and χρ are abbreviations for Christ's name.[19] In many manuscripts of the New Testament and icons, Χ is an abbreviation for Χριστος[citation needed], as is XC (the first and last letters in Greek, using the lunate sigma);[20] compare IC for Jesus in Greek.

[edit] Other uses of "X" for "Chris-"

Other proper names containing the name "Christ" besides those mentioned above are sometimes abbreviated similarly (e.g. Xtina for the name "Christina"). This usage of "X" to spell the syllable "kris" (rather than the sounds "ks") has extended to "xtal" for "crystal", and on florists' signs to "xant" for "chrysanthemum",[21] even though these words are not etymologically related to "Christ": "crystal" comes from a Greek word meaning "ice", and "chrysanthemum" comes from Greek words meaning "golden flower" (while "Christ" comes from a Greek word meaning "anointed").

In the 17th and 18th centuries, "Xene" and "Exene" were common spellings for the given name Christine. The American singer Christina Aguilera has sometimes gone by the name "Xtina" (the "t" should not be considered redundant; as is noted above, "Christ" was historically often shortened to "Xt", not just to X).[22]

#74 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

Oh no, he's on to our plan guys!! Its only a matter of time before he exposes this great atheist conspiracy to the rest of the world!
Posted Image

I've found this board to have more evangelical atheists than evangelical christians.

#75 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,101 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

Really? Who has tried to convert you?

You do understand the meaning of the word "evangelical" don't you?

Wait that was a rhetorical question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com