Photo
- - - - -

Coach Rivera said we're missing a scat back..

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#76 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

So we have no link to any sort of quote?...sorry, I'm old school, somebody has to actually have been attributed to a direct quote before I believe it....Crappy OP, IMO...

We all heard it during the game.

#77 Woodie

Woodie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

Joe Adams from Arkansas might fit the bill, despite not being a RB. He's a shifty receiver that is also a great returner and may be available in the 4th round. After all, anyone we would get to play that scatback role will be in there mainly for the passing game anyway, so I don't think it has to necessarily be a RB. Regardless, whoever it would be, he also needs to be a good return man.

#78 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,535 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

I realize what a scat back is. But he is no Darren Sproles. You think Rainey has been good at UF, Sproles was a beast at KSU. At least Sproles has some physicality. All I am saying is that Rainey doesn't seem like a NFL Player to me.

gotcha.. I can never be sure, I've heard less uneducated things around here.. the dude looks like he has some incredible elusiveness, but I haven't watched his games.. I'll take your word for it.

#79 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

gotcha.. I can never be sure, I've heard less uneducated things around here.. the dude looks like he has some incredible elusiveness, but I haven't watched his games.. I'll take your word for it.

He does have great moves and elusiveness, that is true. As you can see, speed as well. There just seems to be something missing that does't make me confident in picking him. I think it's the lack of physicalness. He doesn't seem to want contact and that's why you'll see him run sideways until there is a hole where he is free. In open space he is good, don't get me wrong. But that's not always going to happen in the NFL.

He could turn out to be a good "scat back" but I am not sure it's worth it. Give him a shot at UDFA but don't draft him is my view.

#80 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

I can't see Rainey succeeding all that well in the NFL. I have watched basically every game of his while at UF. He has a great juke and spin move but he just isn't physical enough for me. He loves to run sideways until (if) he sees an opening to run north-south. He wouldn't be much of a RB but more of a receiver out of the backfield.

If the front office wants someone like that, then fine. But I wouldn't draft him til the 6th round on.

You apparently do not understand what a scat back is and what their purpose is.

They are used like Sproles.....dangerous in the open field.

#81 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,394 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

Goodson's a little too tall to be considered a true scatback type.

They tend to be smaller guys.

#82 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

Whatever speed Goodson has doesn't seem to show up at game time.

#83 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,535 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

Whatever speed Goodson has doesn't seem to show up at game time.

running the ball or returning? there may be a reason for the returning if he's hesitating..

he's already proven to be a quality RB, but fumbling has kept him off the field..

#84 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

I can't believe people are actually taking this seriously.

#85 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

running the ball or returning? there may be a reason for the returning if he's hesitating..

he's already proven to be a quality RB, but fumbling has kept him off the field..

Either, just doesn't seem to have "it".

The real problem is whatever has turned Rivera off about him. Whatever it is.

I can't believe people are actually taking this seriously.

Of all the dumb stuff that people take seriously here, this one is actually somewhat interesting.

#86 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,535 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

The real problem is whatever has turned Rivera off about him. Whatever it is.

Of all the dumb stuff that people take seriously here, this one is actually somewhat interesting.

go back and see what he's done as a starter.. the dude is a solid RB. unfortunately, he can't hang onto the ball.

#87 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

interesting to the point of debate? yes. worthy of taking serious? no

#88 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,394 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

interesting to the point of debate? yes. worthy of taking serious? no

Disagree.

We don't have a true "change of pace" back on roster right now. Neither do we have a dangerous punt returner.

Both of those things would be very useful to have, and could be had in a single player.

#89 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

Disagree.

We don't have a true "change of pace" back on roster right now. Neither do we have a dangerous punt returner.

Both of those things would be very useful to have, and could be had in a single player.

I agree with your points here and I think it would be nice to have a change of pace back but I think there are about 5 things we need on D way before this. Plus a change of pace back, while great, isn't great enough to crack the carries of the primary two backs who don't get enough carries as it is. Waste of time IMO.

#90 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,302 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

I agree with your points here and I think it would be nice to have a change of pace back but I think there are about 5 things we need on D way before this. Plus a change of pace back, while great, isn't great enough to crack the carries of the primary two backs who don't get enough carries as it is. Waste of time IMO.

no one is forcing you to take part in the conversation and it most certainly isn't doing any harm.

a scat back like rivera is talking about (and i don't think this is something he is talking out of his ass about) isn't something you would have to give up a lot for.

are there 5 things we need on defense before we start adding a scat back? yep...but it doesn't hurt to talk about it and it doesn't have to be something that takes much attention at all from improving the defense. we are talking about a player we will most likely take no earlier than the 5th round, but probably 6th or 7th round or even udfa.

no one is considering it a priority. just another dimension to possibly add at some point to make the offense more potent than it already is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com