61 replies to this topic

#1 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

So, as most of you old huddlers know, my dog's name is dimbee. I've had him since he was 6 weeks old. He is now 13 years old. He's a german shepherd/chow mix. He and I have been through so much together, it's not even able to be put into words what he means to me. He's been my companion and friend through so many hard time when I had no one else. He was there yelping and wagging his tail like crazy when I got out of the hospital after 3 weeks. He has always been such a soul companion, it's hard to put into worda. I know there are many here that understand. The last little while, he has gotten, more "grumpy" and I've chalked it up to him getting old. Well, tonight, he didn't want to get in his bed and when I forcefully told him to get I his bed with a stern finger pointed, he bit me. Its a pretty deep bite and drew a lot of blood. Just on my index finger. Now I'm beat up. I feel so bad, like it was my fault or something. (He has all of his shots, for anyone wondering) I've never experienced anything like this. I feel betrayed be him but I also feel like somehow I caused it. I know his breeds have that possibility in him. But, still, he's my dog and we've been through so much together. I don't know what to do now. My fiancé and I are going to get married and plan to have kids. I didn't have a worry in the world about him until now. I'm heartbroken more than anything. This hurts.

#2 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,475 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

My neighbor went through this with dog a few years back. She (the dog) was sick though. I think it was her leg, she go under a bed or somewhere alone and growl at anyone that came near her. I remember her (my neighbor) calling me to help her bring the dog out of the rain because she wouldn't come in. She just stood out there getting soaked. I finally lured her in, she didn't attack, but my neighbor had to put her down. I was there with her when she had it done and it was really really tough for her. Very sad to lose a pet you're close to.

As far as your situation idk. My neighbor took her dog to the vet several times during her down phase and there was nothing they could do for her really.

#3 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,626 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

something might be bothering him (ie he's got some pain somewhere). Maybe take him to the vet and get him checked out?

#4 LifeisaGarden

LifeisaGarden

Bitchassness

• HUDDLER
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

Has he been checked by a vet lately. He could have something going on other than just old age. Maybe feeling some pain related to arthritis or something. I'm sorry he bit you. I wish I could say something to make you feel better about it. :/

#5 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,475 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

Arthritis was it!! couldn't remember what it was, but that was exactly what was wrong.

#6 jb_online

jb_online

Nag, Nag, Nag

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

I think the above posters are on to something... timid dogs will be aggressive when they feel vulnerable, like when they have an unusual ailment. Hopefully it is something that a vet can help you with.

#7 Hugor Hill

Hugor Hill

It's not easy being drunk all the time

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

put lots of hot sauce in his next meal. that'll teach him. :jc:

my dog did this to me awhile back, it ended up being that she had swallowed some tissue paper and it was stuck in her intestines and had to be surgically removed. The dog prob has something wrong with it.

#8 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

damn sorry to hear it man. I know its got to suck.

As has been suggested, take him in to see the doc and make sure everything is ok before you make any decisions you cant take back.

Ill be sending out some good vibes for you both.

#9 Boner Champ

Boner Champ

Future Training Camp MVP

• HUDDLER
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

Ughhh that sucks man. My dog is starting to act weird, he's a 4 yr old black lab. Sometimes when he is laying down on his bed and we ask him to get up and he growls. Makes me nervous cause we got a 2 month old....

#10 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

Sell it, Jerry

• HUDDLER
  • 9,422 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

It can happen with old dogs. No big deal. I mean, damn, he's 91. Old farts can get testy. If it starts happening a lot, then worry.

#11 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 10,227 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

You still might want to get your finger checked out, dog bites can cause serious infection. Sorry to hear about the situation, it's amazing how much my dogs mean to me and I can't imagine what you are going through.

#12 LifeisaGarden

LifeisaGarden

Bitchassness

• HUDDLER
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

Ughhh that sucks man. My dog is starting to act weird, he's a 4 yr old black lab. Sometimes when he is laying down on his bed and we ask him to get up and he growls. Makes me nervous cause we got a 2 month old....

That sounds somewhat like resource guarding.

#13 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,395 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

All dogs will have a day or two where they lose it. Probably not a big deal unless he does it again but as others said it may be a good idea to take him to the vet. My ex's dog tried to attack her one night (multiple times) for no reason and the next day (and since then) has been perfectly fine. Dogs can just be weird sometimes.

#14 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,218 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

Hate to hear stories like this :(

Best dog I ever had got grouchy when he was older too, but never to the point of biting anyone.

Best hope is that it's just an isolated incident.

#15 charlotte49er

charlotte49er

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationCharlotte-Mint HIll, NC

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

Has he been checked by a vet lately. He could have something going on other than just old age. Maybe feeling some pain related to arthritis or something. I'm sorry he bit you. I wish I could say something to make you feel better about it. :/

That could be it.

I was petting my big Collie one day. He growled at me and snapped. Then was all sorry that he did that. We took him to the Vet and turned out he had arthritis in his hip. My Mom gave him an aspirin a day in hamburger, and it helped him get around. (He lasted another year and a half before we finally had to put him down.) :cryin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com