Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fair tax

44 posts in this topic

Posted

The issue is that the poor spend almost all of their income on things that would be taxed, while the rich invest and hide away their money. Thus, it can be argued that a sales tax disproportionately favors the rich. You can see an indirect proof of this by the fact that more conservatives favor this method, as it "makes the freeloaders pay their share" in their minds.

mmmmmhm

Posted

oan8na.jpg

Link?

Posted

what about with prebates for lower income?

Posted

or downright exemption. Wouldn't be hard.

Posted

Ahhhh the prebates.

Let's do away with those archaic impossible to understand tax laws so we can replace them with archaic impossible to understand prebate laws.

Posted

hell, prebate for everyone actually.

Posted

ive seen a couple of those that offer tax breaks per child, but would that simply do the same thing those on the right claim welfare checks do? encourage the poor to get pregnant?

also ive heard mentioned that certain "life necessities" would go untaxed but of course have never heard what those are and judging from the history of the wealthy in the united states it wouldn't be long until yachts and golf clubs and stag parties in the dominican rested on the same level as cucumbers.

Ahhhh the prebates.

Let's do away with those archaic impossible to understand tax laws so we can replace them with archaic impossible to understand prebate laws.

also this

Posted

...judging from the history of the wealthy in the united states it wouldn't be long until yachts and golf clubs and stag parties in the dominican rested on the same level as cucumbers.

I don't know about yachts and stag parties but golf clubs are DEFINITELY a "life necessity." So we should all get prebates on them.

Posted

I don't know about yachts and stag parties but golf clubs are DEFINITELY a "life necessity." So we should all get prebates on them.

actually let me take that a step further.

it wouldn't be long at all until a yacht construction firm funded "public health research institute" released the abstract of what we'd be assured was a well researched, honest, fair, and scientific evaluation deciding once and for all that milk was not a necessity, but a luxury, and it shouldn't be excluded. furthermore, milk in the poorer neighborhoods, due to how much better it typically is than the food the citizens are most likely to get, is actually a luxury, and if you subsist on mostly tuna and dirty city water, you should be more than willing to pay a little extra for that milk.

at the same time, after receiving funding from the same yacht construction firm, cato or the heritage foundation would release a "ground breaking" analysis that talks about all the economic good done by the construction of yacts, how they employ tons of people (only ammrrrrcans), how the therapeutic affects of son bathing in the Mediterranean can lead to longer life, and how since they are quite obviously a necessity they shouldn't be taxed at all.

Posted

I understand it benefits the rich more than the poor, but there are other ways to ensure poor people have a fair shot. Taxes aren't the only way.

No matter what the rich will ALWAYS have an advantage and there's nothing the gov can(or arguably should) do about it. Any tax system will benefit those that have the resources and knowledge to work it. So I don't really buy that argument. Sure, it's a concern but not a deal breaker imo.

Posted

but there are other ways to ensure poor people have a fair shot.

okay walk me through the process

Posted

also ive heard mentioned that certain "life necessities" would go untaxed but of course have never heard what those are and judging from the history of the wealthy in the united states it wouldn't be long until yachts and golf clubs and stag parties in the dominican rested on the same level as cucumbers.

I've been in line at the store quite a few times behind people who were paying with food stamps and I always marveled at what things they considered 'necessities' when they were spending OPM. Like steaks for example.