49 replies to this topic

#16 GamecockSmitty4

GamecockSmitty4

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

Can he sack a QB?

10 times in 2011 (with 2 INTs while also fighting off a foot injury for half of the season) and 9 in 2010 as a first year starter.

#17 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

While I think Ingram is a fantastic player.. I have my reservations about taking 6'2" DEs. The only short DE in the league that is very effective has been Freeney.. and he has always been a liability in the run game.

#18 GamecockSmitty4

GamecockSmitty4

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

Charles Johnson is 6'2".

Plus, Ingram will probably be a rush LB who can put a hand down every once in a while, a hybrid similar to the role he played at USC.

#19 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Yes please.

#20 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

Yes please.

toats mcgoats

People are forgetting about him with all the Jenkins, Kirk, & Claiborne hype

A game changer and that kid suits up like Wilson at school. Stud.

Reminds me a lot of like Brandon Flowers...miles ahead of a Macho Harris

#21 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

Charles Johnson is 6'2".

Plus, Ingram will probably be a rush LB who can put a hand down every once in a while, a hybrid similar to the role he played at USC.

Wow.. I thought he was 6'3" this whole time. That changes my perspective a bit. I would still rather have a bigger DE, but I would be open to Ingram if he can hold his own against the run to go along with his pass rush.

toats mcgoats

People are forgetting about him with all the Jenkins, Kirk, & Claiborne hype

A game changer and that kid suits up like Wilson at school. Stud.

Reminds me a lot of like Brandon Flowers...miles ahead of a Macho Harris

Chase Minnifield is being forgotten as well. He wasn't invited to the senior bowl because he had a minor knee surgery just before Virginia's bowl game to clear up some floating cartildge. I'd love either player.

Edited by Lout, 26 January 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#22 GamecockSmitty4

GamecockSmitty4

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

^^^
Wow. No need to be a dick about it. What's the deal with people on this board not being able to make a legitimate point and defend their position? Anyways...

I was making a point that Freeney is not the only "undersized" DE who can hold their own in the NFL. Charles Johnson seemed to be an appropriate counter to that argument because he plays for the Carolina Panthers...you know...the team that this message board is about. My next point was that he is not necessarily going to be a DE in the NFL. He can get looks at OLB and possibly move inside on 3rd and longs, similar to what he did (and excelled at) in Columbia.

#23 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

^^^
Wow. No need to be a dick about it. What's the deal with people on this board not being able to make a legitimate point and defend their position? Anyways...

I was making a point that Freeney is not the only "undersized" DE who can hold their own in the NFL. Charles Johnson seemed to be an appropriate counter to that argument because he plays for the Carolina Panthers...you know...the team that this message board is about. My next point was that he is not necessarily going to be a DE in the NFL. He can get looks at OLB and possibly move inside on 3rd and longs, similar to what he did (and excelled at) in Columbia.

Dude.. I really thought CJ was 6'3", I was praising you for telling me otherwise. Chill. I had absolutely no sarcasm in my post.

#24 GamecockSmitty4

GamecockSmitty4

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

Dude.. I really thought CJ was 6'3", I was praising you for telling me otherwise. Chill. I had absolutely no sarcasm in my post.

If that's true then I apologize. I assumed it was sarcasm because I don't think there's much difference between 6'2" and 6'3".

#25 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

If that's true then I apologize. I assumed it was sarcasm because I don't think there's much difference between 6'2" and 6'3".

I can see why you think that, but I was being serious. I can name several 6'3" DE's but not many successful DEs 6'2" or under.. that seems to be a cutoff point.

#26 kdrh5

kdrh5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

I love the fact that it seems we have many options now at 8 or 9 when it didn't seem that way a few weeks ago....then it seemed like we might have to take Kirkpatrick since there were no defensive lineman worth the spot. Now there may be two elite linemen, along with a better corner. Honesty, I'd rather stay in the top ten, then wait until the second round to trade down and acquire pics.

#27 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

About some of my mentions in more detail:

FLETCHER COX
6'4 295 DT (3 & 5 technique)/DE Miss St.

quick takes from the man himself:

If Cox either falls to us in the second or legit rises through workouts, I'd seriously want him if Reiff/Upshaw/Brockers are gone at 8/9. He played a great game against the Bama o-line this year.

Yep, he can play the 3 & 5 technique and won SEC Defensive player of the week 3 games of the year in a row. I like his attitude and mentality that comes across in his interviews. Just for a different perspective other than those perrty highlight vids but here's one anyway:

We can move him inside and outside on the line methinks

"I wanted to be one of the great defensive linemen in the SEC and that's what I did," -Cox

He's immensely overlooked

Edited by Beach, 26 January 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#28 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

While I think Ingram is a fantastic player.. I have my reservations about taking 6'2" DEs. The only short DE in the league that is very effective has been Freeney.. and he has always been a liability in the run game.

Elvis Dumervil is only 5"11

#29 Clicheking

Clicheking

Mack of the year

• HUDDLER
  • 2,973 posts
  • Location910

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

I guarantee that Melvin Ingram is going to climb the draft boards after the Senior Bowl, Combine, and Pro Day. He is one of the most athletic freaks I have ever witnessed. Some of his feats as a 6'2" 275 lb OLB/DL:

-Can throw a football 60+ yards
-Can do a standing backflip
-Can run a fake punt 68 yards for a TD

I was about to say what the uck those that have to do with playing DE, than I say that you were a "little carolina" fan.

#30 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

oh and to add about Cox:

14.5 tackles for loss and five sacks. He also had 56 tackles, two blocked kicks, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery that he returned for 52 yards...in the SEC

He has merited double teams his entire collegiate career but his counter to those were probably his biggest weakness. It's pretty good when when they have already double teamed the guy when he shows some miscues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.