57 replies to this topic

#31 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

christie doesn't give a f*ck... people like that.

#32 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

This guy is better than that guy.

No that guy is better than this guy.

#33 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Image matters.

The national media will pick him apart if he still looks like he does now when he runs for president.

#34 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,734 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

"America should stand by its friends and its democratic allies, even, and sometimes especially, when it's unpopular to do so," Christie said, outlining his foreign policy vision. "And you know I know, that it may not be fashionable in some of the chancelleries, the foreign ministries, and salons around the world to talk about why America stands with Israel - but that's no excuse not to be saying, and saying it loudly."

Christie continued: "I read a quote from President Franklin Roosevelt which has thought made this point much better than I ever could. He says, 'Please judge me by the enemies I have made.' In that same spirit, I would like to say to all of you tonight: I admire Israel for the enemies it has made."

The New Jersey governor went on to explain that Israel's enemies are America's, and that the two countries share important values. "We both believe in self-government, we both believe in democracy, and unalienable rights," Christie said. "From what I understand, the Knesset and Israel's free, vibrant news media make Trenton seems like a cordial and sleepy atmosphere. You'll find that hard to believe, if I say so myself."

On Iran, the New Jersey governor warned how dangerous it is to allow Iran to acquire nuclear capability. "Both Americans and Israelis believe - we know deep in our bones - that if the Islamic Republic of Iran acquires a nuclear weapons capability, it will be an existential threat to Israel, to America, and to world civilization itself." Christie warned President Obama he would be directly responsible if this happens. "I believe, like you, that stopping Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons capability must be a top priority of the United States of America. Any president, Republican or Democrat, who allows such a thing to occur on his watch, would be acting in a way that is profoundly against the national security interests of the United States and the security interests of our friends in Israel."

"It's only by speaking the truth boldly, or by speaking the truth to power that we will prevent this from happening," Christie continued, explaining his stark warning to the president. "It is only by decisive action by leaders who truly understand that a threat to Israel is a threat to America. A threat to the Israeli way of life is a threat to the American way of life. Not only for here in America, but for all the nations that emulate our democracy or are trying to emulate our democracy around the world."

http://www.weeklysta...ade_626437.html

#35 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

ok?

i didn't say i was pushing christie.

#36 davos

davos

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,982 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

The whole Rubio & Christie deal I brought up has more to do with a certain mindset that's apparently embedded within that party atm. They seem to want a guy that can become their Obama under the Republican projection...and there's a group of guys on the surface (important) that fit this mold without looking batsh*t crazy most of the time in the likes of Christie, Mitch Daniels, and Rubio.

I find it funny that they always criticize the other crap side by saying they think of Obama as a savior when its obvious they are desperately looking for one themselves. The attributes that now surround the party completely turn me off and it sucks because the Dems are the same. After Bush, they had the opportunity to completely change their image yet they doubled down on everything that has made independents and centrists tune out. Its just all negativity x200000000, anger, and frustration amplified.

To top it off they clearly don't even know the people they are trying to win votes for. They just completely misinterpret their own population which is as funny as is sad. Same with the Dems and their respective positions. Neither side is fooling anyone anymore.

That's why numbers are down in many states for voting. This crowd that they think they are catering doesn't exist at the level they think it does. If they get Santorum they lose plain and simple. There goes the women vote, the latinos, and the more socially open minded side of their party. They really want to lose.

#37 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,766 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

The attributes that now surround the party completely turn me off and it sucks because the Dems are the same. After Bush, they had the opportunity to completely change their image yet they doubled down on everything that has made independents and centrists tune out. Its just all negativity x200000000, anger, and frustration amplified.

To top it off they clearly don't even know the people they are trying to win votes for. They just completely misinterpret their own population which is as funny as is sad. Same with the Dems and their respective positions. Neither side is fooling anyone anymore.

That's why numbers are down in many states for voting. This crowd that they think they are catering doesn't exist at the level they think it does. If they get Santorum they lose plain and simple. There goes the women vote, the latinos, and the more socially open minded side of their party. They really want to lose.

I think you are right on pretty much all counts. It's funny, because the general idea of limited, largely hands-off government, particularly at the federal level is something that appeals to me at a base level. Yet the social push the party has taken has turned me off so thoroughly, along with some of the realities of American society, that I have really been voting consistently more Democrat than I actually feel I am. I may agree with Obama on more issues than the current crop of Republicans, but I certainly am not happy with him.

The reality is I'd still rather have Obama than Santorum, just because he frightens me so much. No, Obama isn't even close to perfect, but Santorum scares the poo out of me. Even if I like to think he wouldn't actually enforce the batpoo crazy ideas he has, I don't want to risk it.

I know many voters in their early to mid twenties are attracted to a lot of the "ideals" that are portrayed as the foundation of the Republican party, but the reality of what the party has become, and it's national figures, really drives moderate people away. In many ways, the Dems do too, but I don't think they do in quite the same way.

#38 Grammer

Grammer

Troll. Ignore Me.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

Posted Image

#39 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

Geez, who made that map? Texas going blue? Can't see any circumstance where that happens. Don't see much of a chance for NC and Georgia going for Obama. HE barely won NC last time, and had much more favorable ratings. But I do agree that overall, things are looking good for Obama right now. Regardless of who wins the nomination. Romney might have a slight chance, but none of the others have much of a shot at all.

Texas has a better shot at going blue than most people think. I seriously doubt it'll happen this time, but by 2016 I can see Texas being a swing state and by 2020/2024 it could go blue. I see it as similar to what's happened in Virginia/Colorado where population shifting has new, more liberal voters moving in and putting the state in play.

If Santorum wins the nomination and the economy keeps improving... Obama right now isn't trailing by THAT much in Texas. I saw a poll in December with him leading Rick Perry in Texas by 2 points and Gingrich by 4. If Santorum is the nominee and runs a poor campaign, picks a poor running mate, and the economy keeps getting better, it wouldn't be a HUGE shock to see Obama win Texas.

#40 SamTheRam

SamTheRam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:23 AM

Posted Image

Damn that's scary.

But what we need here is perspective. November is still a long way away. Not sure why we have to keep learning this lesson.

*2008: McCain was third, at best, among Republicans when the year started. No one had any clue who Sarah Palin was. Meanwhile, Hillary was the heavy favorite over Obama.

*1992: Everyone laughed at the field of Democrats and said they had no chance against Bush. Every one of the candidates had huge issue problems, including Clinton, who had a new scandal every two weeks. Perot was in, then he was out, then he was back in again.

#41 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

Posted Image

Wasn't Goldwater the first one to mobilize the Christian right on behalf of Reagan?

#42 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,766 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

I kind of doubt it, and if it was, it was very early on, Goldwater was in opposition to a lot of what the religious right stood for.

#43 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

yea, i think i'm mistaken about that.

either way, i've always had great respect for goldwater.

#44 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

Like I said in another thread, the Republicans are doomed until they finally let go of all conservative Bible-thumping ideals that are going to hold them back.

To be quite honest, as Science progresses decade by decade, people are finally starting to realize that religion belongs in history, not in the future. More and more people are coming to terms that they just dont believe anymore, and quite honestly, alot of so-called Christians dont believe themselves, they just show up to church because they are afraid of the word "agnostic" or "atheist", and more importantly... are afraid of being labeled as one by thier community.

The main supporter base for the ultra conservatives are people that are 70+ years of age, the generation before the 'boomers' that pushed for social revolution. The 'boomers' were tired of the ultra-conservatism back then, and they still are now.

Christians are seen more and more as loonies every day, and people that dont fundamentally believe are scared o have a country run by a mad-man that wants to end abortion, censor hollywood, start wars in the middle-east and defend isreal to the death.

Get religion out of your politics if you want to remain an equal party to the democrats.

I find the situation to be very scary, because I think that the democrats are going to spend us into oblivion, and I cant imagine a scenario that will defeat them until this happens.

Edited by chris999, 15 February 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#45 Claws

Claws

• HUDDLER
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

Christians are seen more and more as loonies every day, and people that dont fundamentally believe are scared o have a country run by a mad-man that wants to end abortion, censor hollywood, start wars in the middle-east and defend isreal to the death.

this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com