#31 EMSMedic79

EMSMedic79

Member since 2005

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • LocationOn the Water

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Keep two QB's Newton/Anderson. No need for the 3rd on the 53 man roster. At the end of FA, find one and place on the practice squad as a reserve. That's what we did with Hunter Cantwell. We need the depth in other areas. Honestly if we get down to a 3rd QB, we're screwed anyway.

#32 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,642 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

Keep two QB's Newton/Anderson. No need for the 3rd on the 53 man roster. At the end of FA, find one and place on the practice squad as a reserve. That's what we did with Hunter Cantwell. We need the depth in other areas. Honestly if we get down to a 3rd QB, we're screwed anyway.

but a good backup has proven to be valuable. Anderson is more playbook mentor than backup.

#33 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,136 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Can't you sign an UDFA like Jordan Jefferson or Dominique Davis to the practice squad for that?

You can and some teams do just that. It depends on how much you like who you have and how much you are paying them. That could be a consideration if they have decided that Clausen is definitely not in the future plans. But with the dearth of quality guys out there, we could be hanging on to him hoping to trade for a 3rd or 4th if he has a good preseason.Doesn't mean we could bring a UDFA like those 2 either.

#34 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

I don't think there is a specific need for a "Cam like" QB to be the backup. All that would happen if the backup needed to play is Chud would toss out all the designed runs. There are still plenty of plays in the playbook a non-mobile QB could run.

#35 The Saw

The Saw

Also a Panther fan.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

If I'm not mistaken, weren't there reports that part of why he was released was because he didn't want to tutor Gabbert.

You're mistaken.
Garrard was cut because he sucked in preseason, which turned out to be because he played injured.

Anyway, Garrard or Dixon!

#36 PantherAZ

PantherAZ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

I think we should only carry 2 QBs, because we really don't need 3. My list includes Jason Campbell, Dennis Dixon, David Garrard, or Seneca Wallace.

Agreed. I'm no coach/ GM, but with the new 3rd QB rule I don't see why anyone would carry 3 anyway. He's just going to be inactive every game. This is especially the case with AE on the roster. We can plug him in at QB in an emergency situation. Not ideal, but no worse than any 3rd QB. I'm all for Wilson late in the draft, but then again, I'm biased.

#37 TheOracle

TheOracle

Know-It-All

• HUDDLER
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

Cam Newton
Derek Anderson/Russell Wilson

Rex Grossman..:biggrinjester:

#38 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Tyrod Taylor...

Not even a big fan, but I think he's got the talent and work ethic to be a good player.

#39 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,510 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

Matt Moore
Posted Image

#40 charlotte49er

charlotte49er

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,542 posts
  • LocationCharlotte-Mint HIll, NC

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

If you starter gets injured, you need a back up to your back up. It's just doesn't make sense to have only 2 QBs.

Several teams carry their 3rd on their practice squad. You can always activate him if needed, The downside is that if he's any good, another team might sign him.

Tebone for #2 anyone?? Probably cheaper than Derrick Anderson.

Aren't you forgetting about Jimmy "I'm no pickle" Clausen?

#41 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

The Golden Calf of Bristol behind Cam after it was the other way around at UF. Interesting.

#42 Mr ocho nueve

Mr ocho nueve

Cam can't have my Number

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

I hope AE is not an option at QB, nothing against the guy but I hope he doesn't play for the Panthers next year.

#43 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

I'd rather have a backup who is an effective pocket passer than get a runner who can't throw for poo- and all of the mobile QB backup options are poor passers. Nobody is going to come close to duplicating Cams combination of skills, so a guy who can at least muster a respectable passing game should be the priority.

#44 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,642 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

Cam's backup needs to be able to do 1 thing....hang on the pocket and go downfield. That is what Chud is about

Edited by CRA, 12 March 2012 - 07:29 PM.

#45 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:16 PM

I'd rather have a backup who is an effective pocket passer than get a runner who can't throw for poo- and all of the mobile QB backup options are poor passers. Nobody is going to come close to duplicating Cams combination of skills, so a guy who can at least muster a respectable passing game should be the priority.

Obviously you've never seen Russell Wilson play QB. You can argue he is too short to play in the NFL, (he's not) but he led the nation in pass efficiency at Wisconsin and set the NCAA record for consecutive attempts without an interception while at NC State.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.