Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jtnc

Panthers Are Listening To Offer For J-Stew

244 posts in this topic

I really like JStew, but he won't get Herchel Walker interest...but we can dream, right?

Yea. :)

I don't think even Adrian Peterson would get Herschel Walker interest today. Running backs aren't as in demand as they were back in the 80's.

I don't think that we will have to trade Stew. We just signed a FB that can play RB and he's getting FB money. Tolberts contract won't/doesn't affect Stews contract. D Will contract may, he may have to renegoiate his contract for us to keep Stew and we will need to extend Smith to give us more cap space.

DWill just signed his deal. Doubt he would renegotiate at this point.

Second, if the reports that Stewart was not interested last year in talking extension, people's belief that he loves it here and WANTS to share snaps with DWill may be nothing but Panther homerism. Stew is looking for two things.....(1) to get paid (this will likely be his only BIG contract and (2) a chance to be the primary RB.

He is not likely to get either in Carolina.

For a 2nd rounder...you jump on the trade

For a 3rd rounder....you think hard about it. We are not guaranteed a 3rd comp pick for Stew (he shares snaps with DWill). And, the comp pick would be in teh 2014 draft. A 3rd today is worth a lot more than a 3rd in two years.

My theory is this==Panthers do not get a pick for Stew (w/ new contract, a must). They use him to move up 5 picks in this year's draft.

Cleveland gets: #9 pick, Stewart with a new deal (now they don't have to take RB at #4) AND West Coast Offense QB Jimmy Clausen.

Panthers get: #4 pick in the draft (Morris Claiborne)

Or we could keep a boat load of players in the offensive backfield while the defense plays scrubs.

My theory is this==Panthers do not get a pick for Stew (w/ new contract, a must). They use him to move up 5 picks in this year's draft.

Cleveland gets: #9 pick, Stewart with a new deal (now they don't have to take RB at #4) AND West Coast Offense QB Jimmy Clausen.

Panthers get: #4 pick in the draft (Morris Claiborne)

Or we could keep a boat load of players in the offensive backfield while the defense plays scrubs.

Bad trade for Carolina.

If Cleveland is really interested in Stew, I see their 2nd round pick for him.

They take Blackmon at #4, get their feature back in Stew...and still have their #22 pick.

Give McCoy some weapons.

DWill just signed his deal. Doubt he would renegotiate at this point.

Second, if the reports that Stewart was not interested last year in talking extension, people's belief that he loves it here and WANTS to share snaps with DWill may be nothing but Panther homerism. Stew is looking for two things.....(1) to get paid (this will likely be his only BIG contract and (2) a chance to be the primary RB.

He is not likely to get either in Carolina.

For a 2nd rounder...you jump on the trade

For a 3rd rounder....you think hard about it. We are not guaranteed a 3rd comp pick for Stew (he shares snaps with DWill). And, the comp pick would be in teh 2014 draft. A 3rd today is worth a lot more than a 3rd in two years.

D Will just signed a huge deal and I think that he will be willing to renegotiate to keep Stew if Stew wants to stay. The reports are just that, reports. But if Stew wants to leave, doesn't want to sign an extension, want more money than we can pay, then yes we should trade him now. But if he wants to stay, we'd have a helluva a RB core.

D Will just signed a huge deal and I think that he will be willing to renegotiate to keep Stew if Stew wants to stay. The reports are just that, reports. But if Stew wants to leave, doesn't want to sign an extension, want more money than we can pay, then yes we should trade him now. But if he wants to stay, we'd have a helluva a RB core.

With the new offense in Carolina, having multiple stud RB's in not necessary.

If you expect DWill to renegotiate and us to sign Stew to a huge contract....you will be disappointed.

That would tie up over $15M per season at the RB position....over 10% of your salary cap.

It WILL NOT happen.

Options.....trade stew now or watch him walk at the end of the season.

If we get an offer for Stew, it better be something out of this fuging world, or this forum will see the first virtual riot since re-signing Delhomme. The more I think about it, Stewart and Tolbert are the same kind of back, and the writing may be on the wall. [We just don't want to see it] I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that Deangelo got a nice contract (at what now appears) at the expense of Stewart remaining as a Panther. Everyone knows that Stewart was drafted to be our back of the future, and D-Will's one outstanding season put a kink in the plans. But, I am thinking that Hurney sometimes thinks a little too in "the now", and fails to make the solid investments for the future. He has failed to see the big picture, and lets loyalty cloud judgment.

I'm not opposed to trading Stew if he doesn't want to be a part of what we're building. Like it or not, Tolbert is listed as a FB and is getting paid like a FB. We don't/didn't have a slotted FB, we had a hybrid TE; who's not as fast or as athletic as Tolbert. If Stew wants to stay and will take less money than a starting RB and D Will is willing to redo his deal, it will work. Keep them both is better for them both cause it extends both their careers. Stew is starter material, I won't blame him if he wants top dollar and a starting position elsewhere. But I would love to see what Chud can do with our RB core.

Damn, are you totally new to NFL football.

Another team would NOT give up anything of value without having a new long-term deal discussed. There is no way they would give up a pick to have him for one year.

The quality and knowledge of posters on this board is really declining lately.

Of course no team will give anything of value for one year of a rookie contract unless they planned on using the tag for 2013, that's been my question on this from the start. So Team X proposes their 2nd for Stewart pending contract negotiations? So then Carolina allows JStew to negotiate an acceptable deal with team X? And he's going to be real interested to deal with some random team? OK. I don't see this happening. Maybe I am a low quality, ignorant example of the decline in the overall quality of this board. But you're saying that a team could give up a 2nd and have to negotiate a deal for Stewart to get top 5 money before any agreement would be made? They're probably lining up at the door for that.

I hope you are right L89, but I am certainly not holding my breath. I am storing up pitchforks and cans of gasoline just in case.

Ah sweet speculation. Without you where would the Huddle be?

Stewy ain't talkin, Panther FO ain't talkin, whole lotta not talkin goin on. Until something does, or doesn't, happen. All we can do is speculate.

My money is on Stewy being here in two years. Unless everything I have learned about him over the past few years is incorrect. He will not be the first player to leave money on the table to stay with a team he really wants to play for. When you are talking about 40mil, what's a few mil here or there?

It's called home town discount, and it is frequently used.

Lions fans are in the same boat about Avril. Most think he is worth the money, just not from the Lions. Too much talent on the DL to pay him. Avril, who had 10 sacks last year, is on the last year of his rookie deal. If he has another great year, he is going to command top dollar. But, he won't sign his long term deal either.

You do not let your home grown talent walk. Unless they force your hand. Then the gloves are off.

I do not believe Stewy is the greedy type. Which is why I believe that if the Panthers pony up close to what his value commands. He will remain a Panther. Whereas with Avril, I ain't so sure. He is pretty adamant about getting top shelf pay.

Mkay, I'm done. And GOOOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course no team will give anything of value for one year of a rookie contract unless they planned on using the tag for 2013, that's been my question on this from the start. So Team X proposes their 2nd for Stewart pending contract negotiations? So then Carolina allows JStew to negotiate an acceptable deal with team X? And he's going to be real interested to deal with some random team? OK. I don't see this happening. Maybe I am a low quality, ignorant example of the decline in the overall quality of this board. But you're saying that a team could give up a 2nd and have to negotiate a deal for Stewart to get top 5 money before any agreement would be made? They're probably lining up at the door for that.

You know, I was going to say sign and trade. But now I am confusing myself. Stewy has to sign an extension that team b finds exceptable. The trade then goes through, and team b picks up said contract. I think. But that does not sound right. Cuz Stewy could just not sign the extension and nullify the deal. And that don't happen in football.

A big part of me says not to worry. Stewy ain't going anywhere. So I going with that.