Photo
- - - - -

The Rookie Cap (And How It Benefits The Panthers This Year)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,217 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

Just imagine last year without the rookie cap. Do you think that Marty Hurney would have pulled the trigger Cam Newton if he had to pay him $70M? I'd like to think he would but somewhere in my gullet I believe he may have opted for the safer pick...like a DT. Ugh. Thank The Golden Calf of Bristol for a rookie cap, right?

Well this year the rookie cap might actually help the Panthers once again. Rookie contracts are much lower than they used to be and are set by the league. So there's no holdouts no real negotiations. Sign here and play for us for 4-5 years.

Still, people keep saying that picking a RB like Richardson or reaching for a QB like Tannehill in the Top 5 is way too high. Not anymore.

Teams drafting in the Top 10 can take more chances on prospects and therefor reach for players that 2 years ago wouldn't have made any sense.

Need a QB Cleveland....why not Tannehill? He would have been a huge reach 2 years ago. Now his contract is much more manageable and the gamble isn't as huge. The same can be said for Richardson, Floyd and a host of other picks that people do not think are a consensus Top 10 players.

Teams can worry less about where they are picking and feel safe selecting THEIR guy.

Which means for the Panthers at 9...players with higher grades may be available when their pick rolls around.

#2 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

SeƱor Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

That's a good point. I think we already saw some of that last year with Ponder and Locker going as high as that did (Ponder was a big surprise to me.)

#3 jayflip

jayflip

vaya con dios

• HUDDLER
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

Agreed! If only we had the 8 pick instead of 9... I think we could have had some great trade back leverage for Ryan T ahead of Miami...

#4 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,217 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

Tannehill could go to Cleveland at 4.

I could see

Indy -Luck
Wash -RG3
Minn - Blackmon (or Kalil)
Cleve -Tannehill
Tampa -Richardson
StLoKalil (or Blackmon)
Bills - Coples
MIami - Floyd/Ingram
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

#5 jayflip

jayflip

vaya con dios

• HUDDLER
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

That would be a dream scenario

#6 Panther53521

Panther53521

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • LocationHickory, NC

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

with Buffalo's need mostly WR and CB. I could see some interest in a team trading above them to get to Floyd

#7 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Yea, the case definitely applies for the top $ positions. QB, LT and DE

Makes it easier for some BPAs at other positions for teams with lower picks like Carolina this year. Teams will be scrambling for cheap QBs and LTs, and players like Richardson, Blackmon and hopefully Claiborne, who are top 5 talents will fall.

#8 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,217 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

I could also see Miami move up to #3 to secure Tannehill. I know crazy, right. Not good for us bc if that happens Morris goes to Minn at #8. Thats when you wish they had a Minnesota Vikings "draft moment".

#9 tondi

tondi

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

Not to mention how much extra money we have this season (and in future seasons) to sign players because we are getting such a great deal on Cam. If he had been paid Bradford money his cap number would be much higher and we would have a lot less room to maneuver for everyone else. Now when his rookie deal expires he is going to take us to the cleaners, as is his right, but at least by that point we will know what we are getting.

#10 cotblock

cotblock

Don't Call Me Junior Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Location34.887133,-81.00769

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

Tampa Bay is gonna pick Claiborne.

#11 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,217 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

Why do you think that? They have a couple needs....wouldn't a Richardson/Gillmore combo be better than a Claiborne/Lamar Miller combo?

#12 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

with Buffalo's need mostly WR and CB. I could see some interest in a team trading above them to get to Floyd

bills really dont need secondary help. they don't have any superstars there but they have lots of depth and quality starters at safety and corner. they need offensive tackles, linebackers and wide outs.

#13 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

I want Poe in the first, and Burfict in the 2nd.

#14 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

It doesn't matter who you want!

Posted Image

#15 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,217 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.