#151 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,740 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

Chiari malformations (CMs) are structural defects in the cerebellum, the part of the brain that controls balance. When the indented bony space at the lower rear of the skull is smaller than normal, the cerebellum and brainstem can be pushed downward. The resulting pressure on the cerebellum can block the flow of cerebrospinal fluid (the liquid that surrounds and protects the brain and spinal cord) and can cause a range of symptoms including dizziness, muscle weakness, numbness, vision problems, headache, and problems with balance and coordination. There are three primary types of CM. The most common is Type I, which may not cause symptoms and is often found by accident during an examination for another condition. Type II (also called Arnold-Chiari malformation) is usually accompanied by a myelomeningocele-a form of spina bifida that occurs when the spinal canal and backbone do not close before birth, causing the spinal cord to protrude through an opening in the back. This can cause partial or complete paralysis below the spinal opening. Type III is the most serious form of CM, and causes severe neurological defects. Other conditions sometimes associated with CM include hydrocephalus, syringomyelia, and spinal curvature.

http://www.ninds.nih...iari/chiari.htm

I have no idea which type he has though.

#152 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 16,267 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

http://www.ninds.nih...iari/chiari.htm

Maybe some GMs were just talking out of their ass then, b/c it seems the biggest risk associated with the condition is motor skill-related, and he clearly has no problems in that department. Obviously, hydrocephalus can cause some serious damage and would have some harmful ramifications cognitively if it isn't addressed, but he didn't have surgery for it until he was in high school.

I'm not really seeing how that would have any effect on his ability to process or communicate as that one GM suggested? I don't know, it's out of my payscale, lol. I'm hoping and believing it has no effect on him now and he'll be a big addition for us.

#153 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

I would assume type1. If I remember correctly the 2s and 3s don't survive long and if they do, I don't think football would ever be an option.

#154 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

The issue really comes down to what the comorbid cognitive impairments associated with brain malformation are for this particular case. Truth be told, something happened in the interview process that turned this physically rated top 10 prospect into a 4th rounder drafted by the Raiders.

#155 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,307 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

This thread needs a Doctor

paging Dr. Oz

Posted Image

#156 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus