Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peppermint9030

The Case For Coples At 9...

I think Coples would be a solid defender. I just look at the Giants success and hope for the same.

I've read repeatedly this guy is not in Peppers class. I keep seeing people compare him to a top3 pick. They feel like he's a steal at 9 that slipped because of motor. That's not the case. He is not a complete DE.

I've read repeatedly this guy is not in Peppers class. I keep seeing people compare him to a top3 pick. They feel like he's a steal at 9 that slipped because of motor. That's not the case. He is not a complete DE.

Why?

Based on what? How can you say hes not a complete defensive end? It shows in the tape when hes going 110% hes dominant, when he doesn't hes not dominant...That to me sounds like a lack of motor over physical ability.

Coples is raw. He's a project with a lot of upside. He might still be a bust. Also, quickness and speed r 2 different things. 4.6 is speed.

I think we may grab Coples. As much as people harp on how bad our DT's played, at the end of the day they were two of Rivera's very first draft picks, and I doubt he gives up on them so quickly. DT isn't the instant NCAA-NFL transition that people think it is. I really, really believe that Rivera will give McClain and Fua a minimum of another season or two to succeed before cutting ties and drafting replacements.

A top quality DT in the draft would make the rotation stronger. Nobody that is any good has to worry about their job. Fua and McClain as well as Hardy can all rotate in. We lack that prototypical "monster" inside, everybody knows it. You must have quality talent at key positions.

I'd love to get a top quality pass rusher. Coples is a special athlete and if he is there we should pick him up. I like the fact that he can move inside already. Pep needed to add weight to do that. Coples is coming in bigger. I wouldn't worry about motivation in the NFL though.

yeah thats why he is the top ranked DE on most draftniks boards.

Being the top tanked DE and being an elite DE prospect is not the same. Coples had success playing in a 3 pt stance. All of his success came as a DT his junior year. His senior year he played with a 4 pt stance as an edge rusher and he struggled. Greg Cosell calls him a power rusher with strong hands. He doesn't have the elite quickness to get around the edge. He projects as a run stuffer. Not a pass rusher. I'll link a podcast were Greg talks about it on WFNZ but to paraphrase he says "He's certainly not Julius Peppers, I don't even think he's Mario Williams"

I'm sure some of you will disagree with Cosell. What do you see in Coples? All I hear is nice measurables. Poe has nice measurables. Neither of them did squat in 2011. Neither of them went up against dominant opposition.

here's the link if you care enough: http://nyc.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/d0/d8/dJ/dW/108JW_3.MP3?authtok=5561741422405739910_9twpyGevakWKDdHzweKaNZI08

Lineman will most likely be BPA at our pick.

While I feel there is just as much risk with Coples as there is with Poe, I wouldn't be upset.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Icy89