• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

I think what is comical is you thinking any of us Duke fans on here think that next years team will be special. Munch, Popcorn, and myself have never claimed to have a special team next season but we do have proven players and only lost 1 starter. To have a poll out already is stupid not to mention having Duke behind unc in the poll makes no sense. unc has 0 players coming back that averaged double figures in scoring while Duke returns 3 players that did. unc's team this year could be good enough to contend for the Acc title or could end up finishing in the 6-8 range, you just never know with what they lost. Duke on the other hand will win the Acc or finish no worse then 2nd or 3rd and could be a top 5 team in the country if Cook can be the PG we all expected when he came out of Oak Hill. Rumors are also swirling that Mike Gbinije is transfering which could mean Amile Jefferson is on his way to Durham.

Yeh, Gbinije is pretty much gone. I still don't know why he didn't get more PT during the season, seeing as most games we could have used his size at the 3. But I guess he just wasn't coming along how K liked or something, but who knows. I think him leaving is less of a factor for Amile, than whether or not CJ Leslie stays or goes. If he stays, Amile will come to Duke, if he goes, Amile is going to NC State.

#32 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

Yeh, Gbinije is pretty much gone. I still don't know why he didn't get more PT during the season, seeing as most games we could have used his size at the 3. But I guess he just wasn't coming along how K liked or something, but who knows. I think him leaving is less of a factor for Amile, than whether or not CJ Leslie stays or goes. If he stays, Amile will come to Duke, if he goes, Amile is going to NC State.

Yeah kids now don't seem to want to pay their dues, they don't get the PT they seem to think they deserve and they move on. I mean realistically only 15 to 20 percent of freshmen are ready to come in and make an impact their first year. Maybe part of it is how Duke likes to run the 3 guard lineup which takes away the need of the small forward but either way I wish silent G the best. FWIW I don't think Leslie is going anywhere so I hope you are right about Jefferson.

#33 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Let's not get all worked up over preseason polls...like that will happen :rolleyes: .

I think the bottom line for next year is that Carolina has a lot of work to do to make it even to the sweet 16. I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it, I don't trust freshmen PG's, which is probably what we'll be starting with. And even if Paige doesn't start (maybe Strickland will start at PG, which I doubt), we don't have any natural PG's on the roster. We have some good combo guards, but to be a really good team you need a really good PG, especially with Roy ball.

I expect a rough start for the Heels, and depending on the development of Paige, I think we finish about 3rd in the conference. If Paige is better than I think he'll be it's possible we could contend for the ACC championship. In any case I don't see us making it past the first weekend in the NCAA's. Of course all of this is conjecture, because we don't know what we have with Paige...he will make or break our season (and by "make" I don't mean winning a NC...I mean top 3 ACC and make the NCAA tourney with a 4 seed or better.)

What's really weird in all this is that NC State may well be the best basketball team in NC next year. That hasn't happened since I was a kid.

#34 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Yeah kids now don't seem to want to pay their dues, they don't get the PT they seem to think they deserve and they move on. I mean realistically only 15 to 20 percent of freshmen are ready to come in and make an impact their first year. Maybe part of it is how Duke likes to run the 3 guard lineup which takes away the need of the small forward but either way I wish silent G the best. FWIW I don't think Leslie is going anywhere so I hope you are right about Jefferson.

I think it would be a mistake for Leslie to go, but some people cant shake that instant payday. I know if it were me, I have had the choice at millions of dollars, or school work for another year, it would be tough to pass it up.

Btw, I don't know if you noticed, but this Mr TD guy is neg repping every post we make. Guess that is how Walmart teach's you to get back at someone when you can't offer an intelligent argument.

#35 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

Btw, I don't know if you noticed, but this Mr TD guy is neg repping every post we make. Guess that is how Walmart teach's you to get back at someone when you can't offer an intelligent argument.

And yet calling him a Walmart Heel fan is somehow an enlightening, value adding, discussion tool?

#36 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Let's not get all worked up over preseason polls...like that will happen :rolleyes: .

I think the bottom line for next year is that Carolina has a lot of work to do to make it even to the sweet 16. I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it, I don't trust freshmen PG's, which is probably what we'll be starting with. And even if Paige doesn't start (maybe Strickland will start at PG, which I doubt), we don't have any natural PG's on the roster. We have some good combo guards, but to be a really good team you need a really good PG, especially with Roy ball.

I expect a rough start for the Heels, and depending on the development of Paige, I think we finish about 3rd in the conference. If Paige is better than I think he'll be it's possible we could contend for the ACC championship. In any case I don't see us making it past the first weekend in the NCAA's. Of course all of this is conjecture, because we don't know what we have with Paige...he will make or break our season (and by "make" I don't mean winning a NC...I mean top 3 ACC and make the NCAA tourney with a 4 seed or better.)

What's really weird in all this is that NC State may well be the best basketball team in NC next year. That hasn't happened since I was a kid.

I think its a forgone conclusion to just about anyone who isn't irrationally biased that NC State has the best shot at winning the ACC next year. Their team was starting to come together at the end of they year, AND they ended up getting a pretty sick recruiting class. Only real guy they are losing is CJ Williams, and he should be fairly easily replaced by Rodney Purvis. They got a solid backup PG coming in Tyler Lewis, and another good rotation guy(for freshman year at least) in TJ Warren. Plus, I just saw they are still in the running for Torian Graham as well.

#37 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

And yet calling him a Walmart Heel fan is somehow an enlightening, value adding, discussion tool?

So I'm supposed to write a long post chronicling how immature of a person he is that he neg rep's people just to be a troll?

And incase you didn't notice, I actually was talking about and adding something to the conversation. Not just adding a thoughtless LOL in a single post and calling it a day.

#38 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

So I'm supposed to write a long post chronicling how immature of a person he is that he neg rep's people just to be a troll?

Maybe ignore it? Surely you must realize that making a statement such as the one you did might be seen as a general attack on people who haven't attended UNC and are Heel fans? I think it detracts from any otherwise intelligent or thought provoking statement contained in any of your posts.

#39 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

Maybe ignore it? Surely you must realize that making a statement such as the one you did might be seen as a general attack on people who haven't attended UNC and are Heel fans? I think it detracts from any otherwise intelligent or thought provoking statement contained in any of your posts.

I disagree, I see it as an attack on 1 maybe 2 irrational heels fans that can't seem to add anything to the discussion and when proven wrong they hide and neg rep. Stan you have had some good post that I have enjoyed reading so don't take up for some moron just because he pulls for the same school as you. There are some jack@$$ Duke fans out there that I would never take up for because they can't look at things rationally.

#40 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

I have a ton of respect for people who actually went to Carolina, while many of them are still crazily biased, at least they know their facts. I have 6 members of my extended fam that went to UNC(my 4 cousins were like brothers to me), and know quite a few other people who actually attended UNC. I am not trying to put down actual UNC alum's bc most of them know what they are talking about. But for every 1 of them, there seem to be 5 fans who don't know a damn thing about Carolina and like them only because its, for a lack of a better word, trendy. The guys that you don't hear a thing about UNC from, unless Duke loses, or Carolina does something impressive. Those are the people I am talking about. The kind of people like the ones in my neighborhood, during the NIT season you had, there were absolutely no Carolina flags or w/e in peoples yards. Yet, the season before, there were between 5-8 yards with UNC stuff in it. It bothers me, no matter what team, when the fans pick and choose when they want to be a fan. Thats why I have watched almost every Duke game since i was about 10, only missed a couple of Panthers games, watched every Manchester United game for the past 4 years, etc. My team's are my team because I am invested in them, good season or bad doesn't change that.

Edit: Didn't mean to run a little off topic, but fair weather fans piss me off.

#41 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

I disagree, I see it as an attack on 1 maybe 2 irrational heels fans that can't seem to add anything to the discussion and when proven wrong they hide and neg rep. Stan you have had some good post that I have enjoyed reading so don't take up for some moron just because he pulls for the same school as you. There are some jack@$$ Duke fans out there that I would never take up for because they can't look at things rationally.

This.

#42 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

Wasn't taking up for him, not my place to. I don't like the term Walmart fan...because I never attended UNC. Nevermind the fact that probably 95% of the fans of any college sports team with a great tradition, never attended the school (so it's not just UNC that has "Walmart" fans). I just find it irrational that anyone would question anybody else's loyalty to any team particularly on a message board where most people don't know each other personally. Now if Munch knew this guy, and the guy exhibited the trademarks of the "fairweather" UNC fan...then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Just seems like a general desperation attack, where an attack really isn't needed...especially one that may be viewed as an attack on a general group of people. I used to get neg repped all the time (back in my trolling days)...and that didn't bother me in the least, in fact it probably fed into more trolling. It's entertainment for some people. I realize that's never going to change, there will always be trollers, but my point is don't feed into it by acknowledging it...and in the process possibly alienating other people you may not have intended to.

#43 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

My wife went to unc and her whole family bleeds unc blue but they are rational, you can have a discussion with them that makes sense. My issue is with the unc fans who can't seem to see that this years team has flaws and some pretty glaring ones. I think they can be pretty good or pretty bad it's kind of a crapshoot with them, no proven scorers, or proven ball handlers plus you bring in a bunch of freshmen. This unc team reminds me a lot of the 09-10 team, with no proven scorers or ball handlers, role players and a load of freshmen coming in (Henson, Strickland, Mcdonald, D. Wear, and T. Wear).

#44 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

I'm not neg repping you. I'm not even sure how to do it actually.

http://collegebasket...sfer-from-duke/

#45 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

Already been talked about and no biggie really. Quick! Name a Duke transfer that has gone on to bigger and better things in the last 20 years. Whenever Duke has a huge recruiting class there is always someone who feels leftout. Good luck to Michael Gbinije wherever he lands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com