51 replies to this topic

#46 Tarheel31

Tarheel31

cynical pessimist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

I doubt it has anything to do with oil. Oil is as natural as trees.

!!!

This is my new favorite post!

You know what else is natural? URANIUM!

#47 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

hahahah... as natural as cancer.

#48 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Al Jazeera sucks. They are basically the Huffington Post/Fox news of the Arab world.

One of the big problems with the article is that they cite only studies or scientist that support their purpose in the article without counterbalancing it with articles that go against what they are trying to say. Here is a prime example.

One guy says the brown shrimp harvest is down by 2/3rds.

But here is another article on the subject that would indicate otherwise

Notice that the times picayune looked at the whole harvest, not just a few people's opinion or personal analysis.

Its not that I don't believe Al Jazeera's article could be correct, or at least have some element of truth in it. But a good research article would look at both sides of an issue, not just one.

Its going to take time to determine the true impact of the gulf oil spill and all the dispersants used. We will have to see studies from a multitude of sources both government and independent.

So damn good it is worth repeating.

#49 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

This is great! Maybe we will finally have some new varieties of seafood. I doubt it has anything to do with oil. Oil is as natural as trees.

The oil isnt good for the wildlife, but I think that it is the dispersants that BP used that is more harmful than the ecosystem.

The dispersants that BP used are illigal in the US, but BP used them anyway, so that they could save money with the clean-up process.

BP has spent less money on this cleanup than they make in a single day.

#50 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

I don't understand...

I just saw a commercial where a BP spokesperson said everything was OK in the Gulf of Mexico!

They can't lie on TV, can they?

#51 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,780 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

Seafood processors say last year's brown-shrimp season was good, but the white-shrimp catch was off. Oyster beds not hurt by floods of fresh Mississippi River water released to keep the oil offshore or to relieve record flooding last year have seen strong harvests. Some areas where the harvest was delayed in 2010 because of concerns that oil tainted the shellfish have seen weaker harvests.
The 2011 brown shrimp harvest in Louisiana was the largest since 2007, at approximately 37.7 million pounds, according to a preliminary analysis in the The Times-Picayune in New Orleans in January.

duh, the oil turned the white shrimp into brown shrimp

#52 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

The fear here on the Gulf coast is that most of the oil has settled to the ocean floor, and when the next hurricane comes, it is going to stir it all back up and dump it on our beaches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com