Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyMagic97

College Football Playoff Format

73 posts in this topic

I would like all BCS conference teams to send their conference winner and then have a lottery to decide who plays who. Completely random. If the best teams are really the best teams, they will end up playing against each other at some point. Also have room for At-Large berths for non-BCS teams or wildcards.

I really don't trust talking heads and BCS committees to decide who plays who because they will go for ratings and often times overrated teams will play other overrated teams for a lackluster game.

This is what I want:

ACC #1

Big 12 #1

Big East #1

Big 10 #1

Pac 12 #1

SEC #1

At-Large (highest ranked non-champ)

At-Large (second highest non-champ)

Conference Champs are ranked 1-6 based on BCS/Coaches/Media whatever rankings. Both At-Large teams are seeded 7 and 8 (want a higher seed, then win your conference). Top 4 seeds host the lower 4 seeds at their home stadium. Same thing goes for the second round. The Championship will be played at a neutral location. This year could have played out like this:

Friday, December 23:

1) LSU vs. 8) Stanford

3) Oregon vs. 6) West Virginia

Saturday, December 24:

2) OK State vs. 7) Alabama

4) Wisconsin vs. 5) Clemson

Friday, December 30:

1) LSU vs. 3) Oregon

Saturday, December 31:

2) OK State vs. 4) Wisconson

Monday, January 9:

1) LSU vs. 2) OK State

This is what I want:

ACC #1

Big 12 #1

Big East #1

Big 10 #1

Pac 12 #1

SEC #1

At-Large (highest ranked non-champ)

At-Large (second highest non-champ)

Conference Champs are ranked 1-6 based on BCS/Coaches/Media whatever rankings. Both At-Large teams are seeded 7 and 8 (want a higher seed, then win your conference). Top 4 seeds host the lower 4 seeds at their home stadium. Same thing goes for the second round. The Championship will be played at a neutral location. This year could have played out like this:

Friday, December 23:

1) LSU vs. 8) Stanford

3) Oregon vs. 6) West Virginia

Saturday, December 24:

2) OK State vs. 7) Alabama

4) Wisconsin vs. 5) Clemson

Friday, December 30:

1) LSU vs. 3) Oregon

Saturday, December 31:

2) OK State vs. 4) Wisconson

Monday, January 9:

1) LSU vs. 2) OK State

I would absolutely HATE that format.

The playoff shoudl be the best teams in the country (no matter whether that is 4 teams...6 teams...8 teams...etc). To tie them to the major conference winners does not fulfill that.

Use the BCS ranking system (best we have...using polls, models, etc) and have the top teams compete. Screw the conf champions.

I jsut don't think that a 15th or 20th ranked team from a conference should be in over a 6th or 7th ranked team.

Yea, I am 100% against the conference auto-bid format.

By that system, you legitimately put Clemson as a higher seed than Alabama. That is more flawed than the current system.

Yea, I am 100% against the conference auto-bid format.

By that system, you legitimately put Clemson as a higher seed than Alabama. That is more flawed than the current system.

I am 100% for it. You give to much power to the media. What makes the current system flawed is that teams like MIchigan VT get a sugar bowl bid when both honestly had very deceptive records. How different would the NFL playoffs had been different if there wasn't an auto bid system. If Alabama is better than Clemson then they will prove it on the field and advance. We are talking about a 8 team playoff formatt not march madness.

The whole lets just have the top BCS teams play if off doesnt fix the problem you just extend a psuedo band aid.

But with that system it's not always the top 8 teams.

Why did VT have a deceptive record? Because they played in the same conference that Clemson played in. You may say that too much power is given to the media, but I say your system gives too much power to a these poor conferences.

That Clemson team would not have won more than 8 games in the SEC. I don't care about "prove it on the field" if it means you are taking away a bid from a deserving team just because the Big East or ACC team won their garbage conference. I don't know of anyone who watches college football that would even begin to compare the challenges of playing an SEC, Pac 12, Big 10, or even Big 12 conference schedule vs. that of an ACC schedule. Which is clearly evidenced by the fact that I'm pretty sure West Virginia is still scoring on Clemson.

Because alot of it depends on where you start out. In your scenario a team that starts outside of the top 25 regardless of conference will not have enough pull to make it unless it runs the table. Lets say Baylor who was not in one of your "garbage confernces" starts outside the top 25. They have 2 losses early in the season get hot and win out the rest of the year hold tiebreakers with other teams and win their conference. Only problem is they started unranked form pre-season polls and our currently ranked 11 and can not enter your new playoff system. So in affect you have only extended the problem.

Don't think if you won the Big XII with 2 losses you'd be ranked 11.

Well maybe not 11 but I could see them at 9 in that scenario if alot of teams had 2 losses. I mean it takes some teams awhile to get into the top 25. Imagine if NW had lost a couple early and then went on a streak.

And plenty of teams that are conference winners are out of the top 8 so it can go either way. I see more problems occurring with the designated conference winners getting an automatic bid.